The Student Room Group

Anyone else have bad eyesight?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I know a girl who has one short sighted eye and want long sighted:eek:.
cannot imagine being to see things far away clearly but not close up. Wow theres a big difference between the vision in both of your eyes.
Reply 101
I see - did you ever wear eye patches or something to correct try and correct that?
Must be really weird having eyes with different vision - when you shut one eye your vision gets considerably better or worse
I have terrible eyesight, my prescriptions for each eye average out at about -12.25! I've worn glasses since I was 3 - my short-sightedness was picked up at a routine check-up. It's the worst out of anyone I know (apart from a friend who is blind in one eye) and I love seeing the shocked look on people's faces when they try my glasses on :tongue: It's annoying because everything that's more than a few cm away from my eyes is blurry without my glasses on, but I've needed glasses for so long that I feel naked without them on and rarely wear my contact lenses (they irritate my eyes too). Even though it'd be great to have perfect vision I'm not sure I'd ever have laser eye surgery for that reason.
Original post by whydoieventry
Got mine in year 7, but due to the perceived shame of it I didn't wear them properly till year 9. I'm -3.5 in both eyes, gradually getting worse. Not sure if I want laser eye surgery though...

You need to have had a consistent prescription for three years (as far as I know) before you'll be considered eligible for laser eye surgery.

Mine are around -6.25ish. Maybe -6.5. I wear a combo of contacts and glasses (not simultaneously, haha).
Original post by BlueSheep32
I love seeing the shocked look on people's faces when they try my glasses on :tongue:

I once allowed a friend to try my glasses on. His reply was "holy ****!" I did let my dad try mine on. My current pair have prisms in them, which he says feel a bit funny.
Reply 105
Original post by OU Student
I once allowed a friend to try my glasses on. His reply was "holy ****!" I did let my dad try mine on. My current pair have prisms in them, which he says feel a bit funny.

Haha my friends have the same response. Apparentely high prescription glasses also make your eyes look smaller as well:s-smilie:
Original post by qewrtyu
Haha my friends have the same response. Apparentely high prescription glasses also make your eyes look smaller as well:s-smilie:
My friends are like that too. "Wow you are blind, here take them back... ouch!"
Reply 107
I have terrible eyesight, my prescriptions for each eye average out at about -12.25! I've worn glasses since I was 3 - my short-sightedness was picked up at a routine check-up. It's the worst out of anyone I know (apart from a friend who is blind in one eye) and I love seeing the shocked look on people's faces when they try my glasses on :tongue: It's annoying because everything that's more than a few cm away from my eyes is blurry without my glasses on, but I've needed glasses for so long that I feel naked without them on and rarely wear my contact lenses (they irritate my eyes too). Even though it'd be great to have perfect vision I'm not sure I'd ever have laser eye surgery for that reason.

:eek:Hoping I won't reach double figures any time soon:s-smilie:. Its strange cos I cant even imagine my eyesight being any worse than it is now.
Yeah I know what you mean, its really weird seeing my face without glasses.
Original post by OU Student

My friends generally have a similar response! Best one was my boyfriend's housemate, who wears glasses for reading himself; he tried mine on and then asked me if I actually need to wear glasses all of the time - no, I'm just wearing them as a fashion statement :rolleyes:

Original post by qewrtyu
:eek:Hoping I won't reach double figures any time soon:s-smilie:. Its strange cos I cant even imagine my eyesight being any worse than it is now.
Yeah I know what you mean, its really weird seeing my face without glasses.

I've been in double figures since I was about 10/11, mine seems to keep getting worse :frown: although last time I had an eye test a year ago I went to an independent optician who spent ages with me and worked out that Specsavers had actually overprescribed me in the past and my glasses might be giving me slight eye strain. Apparently because chain opticians only get about 20 minutes with you, that happens quite often because when your eyesight's that bad anything that improves it by a lot is good.

My boyfriend likes it when I'm not wearing mine because he can see my eyes properly (he says they were the first thing he noticed about me), but I just find my face without glasses really odd & think I look better with them, probably because I'm not used to seeing myself without them!
Reply 109
My friends generally have a similar response! Best one was my boyfriend's housemate, who wears glasses for reading himself; he tried mine on and then asked me if I actually need to wear glasses all of the time - no, I'm just wearing them as a fashion statement :rolleyes:

I've been in double figures since I was about 10/11, mine seems to keep getting worse :frown: although last time I had an eye test a year ago I went to an independent optician who spent ages with me and worked out that Specsavers had actually overprescribed me in the past and my glasses might be giving me slight eye strain. Apparently because chain opticians only get about 20 minutes with you, that happens quite often because when your eyesight's that bad anything that improves it by a lot is good.

My boyfriend likes it when I'm not wearing mine because he can see my eyes properly (he says they were the first thing he noticed about me), but I just find my face without glasses really odd & think I look better with them, probably because I'm not used to seeing myself without them!

I will never understand why people wear fake glasses :confused:
Actually one of my eyes seems to have gotten slightly better than last year and the other has got slightly worse. Not sure if the optician has done my prescription wrong or not.:s-smilie:
Aw thats sweet. Maybe if you wore contact lenses rather than glasses more often then you would get used to yourself without them. Do you use daily contact lenses?
Original post by qewrtyu
I will never understand why people wear fake glasses :confused:
Actually one of my eyes seems to have gotten slightly better than last year and the other has got slightly worse. Not sure if the optician has done my prescription wrong or not.:s-smilie:
Aw thats sweet. Maybe if you wore contact lenses rather than glasses more often then you would get used to yourself without them. Do you use daily contact lenses?

Neither do I! Much as I feel like glasses have become an important part of my appearance (I used to pick thin wire frames because they were more subtle but I realised a few years ago that big colourful ones actually suit me a lot better) I will never get why people think it's 'cool' to wear them and choose to wear them. For one, I used to get teased for wearing them when I was little, and I wish I was able to think "hmm, I think I might wear glasses today, might look nice!"

It's possible they have, but you probably won't know unless you go somewhere where they can give you a more thorough eye test unfortunately :s-smilie:

Maybe, another big part of the reason why I don't wear mine often is because I haven't had new ones in 3 years so they're the wrong prescription and have been for a while now :tongue: yeah, I have dailies - figured I wouldn't wear them often enough to justify getting monthlies (and I was right, I have loads of dailies leftover from when I first got contacts). What type do you wear?
Reply 111
Neither do I! Much as I feel like glasses have become an important part of my appearance (I used to pick thin wire frames because they were more subtle but I realised a few years ago that big colourful ones actually suit me a lot better) I will never get why people think it's 'cool' to wear them and choose to wear them. For one, I used to get teased for wearing them when I was little, and I wish I was able to think "hmm, I think I might wear glasses today, might look nice!"

It's possible they have, but you probably won't know unless you go somewhere where they can give you a more thorough eye test unfortunately :s-smilie:

Maybe, another big part of the reason why I don't wear mine often is because I haven't had new ones in 3 years so they're the wrong prescription and have been for a while now :tongue: yeah, I have dailies - figured I wouldn't wear them often enough to justify getting monthlies (and I was right, I have loads of dailies leftover from when I first got contacts). What type do you wear?

Ah my little sister is one of those annoying people who wants to get fake glasses. I told her to wait till her eyesight is bad enough to wear real ones:tongue:.
My last few pairs of glasses have all had plastic frames as they hide the thick lens better :s-smilie:
Don't think I can get another eyetest for free.
My new glasses are arriving next week :biggrin:. For once I actually chose a pair with a big frame rather than those small rectangle ones. Maybe you should get some new ones as well. Time for some change!
I also wear dailies but dont really use them that often - takes me too long to put them in and glasses are good for hiding bags under your eyes :biggrin:
Reply 112
Original post by qewrtyu
Urgh I know only one person who has worse eyesight than me. Got a prescription of -7 :'(

I need glasses badly I predict my prescription is -3 and 20/50 to 20/70 vision:frown:
Original post by ubi1
I need glasses badly I predict my prescription is -3 and 20/50 to 20/70 vision:frown:

20/70 uncorrected is usually around -1 - -1.5, if you are -3 and have 20/70 uncorrected you are very lucky!
Reply 114
Original post by Kathy89
20/70 uncorrected is usually around -1 - -1.5, if you are -3 and have 20/70 uncorrected you are very lucky!

Il let you know when I go for an eye test, need contacts for driving:frown:
Original post by ubi1

So that's. what, 6/20 ish? (We use meters in the UK, not feet). That's similar to what I have and my prescription is about -2 (it's a cyl, so a tad more complex, but basically -1.5 to -2). It's really not that bad.
Reply 116
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
So that's. what, 6/20 ish? (We use meters in the UK, not feet). That's similar to what I have and my prescription is about -2 (it's a cyl, so a tad more complex, but basically -1.5 to -2). It's really not that bad.

What people see normally at 20 feet I probably see at 50 to 70:frown:
Original post by ubi1
What people see normally at 20 feet I probably see at 50 to 70:frown:

Yes. That's what I'm saying. 20/70 is the same as 6/20ish. I see between 6/18 and 8/24, or 20/60 and 20/80ish. My prescription is -1.5/-0.5x180. So, for you (assuming you don't know what cylinders are in lenses), it's about -2.
Reply 118
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Yes. That's what I'm saying. 20/70 is the same as 6/20ish. I see between 6/18 and 8/24, or 20/60 and 20/80ish. My prescription is -1.5/-0.5x180. So, for you (assuming you don't know what cylinders are in lenses), it's about -2.

Right is that really bad?:redface:
Original post by ubi1
Right is that really bad?:redface:

No. That's a fairly normal prescription. Prescriptions can go up and beyond -30.

Quick Reply

Latest