The Student Room Group

Why do people hate immigrants?

Scroll to see replies

May as well lets tens of millions of immigrants into Britain then.

It would be hateful and racist not to.
Original post by Minju
But there is nothing wrong with saying the truth....

Wow, I was actually going to say I'm sorry for your experiences but after that little revelation I suddenly feel less sympathy.

Did it ever cross your mind that attitudes like yours causes anti-immigrant feelings to an extent. You are coming into somebody else's homeland and being extremely critical, narrow- minded and rude about their country and culture.

How would you feel if someone waltzed into your house and did the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akash11
Yes the country as a whole may benefit from immigration, but their are sections of society who lose out especially the unskilled people that immigrants compete with. So from their point of you dislike of immigrants is understandable. But I do agree with you that their is a overblown irrational, hatred of immigrants.

Look there are two problems I have with the immigrantion debate

1) It makes racism respectable.

It dehumanizes not just the thousands of people in the UK who are without papers, but the millions whom many assume to be undocumented, even though most are UK citizens.

2) It frames the debate on immigration:

It pins the blame on immigrants, not those who employ them and often take advantage of them, whom no one ever seems to call “illegal employers”. Nor does it blame the UK government’s immigration policy, which is at least thousands of cases behind in meeting the country’s labour needs.

It makes it seem like the answer is to punish immigrants even though some are undocumented through no fault of their own.

It makes police raids on Muslim neighbourhoods seem reasonable as well as racial profiling.

They should crack down on the people who continue to employ the undocumented workers. If there is no demand there will be no supply.

They are always talking about putting up more fences and electric fences. That is expensive and guess who will foot the bill on that ? Yep tax payers. The cheaper alternative will be to go after the companies who hire them and the places that house them.

And yes most of immigrants are white. Poles are white. Australians are white (Even though the country is black in Origin) Serbs are white.

Therefore they are accepted as part of the grand schema of European civilization; viewed as intelligent, hard-working and successful, unlike black african immigrants who are still typified as lazy, unintelligent, prone to crime.

Getting white brits to acknowledge the humanity of a group of white people however much this group may differ from most of them in terms of religion and certain cultural traditions is a FAR CRY from convincing them of the equal value of non-white immigrants, who don’t look like them, who might not speak the same language, and who are routinely viewed as taking white jobs and soaking up welfare.
Original post by miscounted_time
Wow, I was actually going to say I'm sorry for your experiences but after that little revelation I suddenly feel less sympathy.

Did it ever cross your mind that attitudes like yours causes anti-immigrant feelings to an extent. You are coming into somebody else's homeland and being extremely critical, narrow- minded and rude about their country and culture.

How would you feel if someone waltzed into your house and did the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couple of questions

What do you mean by homeland ?

And what does it take for a person to be a member of the homeland you talk about ?
Original post by Minju
If we take out the Pakistani and Bangladeshi out of this as they have many issues within their community and just look at Indian, Chinese, Sri lankan communities. I guess the daily mail was right.

Indian, Chinese families where many of them work long hours in demanding professionals tend to care more about their elderly parents and less likely to place them in old people homes. There is less divorce, less run away fathers, single mums and less children born outside wedlock.

Now you can see Indian CEOs in many global brands, Indian companies are running brands like Jaugar-Landrover and Yardly, India has a prominent share in IT industry, India's doctors and nurses are working all over the world. ..

Doctors, property owners/developers, politicians , shopkeepers, business leaders, every single field of wealth and importance is being overrun everyday by south and East Asians.

We have money (Indian Hindus and Sikhs have the highest income per capita among all races in the UK)

Yes Indian and Chinese are hard working communities, but, they are still more likely to be unemployed than white people in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/08/minority-ethnic-workers-more-often-unemployed

British people fought for hundreds of years for fair pay and decent working conditions, and the corporations are trying to undo those gains by outsourcing jobs and importing over immigrants who are prepared to work for peanuts.

You have to understand this is what mass immigration is about. It's about exploiting cheap labour. And I am afraid your attitude plays right into the hands of the transnational corporations who want cheap labour and low wages.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
I don't know about anyone else but if your are of Pakistani ethnicity it would be a good idea to take up dual Pakistani citizenship, there is no doubt that there will come a time within our life time that we will need it.
Original post by jaang
I don't know about anyone else but if your are of Pakistani ethnicity it would be a good idea to take up dual Pakistani citizenship, there is no doubt that there will come a time within our life time that we will need it.

Why?
Reply 67
Original post by jaang

Why?
Reply 68
Original post by Minju
Why?

The way things are going we wont be lets say 'allowed' to live freely here for much longer, heed the warnings of history
Reply 69
Original post by DiddyDec
Why?

See reply to minju
Reply 70
Original post by jaang
The way things are going we wont be lets say 'allowed' to live freely here for much longer, heed the warnings of history

Hum for some reason I'm Indian and I have the exact same feeling as you.
Original post by jaang

Like the Jews and the Irish that came before you? The UK is the most open country in the World and we pride ourselves upon it. Sure there are some people who don't like it and there will always be those that oppose. This country will remain free as long as there are still people who care.

But with an attitude like yours with an "us and them" mentality it wont help you in the long run. Integrate with the population and then it will become a society of "Us".
Reply 72
Original post by Minju
Hum for some reason I'm Indian and I have the exact same feeling as you.

Only because you would probably get mistaken for a Pakistani. The funny thing is I have never actually been to Pakistan but its always good to have a safe option if you know what I mean. Got an appointment at the embassy for August so everything should be sorted.

What are India's laws on dual citizenship?
Reply 73
Original post by jaang
Only because you would probably get mistaken for a Pakistani. The funny thing is I have never actually been to Pakistan but its always good to have a safe option if you know what I mean. Got an appointment at the embassy for August so everything should be sorted.

What are India's laws on dual citizenship?

India does not allow dual nationality,but there are some techniques you can use to get away with it.

I'm planning to move to Canada.
Reply 74
Like the Jews and the Irish that came before you? The UK is the most open country in the World and we pride ourselves upon it. Sure there are some people who don't like it and there will always be those that oppose. This country will remain free as long as there are still people who care.

But with an attitude like yours with an "us and them" mentality it wont help you in the long run. Integrate with the population and then it will become a society of "Us".

Is that why so many Jews left this country for Israel post WW2? Tbh I suppose only a Jew of WW2 era would ever truly understand where I am coming from, its quite difficult to explain
Original post by jaang
Is that why so many Jews left this country for Israel post WW2? Tbh I suppose only a Jew of WW2 era would ever truly understand where I am coming from, its quite difficult to explain

Try explaining it.
Reply 76
Original post by Minju
India does not allow dual nationality,but there are some techniques you can use to get away with it.

I'm planning to move to Canada.

Thats bad I suppose, im sure there's a dodgy way around it lol
Reply 77
Try explaining it.

The general mood just does not feel right these days, it just feels that this is a point in time which history will judge as a 'that's where it started' moment
Reply 78
Original post by jaang
The general mood just does not feel right these days, it just feels that this is a point in time which history will judge as a 'that's where it started' moment

Same here,I don't think my family is safe in this country.
Reply 79
Original post by Minju
Same here,I don't think my family is safe in this country.

Family wants me to buy a house etc but I'm resisting without exactly telling them I don't plan to stay here long ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending