The Student Room Group

Differentiation

I've been revising this topic a lot however this question is very confusing? Questions b and c

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skyhigh12
I've been revising this topic a lot however this question is very confusing? Questions b and c

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a curve has a stationary point, then the first derivative (gradient) must be...?
The second derivative of a maximum point must be...?
The second derivative of minimum point must be...?
At the point where a curve crosses the x-axis the y-value must be...?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I still can't find the answer :frown: I'm really rubbish on the differentiation topics my teacher didn't help us out enough she was ill for too long. Could you show me the method?
I still can't find the answer :frown: I'm really rubbish on the differentiation topics my teacher didn't help us out enough she was ill for too long. Could you show me the method?

Answers to the sentences above should be: 0, negative, positive, 0.

You should be able to answer your questions now.

If you are still unsure I would advise you to ask your teacher to go over the basics of differentiation again.

I can help you out by showing you the full method, but just get through with what Sherlock has said for now, and if you're stuck I'll help out
Reply 5
Could you show me the full method? I'm still stuck I understand the rules sherlock has given but I don't understand how to apply them
If anywhere looks like blabber, just ask and I'll explain it

It's also not very neat but I'll just help out because of my crappy layout and handwriting

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Trihawk7
If anywhere looks like blabber, just ask and I'll explain it

It's also not very neat but I'll just help out because of my crappy layout and handwriting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for the help, but there is two parts i don't understand I have highlighted them in red. I don't understand how you got x=0 and x=1. Btw at the top you said "cant solve" does that mean that usually you would factorise it.
Sorry for all the questions its just our teacher was really bad and I'm stressing so much :frown:

diffrentiation.jpg
Thanks a lot for the help, but there is two parts i don't understand I have highlighted them in red. I don't understand how you got x=0 and x=1. Btw at the top you said "cant solve" does that mean that usually you would factorise it.
Sorry for all the questions its just our teacher was really bad and I'm stressing so much :frown:

diffrentiation.jpg

Yeah "can't solve" just means to me, to factorise again, I probably use "can't solve" incorrectly so don't say that in an exam.

I got x=0 on the first highlight because x(3x-2)=0, you "skip" the bracket aka 3x-2, so your next thing is the "=0" that probably made no sense but ask your teacher to explain what I did there.

The second one x^2=0 because of the it "skips" the bracket as well, so you're left with x-1 so equal that to 0 again, and again ask your teacher about this is because I suck at explaining this stuff on TSR...

Asking questions is okay! Just to let you know I just done a further maths GCSE paper in June so this stuff is quite fresh in my mind but I'm not on the same exam board (CCEA) :s-smilie:

Ask any other ones if you're stuck, I may not know some because I have a different spec, but they should be around the same.
Reply 9
Yeah "can't solve" just means to me, to factorise again, I probably use "can't solve" incorrectly so don't say that in an exam.

I got x=0 on the first highlight because x(3x-2)=0, you "skip" the bracket aka 3x-2, so your next thing is the "=0" that probably made no sense but ask your teacher to explain what I did there.

The second one x^2=0 because of the it "skips" the bracket as well, so you're left with x-1 so equal that to 0 again, and again ask your teacher about this is because I suck at explaining this stuff on TSR...

Asking questions is okay! Just to let you know I just done a further maths GCSE paper in June so this stuff is quite fresh in my mind but I'm not on the same exam board (CCEA) :s-smilie:

Ask any other ones if you're stuck, I may not know some because I have a different spec, but they should be around the same.

OMG Thank you, You beautiful human being you've been so much help :biggrin: I understand the concept behind it now.

Wish you luck in everything you do,
Cheers :smile:
OMG Thank you, You beautiful human being you've been so much help :biggrin: I understand the concept behind it now.

Wish you luck in everything you do,
Cheers :smile:

If you're stuck with anything else, just pm me
Original post by SherlockHolmes

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between a differential and a derivative. Use derivative.
Original post by Khallil
I'm pretty sure there's a difference between a differential and a derivative. Use derivative.

Cool tell me more
Reply 13
Original post by Khallil

Top kek. :holmes:

I'm in no position to tell you the difference as that's something I'm trying to figure out right now. :smile:
Original post by Zen-Ali

What's a 'top kek'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending