The Student Room Group

A Level History or English Literature?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jooooshy
I found the timing was okay. The skill is to identify when you're writing rubbish that isn't picking you up any marks.. Which is mostly when you write a full page about context (i.e. re-telling the story of the poem, like the examiner doesn't already know).

A good exercise it to read back your essay with assessment objectives in mind, then cross out all sentences which don't meet the objectives, being hyper-critical of yourself. What your left with is all that would have gotten you your marks in the exam. What you crossed out is time you would have wasted!

Ah right okay! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I start studying Lit :wink: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CescaD96
For CCEA English Lit, at AS, what novel and plays did you do? Seems you really enjoyed it, but I hated the "creative" section of the coursework!

We did The Great Gatsby, and for the plays we studied for the coursework, we did A Streetcar Named Desire (which is like, the greatest play ever haha) and The Glass Menagerie . I loved all of those! I actually really liked doing the creative section, though the Head English teacher at my school personally marked my work, and it didn't score as well as other people in my class whose work wasn't marked by him :frown:

What novel and plays did you study?
Reply 42
Original post by CeeJay96
We did The Great Gatsby, and for the plays we studied for the coursework, we did A Streetcar Named Desire (which is like, the greatest play ever haha) and The Glass Menagerie . I loved all of those! I actually really liked doing the creative section, though the Head English teacher at my school personally marked my work, and it didn't score as well as other people in my class whose work wasn't marked by him :frown:

What novel and plays did you study?

I did exactly the same! I hated the creative work because in the end we couldn't be creative as CCEA really hated my school last year and lowered everyone down a grade boundary because the links between ASND and TGM weren't "explicit", according to them, so I hated my work. Didn't mind my Shakespeare coursework as it was As You Like It.
I did exactly the same! I hated the creative work because in the end we couldn't be creative as CCEA really hated my school last year and lowered everyone down a grade boundary because the links between ASND and TGM weren't "explicit", according to them, so I hated my work. Didn't mind my Shakespeare coursework as it was As You Like It.

That's so strange. We didn't seem to be penalised for being really creative, they must have hated your school :frown:

I'd like to have done As You Like It. We did Antony and Cleopatra and to be honest, its probably my least favourite piece of Shakespeare that I've studied (and I've studied quite a lot of it, having done both English Lit and Drama up to A2).
Reply 44
That's so strange. We didn't seem to be penalised for being really creative, they must have hated your school :frown:

I'd like to have done As You Like It. We did Antony and Cleopatra and to be honest, its probably my least favourite piece of Shakespeare that I've studied (and I've studied quite a lot of it, having done both English Lit and Drama up to A2).

As You Like It was great. It's one of the easier plays. My teacher wanted to do Anthony and Cleopatra but he found the question area a bit ugh.
As You Like It was great. It's one of the easier plays. My teacher wanted to do Anthony and Cleopatra but he found the question area a bit ugh.

I'm so jealous :tongue:
A-level English Literature I think is the best A-level I took and the one I was very doubtful to choose at the start of Year 12. Definitely a breather from Maths.😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I'm so jealous :tongue:

You should be. It was the easiest coursework ever :wink:
Reply 48
Original post by Madmatician
I do enjoy reading, one of the main reasons I'm considering Lit! :tongue:

If you don't mind my asking, what topics did you study for History?

The topics I did for AS History were 'The Experience of Warfare in Britain 1854-1929' and then 'From Autocracy to Communism Russia: 1894-1941'.

I genuinely thought I'd never learn the whole of the communist topic because our revision guide was soooo long with so many chapters and so many dates and people to know... But turns out I did better in that exam despite having enjoyed the Britain one more!

I'm not sure if those will be the same topics you would study? But those are the ones I did :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Madmatician
Hey guys :smile:

I was going to take History, but I'm not entirely keen on the topics they study at the sixth form I want to go to. I was thinking of taking English Literature instead as I'm pretty good at it naturally and have an affinity for reading and creative writing. However, I don't like linguistic analysis all that much so I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. :s-smilie: If it's any help, my sixth form is with AQA for all the subjects I'm considering.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Well do you have a long term goal in mind, with regards to work or further study? If you plan on studying a social science like economics or sociology, law etc. then I would go for history. It gives you a taste of working with empirical data and applying it to argument. English in contrast is a little more conceptual. You can make any argument you like as long as it's logical, whereas in history there's a presumption of more objective truths. That could serve you in things like philosophy, film studies or history of art. I'm not sure either one is 'harder' than the other. I've done both, and personally I'm more at home in history because I like 'facts' and get a bit muddled with theory. But if you have a strong passion for literature, then you'll be a lot more happy in English than muddling through history topics you don't find interesting. Basically, if you don't have a plan in mind, just pick what you like.

Quick Reply

Latest