The Student Room Group

Perception of the Irish in Britain.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Yeah have met a fair few people who do, one went off near me as a baby and hurt my Nan (Nail bomb) so when they do I just sorta know that I can't get on with them, both too biased against eachother. :lol:

And definitely get loads of the 'bloody english' directed at english people, all I ever say to it is that I quite frankly don't care what some people I've never met who died before I was born did and it's kinda racist. That usually elicits either an incredibly angry rant at which point I just ignore them, or an easing up and realising it's kinda daft to bring it up :giggle:

Ah damn that sucks :frown: similarly my family were directly affected by the British occupation. Land stolen, stripped publicly, shot at and made to run naked through a field.

That's interesting I didn't know people did that. I agree about that - I don't hold anything against modern English people. But England as an institution colonising countries pisses me off
Original post by Sprockette
I'm from Roscommon and it was fine coming to Scotland. (I wasn't trying to make a link between being from Roscommon and why it wouldn't be ok!). I lived in student halls in Edinburgh. As everyone has said, you will of course get some accent teasing but friendly teasing! The only word I said that my flatmate (English) didn't get was 'press' for cupboard lol I got a blank look a few times when I mentioned "It's in the press" :P

roscommon ara here:P

how are the boggers keeping do yeh know:?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
roscommon ara here:P

how are the boggers keeping do yeh know:?

The boggers are all in Sydney, last time I checked lol :P

Where are you from?
I imagine them all wearing green, and greeting each other with TOP OF THE MORNING TO YA.
Potato famine and terrorism jokes.

that's it
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Gypsy jokes, jokes that you're an idiot and terrorist jokes. Most people are fine though.

I did have one guy who hated me purely because I'm Irish but he'd been affected by an IRA attack (he lived where it happened). No one else has really been that much of an *******

That would certainly explain pale skin

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from Roscommon and it was fine coming to Scotland. (I wasn't trying to make a link between being from Roscommon and why it wouldn't be ok!). I lived in student halls in Edinburgh. As everyone has said, you will of course get some accent teasing but friendly teasing! The only word I said that my flatmate (English) didn't get was 'press' for cupboard lol I got a blank look a few times when I mentioned "It's in the press" :P

that's no different to the great english bread roll name wars though

roll/ cob / bap/ barm / teacake / breadcake / scuffler / muffin / little stottie depending on where you are all referring to the same item

I say 'little stottie' because a proper stottie while obviously not a loaf is bigger than the typical cob / roll / bap
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Yeah have met a fair few people who do, one went off near me as a baby and hurt my Nan (Nail bomb) so when they do I just sorta know that I can't get on with them, both too biased against eachother. :lol:

And definitely get loads of the 'bloody english' directed at english people, all I ever say to it is that I quite frankly don't care what some people I've never met who died before I was born did and it's kinda racist. That usually elicits either an incredibly angry rant at which point I just ignore them, or an easing up and realising it's kinda daft to bring it up :giggle:

Really? In England or Ireland? I would have thought most Irish living in England would get along fairly well with the English although some areas in Ireland are still quite anti-English. I guess some people never grow up

Posted from TSR Mobile
The boggers are all in Sydney, last time I checked lol :P

Where are you from?

haha Id prefer to keep that under tabs..

how bout you...you down under yourself:?

what brings yeh to tsr:?
haha Id prefer to keep that under tabs..

how bout you...you down under yourself:?

what brings yeh to tsr:?

Nah, I've been in Edinburgh since I left Ireland and it's home now. Hope I'll stay here forever!

I joined tsr when I was a student and considering going back... if I can ever afford it or indeed, decide what I want to do. £20k of a loan to study is not looking too appealing right now.
Nah, I've been in Edinburgh since I left Ireland and it's home now. Hope I'll stay here forever!

I joined tsr when I was a student and considering going back... if I can ever afford it or indeed, decide what I want to do. £20k of a loan to study is not looking too appealing right now.

ah...yeh as patriotic as I am...Id prefer to leave this country for at least a few years...

hopefully my Uk degree will allow that easily enough..

hmm im confused isnt it free in scotland:?
ah...yeh as patriotic as I am...Id prefer to leave this country for at least a few years...

hopefully my Uk degree will allow that easily enough..

hmm im confused isnt it free in scotland:?

I have already done 4 years and had that free, but the next will be a MSc or postgrad so that won't be free!
I have already done 4 years and had that free, but the next will be a MSc or postgrad so that won't be free!

Ah what was your first degree?
Original post by bestofyou
Well I assume he isn't from New Ireland in the south Pacific, given that he calls himself Irish and he did say Ireland and not New Ireland (which isn't a country)...so I'll hazard a guess that he means the Ireland in the north Atlantic.

Original post by doom_rever
The Republic :smile: Jaysus yeah gonna have to get used to making the distinction. To us Northern Ireland is just the North and the Nordies just call the Republic the South.

lol @ failed attempt to sound smart by bestofyou.
Expect a few jokes about driveways and potatoes, apart from that you'll be completely fine.
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol @ failed attempt to sound smart by bestofyou.

Hardly pal, catch yourself on. You have no idea what you are even talking about.
Hardly pal, catch yourself on. You have no idea what you are even talking about.

lol @ hurt feelings because it didn't clock in that there are two countries in Ireland.
lol @ hurt feelings because it didn't clock in that there are two countries in Ireland.

lol @ it's assumption that I don't live in NI and that I was referring to the fact that the island is called Ireland regardless of the number of, or the names of the sovereign states which make up the island.

Also LOL @ the fact the OP stated he was Irish meant it was irrelevant which part of the island he came from since he identifies his nationality as Irish, hence making it a moot point knowing which part of Ireland he was from, hence my comment which ignored the fact there are two separate governments on the island.

LOL

LOL
lol @ it's assumption that I don't live in NI and that I was referring to the fact that the island is called Ireland regardless of the number of, or the names of the sovereign states which make up the island.

Also LOL @ the fact the OP stated he was Irish meant it was irrelevant which part of the island he came from since he identifies his nationality as Irish, hence making it a moot point knowing which part of Ireland he was from, hence my comment which ignored the fact there are two separate governments on the island.

LOL

Spoiler

lol @ OP answering which country he was from and you being butthurt. lel
lol @ OP answering which country he was from and you being butthurt. lel

what are you even ganching about now? You have no idea, what you just said makes no sense at all, go away please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending