The Student Room Group

hard time in grad school because of my age

so, i'm 21 and in the second semester of my Msc. in Applied Psychology program after i graduated from my undergrad program.

i am not super smart or anything but everyone else in my class are way older than me. the next youngest student is 25.

so anyways, i've been having a hard time at grad school because some students from my class are really weird to me even though i'm super nice to them.

i also had a student say to me that i apparently lack life experience or whatever to become a good therapist. And things like that really offend me because obviously i've worked hard to get here and i have all the skills to be a good therapist and i feel like people are judging me in a bad way because of my age.

i know i am competent as i'm the only teaching assistant from my whole class for one of my professors and i'm also his research assistant working on a research project with some other people.

i feel like i don't belong at all and i get talked about behind my back. i am a very outgoing person and this is really bothering me. i spend more time in my advisor's office working on my research or talking to him than actually spending time with my class mates because apart from a few nice people, no one else bothers talking to me.

i love grad school and i love psychology but i feel like if people are this judgmental, they shouldn't bother becoming psychologists.

anyways, should i confront these people and tell them i don't appreciate being treated different. i wouldn't even say i am the smartest in my class, i just happened to skip a grade or two when i was young and did not take a break between my studies because i really wanted to be a psychologist as soon as possible.

so yeah...what should i do...this keeps bothering me :/

thanks in advance for any advice
Reply 1
They're probably just jealous that your younger then them and you got into grad school cos youre smart and proud to show it :-) tbh I would have a word with the tutors and see what they can do see if they can put you in another psych class.
Cos it's not like school even though by the sound of it theyre acting like children especially with putting you down and saying horrible things.

Yeah so in conclusion have a word with tutors :-)
Hope ths helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just ignore them.
You are the psychologist. What do you think ?
Reply 4
Original post by Old_Simon
You are the psychologist. What do you think ?

They're not super smart remember!
It'll get better. Believe me. I barely have any friends my own age. One of my closest friends is 49, and I'm 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Sun4
so, i'm 21 and in the second semester of my Msc. in Applied Psychology program after i graduated from my undergrad program.

i am not super smart or anything but everyone else in my class are way older than me. the next youngest student is 25.

so anyways, i've been having a hard time at grad school because some students from my class are really weird to me even though i'm super nice to them.

i also had a student say to me that i apparently lack life experience or whatever to become a good therapist. And things like that really offend me because obviously i've worked hard to get here and i have all the skills to be a good therapist and i feel like people are judging me in a bad way because of my age.

i know i am competent as i'm the only teaching assistant from my whole class for one of my professors and i'm also his research assistant working on a research project with some other people.

i feel like i don't belong at all and i get talked about behind my back. i am a very outgoing person and this is really bothering me. i spend more time in my advisor's office working on my research or talking to him than actually spending time with my class mates because apart from a few nice people, no one else bothers talking to me.

i love grad school and i love psychology but i feel like if people are this judgmental, they shouldn't bother becoming psychologists.

anyways, should i confront these people and tell them i don't appreciate being treated different. i wouldn't even say i am the smartest in my class, i just happened to skip a grade or two when i was young and did not take a break between my studies because i really wanted to be a psychologist as soon as possible.

so yeah...what should i do...this keeps bothering me :/

thanks in advance for any advice

Don't even think about it! You must be really smart to get there that young!! They're probably jealous, or maybe THEY feel uncomfortable around YOU. They're probably in awe of you!
Reply 7
Original post by Eah0691
They're probably just jealous that your younger then them and you got into grad school cos youre smart and proud to show it :-) tbh I would have a word with the tutors and see what they can do see if they can put you in another psych class.
Cos it's not like school even though by the sound of it theyre acting like children especially with putting you down and saying horrible things.

Yeah so in conclusion have a word with tutors :-)
Hope ths helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you...i think i'll talk to my advisor :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by A5ko
They're not super smart remember!

haha not sure if i'm supposed to laugh at this :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
It'll get better. Believe me. I barely have any friends my own age. One of my closest friends is 49, and I'm 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow! that is a huge age gap and yes i'm hoping it will get better :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Ashtwe
Don't even think about it! You must be really smart to get there that young!! They're probably jealous, or maybe THEY feel uncomfortable around YOU. They're probably in awe of you!

thank you...that is so nice of you to say that but yeah some people can be really unprofessional. hoping it get's better :smile:
Reply 11
Let us know how you get on :-) you.l can always PM me if you wanna chat :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending