The Student Room Group

Best loan for a car

Any ideas? Barclays one looks quite good, 22.9% APR. I'm looking at getting something small and reliable like a Fiesta or a Clio and I only need to borrow about a grand. Worked out to around £50 a month over 24 months.
Reply 1
Original post by infairverona
Any ideas? Barclays one looks quite good, 22.9% APR. I'm looking at getting something small and reliable like a Fiesta or a Clio and I only need to borrow about a grand. Worked out to around £50 a month over 24 months.

22.9% is insane. You should be looking at 5-10% max.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans

Edit: for a grand you may as well just get a cc with purchases free for 15 months and then balance transfer it if you can't pay it off over 15.

£50 a month comes out to 1200...
(edited 9 years ago)
Interest free credit card for 16 months with Tesco.
Original post by samba
22.9% is insane. You should be looking at 5-10% max.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans

Edit: for a grand you may as well just get a cc with purchases free for 15 months and then balance transfer it if you can't pay it off over 15.

£50 a month comes out to 1200...

I have no idea about loans, I've only had my student one haha. What's a balance transfer? :/

Original post by Friggerpants
Interest free credit card for 16 months with Tesco.

Thank you I'll look into that!
Reply 4
I have no idea about loans, I've only had my student one haha. What's a balance transfer? :/
Thank you I'll look into that!

A balance transfer is moving the debt on one credit card to another. So say you got the tesco card as the user above suggests, you'd make your purchase, and then after 15 months get another credit card with an interest free period and transfer the remainder of the balance to it, which usually costs around 3%.

So say you pay off 50 a month, after 15 months you'll have 250 left, and it'll cost you around £7.50 to move it to a new card. If you don't want the hassle though, just get a loan at the link above. They won't cost that much.
Original post by samba
A balance transfer is moving the debt on one credit card to another. So say you got the tesco card as the user above suggests, you'd make your purchase, and then after 15 months get another credit card with an interest free period and transfer the remainder of the balance to it, which usually costs around 3%.

So say you pay off 50 a month, after 15 months you'll have 250 left, and it'll cost you around £7.50 to move it to a new card. If you don't want the hassle though, just get a loan at the link above. They won't cost that much.

Oh I see, thanks for explaining. I can actually pay it off much quicker than that, I could pay double the £50 a month Barclays wanted comfortably so I guess I could pay it off in 15 months

[e] on that link, for a loan of £1000 it's about 18% so would the credit card be better?
Reply 6
Oh I see, thanks for explaining. I can actually pay it off much quicker than that, I could pay double the £50 a month Barclays wanted comfortably so I guess I could pay it off in 15 months

[e] on that link, for a loan of £1000 it's about 18% so would the credit card be better?

Yep, you'd end up paying no interest with the credit card method.

Here you go: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards
Original post by samba
Yep, you'd end up paying no interest with the credit card method.

Here you go: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards

Brilliant thank you. Was going to work in central London (in law, you'll be interested to know :wink:) but have got a job nearby instead so save £200 a month on travel. Thought I might as well invest so I don't have to get the bus. Thanks!
Reply 8
Brilliant thank you. Was going to work in central London (in law, you'll be interested to know :wink:) but have got a job nearby instead so save £200 a month on travel. Thought I might as well invest so I don't have to get the bus. Thanks!

My sister is on £60k or whatever and still has a room in a shared house lol. Ghetto city. Why not spend a bit more though if you want something reliable? Not like you can't afford it.
Original post by samba
My sister is on £60k or whatever and still has a room in a shared house lol. Ghetto city. Why not spend a bit more though if you want something reliable? Not like you can't afford it.

Yeah I live in Greater London so can commute in but I really don't fancy getting up at half 5 to stand on a smelly tube for 45 mins when I can drive to this job 20 minutes away, and earn the same money! I have some money to put towards it and I'm not fussed with anything fancy, just want something small so the insurance is low etc. Looked into getting a Peugeot 206 but the insurance for me was almost a grand, on a Clio/Fiesta it's about 700/800.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending