The Student Room Group

Survey finds children raised by same-sex couples to be healthier and happier

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr...
Also (to my knowledge) homosexual adoption if relatively new so it isn't possible to complete this investigation on children or teens.

There are studies carried out over longer periods of time, that show similar results - for example, this study was conducted over a period of 25 years.

Original post by billydisco
Are you an idiot? If not, why do you say such an idiotic thing?

You seemed to be using the possibility of bullying as an argument against same sex parenting. What is that, if not blaming the family over the bully?
There is no like for like comparison between straight parents and same sex parents. Same sex parents must very deliberately have children, there is no accidental pregnancy etc. there, in addition to this most of the avenues that same sex parents must go down to get children mean they go through checks that most straight parents wouldn't have to (unless they were going down the avenue of adoption).

With this in mind it ought to be absolutely no surprise whatsoever that the survey found this to be true.

My own personal opinion: Overall I wouldn't say I have an issue with same-sex parenting, for the reasons stated above (in addition to the evidence from this article) it seems clear that same sex parents do a good job of raising children on the whole, and so long as there are children in need of loving homes that should continue. If you were to ask me about what I thought the ideal situation for raising children was I would honestly have to say that it should be with a Mother and a Father who love the child and want the best for it, but we don't live in an ideal world where this model of parenting is available to each and every child...

Now, before I'm labelled a homophobe for that last comment my views on this issue are purely pragmatic. There IS of course going to be a difference in the way a child is brought up depending upon the sex of their parents. This isn't to say that same-sex parents can't raise children well, there is plenty of evidence that shows they can and do. It's just that I do think that all else being equal children would do better being raised by a mother and a father than by a same sex couple.

See. As far as I can see, we cannot treat parenting as a rights issue. As far as I'm concerned NOBODY has the right to a child... it is the child that has the right to the best upbringing as can be provided (we have to be pragmatic). As far as I can see that is where you should address the issue from, and if we do address it there we find that on balance it most certainly is a good thing for children to be brought up by same-sex parents.
Where are the statistics? Tables, charts, methods and limitations of this so called study?

Selection bias, 100%.

Adopters generally tend to be more caring, and I would bet alot of money that the average income of gay adopters is significantly above average.

Normal parents>>>Gay parents>no parents
Reply 24

not really. its just showing men are better parents than women. if you have two men instead of 1 man and 1 women the childs cool.
Oh that's it then let's get rid of male and female couples everyone child must be raised by gays.No doubt this was some liberal study where they had a pool of about 10 people to base their findings on.
Original post by fojodef
not really. its just showing men are better parents than women. if you have two men instead of 1 man and 1 women the childs cool.

There studies with similar results where two women have raised a child :fyi:
Reply 27
Original post by shadowdweller
There studies with similar results where two women have raised a child :fyi:

similar but who wins?
Original post by fojodef
similar but who wins?

I'm not sure there's been a study on that specifically? It's not so much about who wins as it is how the child fares...
God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
I'm not against same sex couples having children, but I think you should all need this story.

1404407482924.jpg

This is why I'm scared of gay male couples adopting.
Original post by daniyaali
God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so cheesy. :puke:
Reply 32
I'm not sure there's been a study on that specifically? It's not so much about who wins as it is how the child fares...

well by winning. what i mean is who does the child fare better with.
lesbians or gays?

i just imagined gays were better. cause ive noticed gays can integrate with straight women really well. but lesbians tend to just stick with women.
which makes me think gay men are able to look after both girls and boys.
where lesbians can only look after girls.
Original post by Marky Mark
This is why I'm scared of gay male couples adopting.

Because of course, you wouldn't find cases like that with straight couples at all? Oh wait...
Because of course, you wouldn't find cases like that with straight couples at all? Oh wait...

Knew someone would say this. But it's how I feel.
Original post by fojodef
well by winning. what i mean is who does the child fare better with.
lesbians or gays?

i just imagined gays were better. cause ive noticed gays can integrate with straight women really well. but lesbians tend to just stick with women.
which makes me think gay men are able to look after both girls and boys.
where lesbians can only look after girls.

Interesting question actually, not seen anything on that specifically - I should imagine you could compare the results of studies though, if nothing else?

The latter is rather anecdotal though - it would come down to the individual, really.

Original post by Marky Mark
Knew someone would say this. But it's how I feel.

By what rationale though?
Original post by Zürich
Selection bias, 100%.

Adopters generally tend to be more caring, and I would bet alot of money that the average income of gay adopters is significantly above average.

Normal parents>>>Gay parents>no parents

But all gay parents adopted their kids.
Original post by manchesterunited15
But all gay parents adopted their kids.

Agree, and?
Original post by Zürich
Agree, and?

Well you said it's selection bias and gave reasons why adoptive parents are better than normal parents, but then said that normal parents are better than gay ones, even though those gay ones are also adoptive.

If you said 'straight adoptive parents > gay adoptive parents' that would have made sense.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Well you said it's selection bias and gave reasons why adoptive parents are better than normal parents, but then said that normal parents are better than gay ones, even though those gay ones are also adoptive.

If you said 'straight adoptive parents > gay adoptive parents' that would have made sense.

it's implied

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending