The Student Room Group

Do I have a shot with these gcse grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Origami Bullets
If you meet the stated entry requirements then it's definitely worth you applying.

Do, however, be aware that your IT BTEC won't be regarded as equivalent to GCSEs by many of the unis you speak to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never done a btec its definitely a gcse but for some reason it's worth 4?? I got a distinction for it (A*)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96
I'll have completed my a levels in 3 years rather than 2 because I'm re-sitting year 12 in a different sixth form so could I potentially lie about the stuff I've done eg economics club or being house captain? like there's no way they could know I was lying as I've done it on my old sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any ideas on what else I could add?? I can make so much up saying I did it in my old sixth form but I'm trying to stay close to the truth like I did a couple of things but adding some doesn't hurt, any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any ideas on what else I could add?? I can make so much up saying I did it in my old sixth form but I'm trying to stay close to the truth like I did a couple of things but adding some doesn't hurt, any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice:

Borrow some economic books/ or if you're lazy search a list of titles on amazon. Read some amazon user reviews.
In PS, say what the author's main argument is and what you learned from the text (two/three sentences max).

Try to include about 4/5 books.
University admin tutors love it when you go on about books. Hobbies and interests aren't important in a PS, so don't mention. They basically want an applicant that shows in their PS that they live and breathe the subject... So give the illusion that your an economics geek.

Another great thing to do is say you went to a lecture/s (you don't need to have gone). Research any lectures being held near you on the web. Say what you learned from going...

Mention that you read The Economist/similar economics magazine. You can glance at their website or buy a copy.
What info did you learn from the articles?

Also, you could name drop. Only do this if you have actually met the person or a friend/relative has. A relative of mine sang at a choir as a hobby and met a guy who had written this economic book. So, I basically borrowed their experience and said something like....
'I was fortunate enough to meet Mr X through my choir and we talked about his book etc...'
I went on amazon to find a summary of the his book and wrote what I learned from it.

Start PS with a snappy first sentence about why you got interested in wanting to study economics in the first place.

End PS with a good quote related to economics if you can.

What skills you have learned from your A level studies that you can transfer to uni study.

This is a rough template of what I included in my PS and I got offered a place at UCL for history (not for Economics but I applied for Economic History at LSE). My GCSEs were Bs so if you have a fantastic PS and the predicted grades you should get an offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocfudge
My advice:

Borrow some economic books/ or if you're lazy search a list of titles on amazon. Read some amazon user reviews.
In PS, say what the author's main argument is and what you learned from the text (two/three sentences max).

Try to include about 4/5 books.
University admin tutors love it when you go on about books. Hobbies and interests aren't important in a PS, so don't mention. They basically want an applicant that shows in their PS that they live and breathe the subject... So give the illusion that your an economics geek.

Another great thing to do is say you went to a lecture/s (you don't need to have gone). Research any lectures being held near you on the web. Say what you learned from going...

Mention that you read The Economist/similar economics magazine. You can glance at their website or buy a copy.
What info did you learn from the articles?

Also, you could name drop. Only do this if you have actually met the person or a friend/relative has. A relative of mine sang at a choir as a hobby and met a guy who had written this economic book. So, I basically borrowed their experience and said something like....
'I was fortunate enough to meet Mr X through my choir and we talked about his book etc...'
I went on amazon to find a summary of the his book and wrote what I learned from it.

Start PS with a snappy first sentence about why you got interested in wanting to study economics in the first place.

End PS with a good quote related to economics if you can.

What skills you have learned from your A level studies that you can transfer to uni study.

This is a rough template of what I included in my PS and I got offered a place at UCL for history (not for Economics but I applied for Economic History at LSE). My GCSEs were Bs so if you have a fantastic PS and the predicted grades you should get an offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG THANKU SO MUCH :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never done a btec its definitely a gcse but for some reason it's worth 4?? I got a distinction for it (A*)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid it is a BTEC from what you've said :sadnod: Level 2 BTECs are often referred to as being equivalent to 4 GCSEs for league table purposes (though unis can tend to see things differently), and they're graded in terms of distinction / merit / pass instead of letter grades, but they're not the same as GCSEs.

The best way to be sure, however, is to go back and check your certificates :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm afraid it is a BTEC from what you've said :sadnod: Level 2 BTECs are often referred to as being equivalent to 4 GCSEs for league table purposes (though unis can tend to see things differently), and they're graded in terms of distinction / merit / pass instead of letter grades, but they're not the same as GCSEs.

The best way to be sure, however, is to go back and check your certificates :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just checked and it says ocr national level 2? I don't think it's gcse but maybe something else? I went to a grammar school so can't be btec, maybe I get ucas points for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just checked and it says ocr national level 2? I don't think it's gcse but maybe something else? I went to a grammar school so can't be btec, maybe I get ucas points for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

An OCR national is a different (and rarer) beast altogether - it's neither GCSE nor BTEC, though as it is vocational it appears to have more in common with a BTEC than anything else http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCR_Nationals#OCR_National_ICT_Level_2

Going to a grammar school doesn't mean anything in terms of the qualifications you take. Indeed, I went to am academically selective school I ended up with an OCR Level 2 certificate because I did Young Enterprise.

You still (need to) put it on your UCAS form and unis will take it into consideration, but it won't attract UCAS points - nothing at level 2 (GCSE equivalent) does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that qualification aswell, its similar to a BTEC, it's supposed to be equivalent to 4 GCSE's but universities will only count it as 1 GCSE, the university will normally count the distinction grade as a grade A :smile: I'll be honest with you, it is a pretty worthless qualification!
Original post by 06shawm
I did that qualification aswell, its similar to a BTEC, it's supposed to be equivalent to 4 GCSE's but universities will only count it as 1 GCSE, the university will normally count the distinction grade as a grade A :smile: I'll be honest with you, it is a pretty worthless qualification!

Oh no I thought that would count as 4 A*s haha, oh well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
An OCR national is a different (and rarer) beast altogether - it's neither GCSE nor BTEC, though as it is vocational it appears to have more in common with a BTEC than anything else http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCR_Nationals#OCR_National_ICT_Level_2

Going to a grammar school doesn't mean anything in terms of the qualifications you take. Indeed, I went to am academically selective school I ended up with an OCR Level 2 certificate because I did Young Enterprise.

You still (need to) put it on your UCAS form and unis will take it into consideration, but it won't attract UCAS points - nothing at level 2 (GCSE equivalent) does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thanks and is young enterprise where you sell stuff at school?? Like a few friends sold stationary and apparently it was young enterprise? Do you get a certificate for that or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no I thought that would count as 4 A*s haha, oh well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha unfortunately not :redface: I feel I spent more time doing that qualification compared to some of my actual GCSE's, waste of my time!
I also have an economics AS at E :frown: will that hinder my chances? Or would that be an advantage? I'm doing my a levels in 3 years so

Posted from TSR Mobile
depends what you're having, id prefer a pint though.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
depends what you're having, id prefer a pint though.

Hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending