The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Minimum wage. If I own my own business I'd like to pay myself (as well as any employees) the living wage. Anything else is unnecessary and probably comes with more stress and responsibility.
Reply 261
Original post by Reue
Camden

£880.32 - £2640.96

Greenwich

£855.94 - £2567.82

Westminster

£451.16 - £1353.48

To demonstrate just a few. Even if we took the most expensive of my examples, and a single person living alone - It equals £220 per month.

Even on minimum wage (£817 per month) it is far from being a "majority of anything u earn".

I havnt begun to factor in council tax reductions for people on low income and that i've used the most expensive tax banding.

Fair enough, I've learnt something today,thanks
Reply 262
Original post by Crazy92
At least £52,000+

If I get good at my job, at least £150,000+

If I am great at my job, at least £1,000,000+

Hopefully I end up being great at my job haha!

a little too ambitious :wink:
Original post by ubi1
a little too ambitious :wink:

Not at all.
Reply 264
Original post by Crazy92
Not at all.

£1,000,000+ not ambitious?
Career: Investment Banking (close to impossible) Tax consultancy (most likely will choose)/ Chartered Accountant (insurance option xD)

Hoping for a decent salary roughly around 45k :colondollar:
Original post by ubi1
£1,000,000+ not ambitious?

If I was a great trader, £1M+ is not ambitious.

I'm not saying I am a great trader, it takes years of experience.
Original post by Dani California
Going into Archaeology, I'm basically either going to live life as a total pauper or a millionaire.

This made me chuckle. Good luck!
Original post by Nirgilis
Some sort of research chemistry (either academic or industrial) :h: . Will probably start out on about £18k as science graduates are undervalued, but there are plenty of opportunities to rapidly expand into the £28-36k bracket :yep:
me same as you.

I earn 17k now at the moment, hopefully get promoted to 29k before I turn 25.

Live in London so it ain't like I'm going to live a lavish life.
Reply 269
Original post by TheTechN1304
Realistically, I'd start around £40k. Hoping to get 6 figures by 30. Definitely achievable

Start at 40k...OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
Start at 40k...OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

£40k is nothing...
Reply 271
£40k is nothing...

40k starting salary is nothing? What career is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 272
£40k is nothing...

85% of those in employment earn less though.
Reply 273
Realistically, I'd start around £40k. Hoping to get 6 figures by 30. Definitely achievable

You can't get that much on benefits mate...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
You can't get that much on benefits mate...

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's that supposed to mean...
millions
Reply 276
£12,000-£15,000. Not sure on the exact job yet.

Seeing people on here wishing for 60-80k makes me weep for humanity.
Reply 277
Original post by Rinsed
Why? It's human nature to be ambitious, and I'd much rather have ambitious young people than those unmotivated to achieve anything.

There's a big difference between ambition and greed. I'm ambitious but I have no desire to be rich.
There are a lot of people here expecting high salaries, which really isn't realistic...
Reply 279
Original post by Rinsed
There isn't really though is there, they are very closely related concepts? People tend to describe ambition as 'good' and greed as 'bad', but they are otherwise the same.

For example, you say that the ambition to forge a successful, well-paid career is greedy, the implication being that to want a well-paying job is bad. I'm not sure I agree, and I think most people would disagree in fact. Like it or not most people's career aspirations are closely tied to earnings. That is not to say people cannot be motivated by other factors, but they are not necessarily more worthy.

See this is where society is going wrong. I want to forge a career that makes me happy, live a life that I can be satisfied with and sustain myself in the process. I don't care if I'm living off cold chicken sandwiches in the process, money isn't supposed to be a who's got the biggest wang game in my opinion. It's meant to be a tool that we use to ensure we can trade, trade is simply the act of gathering from others what you need to survive in exchange for skills you've developed. Of courses there's some skills that are more valuable than others and some that are less but the key thing we've lost sight of a society - which I believe is evidenced by this thread - is that we are collectively just living til we die and money, material possessions and greed are pointless. I will never care about what I earn beyond that it puts food on my table, that doesn't mean I don't have ambitions in my career trajectory but the pay cheque will never be the important bit, proving to myself and others around me I'm capable of certain things and being happy in the process is much more important. The truth of the matter is you can be successful and paid ****, and the people who are successful and paid **** make the world go round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending