The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
City still have the better squad, and their defence should improve substantially. Players like Costa/Fabregas are still inferior to Aguero/Silva by some distance. Mourinho will win nothing again next year I bet, hopefully even sacked mid-season in typical chav fashion :coma:

Fabregas inferior to Silva? No chance. I do agree that City have a chance if Aguero stays fit because he's one of the best, but Chelsea have improved their squad so much in all the areas they're weak (assuming Luis comes in) - didn't miss out on it by match last season so I think it'll be a cake walk this time around.
Original post by Zerforax
You should use the money you would spend on Sanchez on either a midfield player or striker.

£32m is a drop in the ocean to Arsenal in all honesty, plenty more where that came from. Atm we have 1 proper winger in Walcott and everyone knows how little pace we have so a top winger like Sanchez at £30m is a great idea I think.

Would like a striker but which striker? You cant buy what isnt for sale. Either J.Campbell becomes our back up or we'll sign someone fairly average as backup. If Giroud/Walcott/Sanchez/Ramsey score 15 each with Podolski/Cazorla also chipping in then we'll get away without having a top striker perhaps.

Also heavily linked with Schneiderlin as well in fairness.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Fabregas inferior to Silva? No chance. I do agree that City have a chance if Aguero stays fit because he's one of the best, but Chelsea have improved their squad so much in all the areas they're weak (assuming Luis comes in) - didn't miss out on it by match last season so I think it'll be a cake walk this time around.

Think most people would have Silva over Fabregas tbh(and over Ozil)

We'll see how Chelsea's attack looks but I still can see them struggling vs the smaller teams. John Terry will do well to play as many games as he did last season as well, and he's not the only one. Chelsea were very lucky with injuries last season compared with City and still lost out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9482
Mandzukic? Even Mario Gomez if he would be open to a move?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
Gustavo went to Wolfsburg because we weren't in for him.

Depth wise, we're okay. For the 2 pivot roles, we got wilshere, arteta, flamini and Ramsey. Diaby????? Add another name to that, that's plentiful.

For the 3 attacking midfield, we've got tommy, ozil, santi, theo, ox, poldi, Campbell, serge.

Depth wise were fine in midfield. To be caught out, it'll have to be due to terrible management by arsene and medical team or the gods against you- you can't really plan for that.

Just need a better arteta. Khedira or schneiderlin would be fine by me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8867137/transfer-news-arsenal-table-bid-for-bayern-munichs-luiz-gustavo
Reply 9484

Yeah remember reading that. Talks being at an advanced stage suggest not enough money was offered tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You still should have signed him. Chelsea have the league in their pockets.

I don't quite think so. It's an open league and I'm still not too sure about their attack.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You still should have signed him. Chelsea have the league in their pockets.

We didn't need another player in that creative role. Cba to go into all the reasons for this again. People criticised the Ozil signing saying we should have strengthened other areas. If your transfer policy is to sign players to prevent them going to rival clubs then I suggest you rethink as that is incredibly naive.
Original post by FKLW
Yeah remember reading that. Talks being at an advanced stage suggest not enough money was offered tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently it wasn't money tbh. I remember at the time reading that Wenger didn't promise him a starting spot so he opted for Wolfsburg instead.
Reply 9488
Original post by TheEssence
Apparently it wasn't money tbh. I remember at the time reading that Wenger didn't promise him a starting spot so he opted for Wolfsburg instead.

Why wouldn't he have been starting though? Don't get that tbh. Seems like a mistake from AW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Oh ok fair enough. Some journalists are reporting it's a done deal others are saying we're still in talks.

There are reports suggesting Juve are in for Sanchez and he could be going to Italy, so we will probably hear more in the next few days as he is to hold talks with them.
Original post by Icecream1
There are reports suggesting Juve are in for Sanchez and he could be going to Italy, so we will probably hear more in the next few days as he is to hold talks with them.

I heard a while ago about their bid not being high enough or something
Original post by Icecream1

The only way Sanchez is going to Juve is sell they sell Vidal for £45M+, Juve can't afford the fee and the big wages hence why they're buying Iturbe but anything can happen.
Original post by AR_95
I heard a while ago about their bid not being high enough or something

I think Barca said to all interested parties that £30m is the bare minimum. Arsene will probably increase his bid but Barca are yet to hear from Juve.
Original post by FKLW
I disagree personally. If your gonna have a fairly weak team around the midfield area (strength wise) need somebody who is purely there to break up play forcefully. Also considering your likely to play a 4-2-3-1 formation and the DM is next to Ramsey/Wilshere who both go forward, having someone like Khedira will just mean your defence is exposed. Don't think counter attacking is even the problem tbh considering you got Walcott, Ozil and Chamberlain, and you guys like to control possession anyway so your game is more focused on build up play towards the oppositions goal.

Why did Gustavo go to Wolsfburg? Did you guys just not go in for him or something? Seems baffling really he went on the cheap and was a player that you needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In our system whoever plays in the DM role will be expected to help out the attack anyway, Song and Flamini both did that and so did Petit and Vieira. Wenger is never going ask the holding midfielder to purely defend, but they will have license to go forwards with Ramsey covering so it's better to have a player like Khedira who can be good in attack or defense in the role. Gustavo is a good player but Wenger probably didnt go for him because he likes to sit deep and defend instead of roaming forwards at times to help out the attack. But either would offer more than Arteta is currently offering in that position, even when Kim Kallstrom played there for that one game against West Ham, he played more forward passes than I've seen from Arteta for most of the season.
Original post by sevchenko
The only way Sanchez is going to Juve is sell they sell Vidal for £45M+, Juve can't afford the fee and the big wages hence why they're buying Iturbe but anything can happen.

Yeah, I agree. I think he will ultimately go to Arsenal but Juve will give it a shot over the next few days.
Anyone else finding it hard to get excited about Sanchez? Why aren't we competing for the most sought after top talent. Instead we always seem to be after the bargain players like cazorla and the cast offs like ozil and Sanchez who just haven't cut the mustard
Here we go again. Please no one take bait
Original post by AR_95
Here we go again. Please no one take bait

What bait? It's a reasonable point
Original post by baconbutty
What bait? It's a reasonable point

Alright. Who else do you think we should be going for right now?
arsenal could sign messi and I still think you would come up with some negative to it..

''Arsenal fan''

Latest