The Student Room Group

Are you a fan of Andy Murray?

Poll

Are you a fan of Andy Murray?

Andy's out, and I'd just like to put it out there, I've never been a fan of him. Grumpy, moody and dull.

I would've much preferred it had Tim Henman, an Englishman and a proud Brit, become the first 21st century British Wimbledon champion.

Are you a fan? Honestly?... Why?! I have opened a poll.

On a side note, should Murray have done a Djokovic and missed Queens to rest for Wimbledon. Bjorn Borg was famous for doing it. I'm tipping Novak to win, even if I'm not the biggest fan of his endurance, stay-on-the-baseline style.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, because of bad attitude and boring style of play. Also he is quite overrated. The way the British pundits, commentators and media hype him is as if he is in the same league of all time greats like Federer, Sampras, Laver, Nadal and Borg when the reality is that he doesn't hold a candle to those guys achievements and never will.

However, I was genuinely happy for him when he won his first slam back at 2012 US Open after losing his first 4 slam finals. It was a great moment in tennis history.
Original post by Roger1
The way the British pundits, commentators and media hype him is as if he is in the same league of all time greats like Federer, Sampras, Laver, Nadal and Borg when the reality is that he doesn't hold a candle to those guys achievements and never will. .

Except they don't because it is a patently absurd comparison.
Reply 3
Original post by DorianGrayism
Except they don't because it is a patently absurd comparison.

Maybe they don't, but it always feel that way to me. Perhaps I'm wrong as always.
Reply 4
It's a real shame that Britain only have 1 quality player in Andy Murray. Murray is boring to watch. I quite like Dan Evans' style of play but he is not even in the top 100. :frown:
Original post by Roger1
Maybe they don't, but it always feel that way to me. Perhaps I'm wrong as always.

Well,they cannot make you feel it because it is not a feeling.

They I either say it or they don't. They clearly do not because it is an absurd comparison.

I understand that your Anti-British/ racist tendencies cause you to make things up.
His personality is crap, isnt very likeable, but hes the best thing Great Britain has to offer.

He's probably not recognised much outside of the UK to be honest.

Novak, Rafa and Roger are all better tennis players and by far more consistent. Roger and Novak also have great professional personalities.
Reply 7
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well,they cannot make you feel it because it is not a feeling.

They I either say it or they don't. They clearly do not because it is an absurd comparison.

I understand that your Anti-British/ racist tendencies cause you to make things up.

:yy:
Reply 8
Original post by Roger1
It's a real shame that Britain only have 1 quality player in Andy Murray. Murray is boring to watch. I quite like Dan Evans' style of play but he is not even in the top 100. :frown:

Most countries only have one quality player don't they?
Original post by KingKumar
Most countries only have one quality player don't they?

Switzerland, France, USA, Spain and some others have more, but only having 1 is nothing to be ashamed about.
Its a real pity that when we do have a player who is good enough to win something sport based from the UK, he is such an unlikeable ********. Also, I think tennis, if people could choose one sport for the UK to win, I think tennis would be near the bottom
Original post by Huskaris
Its a real pity that when we do have a player who is good enough to win something sport based from the UK, he is such an unlikeable ********. Also, I think tennis, if people could choose one sport for the UK to win, I think tennis would be near the bottom

Serious? Two grand slam titles since 1936. Before Murray won Wimbledon, the public were crying out for a success story. Especially with the 'oh so nearly' Henman, who was unfortunately used by many Brits as a vehicle for their own subtle yet narcissistic patrotism. Polite, plucky Brit, bowing out serenely at the final hurdle. Stiff upper lip etc. Before Murray won the media solipsism was vomit inducing.
Original post by rockrunride
Serious? Two grand slam titles since 1936. Before Murray won Wimbledon, the public were crying out for a success story. Especially with the 'oh so nearly' Henman, who was unfortunately used by many Brits as a vehicle for their own subtle yet narcissistic patrotism. Polite, plucky Brit, bowing out serenely at the final hurdle. Stiff upper lip etc. Before Murray won the media solipsism was vomit inducing.

Yeah but... No one really cares, it isn't as big as say, an ashes win etc.
Original post by Huskaris
Yeah but... No one really cares, it isn't as big as say, an ashes win etc.

17.5m people watched Murray win Wimbledon, way more than the 2m that watched England win the Ashes. Pretty much the only thing that get more viewing figures is the football.

I'm not a big Murray fan. I don't really like his style of tennis, and I find his on or off court demeanour very appealing tbh.
He's dull and boring. The only reason anyone cares about him is because there are no other options. I prefer Federer. Now there's a man with class.
if only we had a beautiful blonde lady tennis lady we could all get behind....
Reply 16
I like Murray, but his winning of Wimbledon may yet come to undermine the rest of his career. It's the albatross around his neck now, anything less will be considered a failure. He's had a difficult year but he can easily win more Slams in the future. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are all better than him right now but I don't necessarily think any of them are better tennis players.
He's a talented player, much better than 'plucky' Heman but his behaviour on court doesn't help him. It seems he had a meltdown during his loss to Dimitrov, raving at his team, swearing and tbh, he doesn't help himself. If I was his opponent and saw him like that, I'd be chuffed. His inability to control his emotions probably sees him lose more points. Still a fan of his tennis I'd say and he's got a lovely girlfriend.
Original post by the bear
if only we had a beautiful blonde tennis lady we could all get behind....

What's wrong with Laura Robson? She's not blonde, I know, but still..
Original post by Numberwang
Andy's out, and I'd just like to put it out there, I've never been a fan of him. Grumpy, moody and dull.

I would've much preferred it had Tim Henman, an Englishman and a proud Brit, become the first 21st century British Wimbledon champion.

Are you a fan? Honestly?... Why?! I have opened a poll.

On a side note, should Murray have done a Djokovic and missed Queens to rest for Wimbledon. Bjorn Borg was famous for doing it. I'm tipping Novak to win, even if I'm not the biggest fan of his endurance, stay-on-the-baseline style.

I respect him as an athlete but I've always found his playing style to be rigid and proficient rather than exceptional or interesting. I think that's mainly the problem for me, his playing style is very average but he's just extremely good at it. Contrast to Federer or Nadal. Novak has the same problem with me.

Quick Reply

Latest