The Student Room Group

Do I have the right to be annoyed...?

My boyfriend and I have booked the week off work (5 weekdays) but I assumed that we'd get to spend pretty much most of the 9 days together (if you include 2 weekends).

But I've found out that he had already booked tickets for a gig with a friend out of town so that's 2 days gone. Then he has a friend's bday thing for 2 days too. He also said he'd like to see his friends on another eve so now I have just 5 days instead.

I feel like I've been cheated somehow... I wonder what the point of me booking my week off at the same time as him was if he's gonna spend half of it with friends...

Maybe I'm being unfair. He had already pre-booked the other stuff before our week off. Maybe I should have just not agreed to book that week off if I knew he had those other plans already but it's not like he told me before we booked it anyway. I feel like him saying that he wanted to see his friends on one eve was the last straw... He could see them on a normal Friday work night as all they're gonna do is just going out for drinks anyway so I don't see why he has to do it in our holiday time... He said he hasn't see them in a while though so I guess I'm trying to be understanding about that...

What do you guys think about this? Am I being unreasonable...?

edit: (I've just realised I said I have 5 days with him and not 4 - one of days he's out of town is the Friday before the holiday.)
(edited 9 years ago)
If he had already made arrangements with his friends before he took the time off I don't see what the issue his? Perhaps he could've given you some notice that he had done so but I'm sure he didn't do it intentionally to hurt or annoy you.
Reply 2
I think if you assumed you were going to spend every day with each other he should've maybe told you. But you can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his friends on his week off.
Reply 3
Original post by fghi
My boyfriend and I have booked the week off work (5 weekdays) but I assumed that we'd get to spend pretty much most of the 9 days together (if you include 2 weekends).

But I've found out that he had already booked tickets for a gig with a friend out of town so that's 2 days gone. Then he has a friend's bday thing for 2 days too. He also said he'd like to see his friends on another eve so now I have just 5 days instead.

I feel like I've been cheated somehow... I wonder what the point of me booking my week off at the same time as him was if he's gonna spend half of it with friends...

Maybe I'm being unfair. He had already pre-booked the other stuff before our week off. Maybe I should have just not agreed to book that week off if I knew he had those other plans already but it's not like he told me before we booked it anyway. I feel like him saying that he wanted to see his friends on one eve was the last straw... He could see them on a normal Friday work night as all they're gonna do is just going out for drinks anyway so I don't see why he has to do it in our holiday time... He said he hasn't see them in a while though so I guess I'm trying to be understanding about that...

What do you guys think about this? Am I being unreasonable...?

yea you should be annoyed he could of told you and you could of booked off your time so that your not just sat on your arse while hes having fun.

but then again i guess its also your fault for not asking.

but its one of those communication issues of "you should of said" vs "you should of asked"

but id definitely say you've every right to be annoyed.
Reply 4
He asked me if I wanted to book the week off with him, and he refers to it as 'our week off', so I can't be too wrong about being annoyed... Then again, I try to tell myself he would have been OK about 9 days with me if I was able to book our first choice of dates (I couldn't because of work arrangements).
Original post by DivinityA
If he had already made arrangements with his friends before he took the time off I don't see what the issue his? Perhaps he could've given you some notice that he had done so but I'm sure he didn't do it intentionally to hurt or annoy you.

This.

Also, it comes off as the teeniest bit possessive the way you're going on about it... you don't have to spend every waking minute together in order to be a successful, happy couple. Surely, it's a good thing he's gonna be spending some of that time with his friends? Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
Original post by Freudian Slip
This.

Also, it comes off as the teeniest bit possessive the way you're going on about it... you don't have to spend every waking minute together in order to be a successful, happy couple. Surely, it's a good thing he's gonna be spending some of that time with his friends? Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

It could be pretty boring for her though of she can't find anything to do
I think you are being a tad dramatic. Why cant you go see your friends and do stuff with them whilst he's with his friends? And surely its better for a relationship if you have your own stuff as well as stuff to do together. You are still getting 5 days of just you and him out of nine.
Original post by redferry
It could be pretty boring for her though of she can't find anything to do

Mmm, I acknowledge this is true.

Although, if those plans had been pre-arranged, I guess there's not much can be done about them now and they seem like pretty good reasons for his absence to me! On the bright side, they still get to spend several days together. Maybe it's just me and my boyfriend who have a 'personal space thing'. :colone:
Original post by Freudian Slip
Mmm, I acknowledge this is true.

Although, if those plans had been pre-arranged, I guess there's not much can be done about them now and they seem like pretty good reasons for his absence to me! On the bright side, they still get to spend several days together. Maybe it's just me and my boyfriend who have a 'personal space thing'. :colone:

Yeah but I would not be booking those days off work! Holidays are precious, I'm not taking them to sit around the house on my own!

If it were me the days I'd be spending on my own I'd try and cancel holiday for of I could.
Sounds like he cares more about his friends that his girlfriend...
I'd be quite annoyed. Holiday days are precious and if he referred to it as "our week off" then I would expect the week to be spent mainly wth me.

However, nothing you can do about it anymore. If he's not around during the weekdays then I'd go into work tbh and get my holiday dates back for another time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh, and it's just become 4 days with him now, even after I told him I was upset about it...

Quick Reply