The Student Room Group

Should Abortion be made illegal?

I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
Original post by samba
No.

Reasons?
No. Not all children are adopted anyway, so I am not sure increasing the number of babies is really going to remedy the situation.

The issue is that women will have abortions anyway. They will either to do it abroad or find someone willing to do the procedure illegally. Either way, it is not an ideal situation to have.

I am not really sure what the problem is with your last point. If a woman does not wish to look after a potential baby then I am not sure what is objectionable about aborting that fetus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DorianGrayism
No. Not all children are adopted anyway, so I am not sure increasing the number of babies is really going to remedy the situation.

The issue is that women will have abortions anyway. They will either to do it abroad or find someone willing to do the procedure illegally. Either way, it is not an ideal situation to have.

I am not really sure what the problem is with your last point. If a woman does not wish to look after a potential baby then I am not sure what is objectionable about aborting that fetus.

The reason i object is that i find this immoral to abort a fetus. I see it the same as killing a person. That fetus had all right to be born and see the world as you and me are seeing it today
Morally speaking, yes. Practically, I can see why it can be an issue .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course not, a woman should be able to decide whether she is prepared to bring the child to term. Religious dogma should have no place in stifling that decision.
Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Of course not, a woman should be able to decide whether she is prepared to bring the child to term. Religious dogma should have no place in stifling that decision.

No where in this thread has religion been mentioned. Its just my moral values and I think aborting is immoral.
Original post by Rosie786
No where in this thread has religion been mentioned. Its just my moral values and I think aborting is immoral.

I know it hasn't, but that's why abortion was illegal for so long, was it not?
Reply 9
I know it hasn't, but that's why abortion was illegal for so long, was it not?

But i think its immoral regardless of religion. What if religion didn't exist then would it not still be immoral to kill an unborn child?
The reason i object is that i find this immoral to abort a fetus. I see it the same as killing a person. That fetus had all right to be born and see the world as you and me are seeing it today

Then don't abort your own child.

Mind your business, what other women choose to do with their body is of no concern to you or the law.
Reply 11
Original post by brownbearxo
Then don't abort your own child.

Mind your business, what other women choose to do with their body is of no concern to you or the law.

No need for personal attacks.
But i think its immoral regardless of religion. What if religion didn't exist then would it not still be immoral to kill an unborn child?

Is it not also immoral to force someone to give birth to a child they don't want? Are we to revert to the middle ages where most women had no control over their own bodies?
Reply 13
Is it not also immoral to force someone to give birth to a child they don't want? Are we to revert to the middle ages where most women had no control over their own bodies?

Shouldn't protection be used then?
No need for personal attacks.

It wasn't anything of the sort. You asked for my thoughts and I gave you them. Your reasons aren't even new or innovative, just the same old nosy mindset.
Shouldn't protection be used then?

Of course, but contraception is not 100% effective. Also, contraception isn't the issue for women who are raped and become pregnant.
No.

1. Body autonomy.

2. I think it's more immoral to bring an unwanted child into this world when there are so many kids who need homes already than it is to rid your body of what is essentially a parasite.
Reply 17
Original post by brownbearxo
It wasn't anything of the sort. You asked for my thoughts and I gave you them. Your reasons aren't even new or innovative, just the same old nosy mindset.

I asked for thoughts not for personal attacks which it was exactly. If you can give valid reasons. Fine but no need to be so rude. Thank you.
Reply 18
Of course, but contraception is not 100% effective. Also, contraception isn't the issue for women who are raped and become pregnant.

Yes that's why i said there have been a lot of rape cases and i said let's put that aside.

Also you said its the women's body and they should have right over their own body. But also once they get pregnant. There's another life inside them as well. Don't they have the right over their body as well?

P.S. thanks for conducting the debate in a good manner

P.S. thanks for conducting the debate in a good manner

No problem :smile:

Yes that's why i said there have been a lot of rape cases and i said let's put that aside.

Also you said its the women's body and they should have right over their own body. But also once they get pregnant. There's another life inside them as well. Don't they have the right over their body as well?

I'm not sure that argument can be used as I think the deadline for an abortion is set before the foetus is fully developed or really classified as a human being per se.

I agree that it is a very tricky topic, but ultimately I believe the decision rests with the woman and her husband or partner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending