The Student Room Group

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants

I originally made this page for Cambridge applicants (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=48457150#post48457150) , but decided to make it for all universities.

So, post something like this.

Uni applying for:
College applying for (if Oxbridge):
GCSEs:
AS-Levels (studied/grades):
Predicted grades (may be self-predicted):
Background reading:
SMC/BMO:
Anything else maths related:

For me:
Uni applying for: Cambridge.
College applying for (if Oxbridge): Emmanuel
GCSEs: 13A*
AS-Levels (studied/grades): Maths, further maths, physics and spanish
Predicted grades (may be self-predicted): A*A*A*A* (no doubt)
Background reading: 'A very short introduction to Fractals' - Falconer, 'A very short introduction to Mathematics' - Gowers.
SMC/BMO: None as of yet, going to enter SMC this year and hopefully get to BMO1.
Anything else maths related: teach year 11's maths and executive ambassador of maths at my (rubbish) school.

Edit:

I have firmed Cambridge and made Imperial my insurance.

Here's the maths connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

GCSE: 7A* 3A 1B (A* in Maths A level)
AS Levels: Further Maths, Biology , Chemistry , Physics
AS Predicted : A,A,A,A
A levels: Further Additional Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics
Predicted A levels: A*,A*,A,A*
Background Reading: Read (nearly) all the books on the reading list
SMC/BMO : None, but hopefully going to do BMO1 this year
Relevant maths stuff: Have done STEP II this year but expecting a 2 so not sure if I'll mention that.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by arrow900
Relevant maths stuff: Have done STEP II this year but expecting a 2 so not sure if I'll mention that.

How many is that?! Like 40?!

You aren't expected to read all of the book for the module it's recommended for; you are only supposed to read the sections relating to that module. I have textbooks that are 600 pages long and I only understand around 30 pages after completing first year mathematics.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in studying at Newcastle, feel free to ask me questions. (But hardly anyone on TSR studies maths at Newcastle :frown:)
Original post by DomStaff
How many is that?! Like 40?!

Sorry that was an exaggeration, more like 13-15

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by rayquaza17
You aren't expected to read all of the book for the module it's recommended for; you are only supposed to read the sections relating to that module. I have textbooks that are 600 pages long and I only understand around 30 pages after completing first year mathematics.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in studying at Newcastle, feel free to ask me questions. (But hardly anyone on TSR studies maths at Newcastle :frown:)

I think he was on about the Cambridge Mathematical Reading List, which is aimed at people yet to begin their uni course.
I think he was on about the Cambridge Mathematical Reading List, which is aimed at people yet to begin their uni course.

Oh right, that makes a lot more sense!
Reply 7

Which college are you thinking of split to?
Which college are you thinking of split to?

I know one college I WON'T be applying to. :wink:

I'm not too sure tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I know one college I WON'T be applying to. :wink:

I'm not too sure tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that Churchill?!
Is that Churchill?!

No lol Trinity of course.
From what I've heard, its suicidal to even try, due to the competition. I just want to be at Cambridge. I don't really mind where.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
No lol Trinity of course.
From what I've heard, its suicidal to even try, due to the competition. I just want to be at Cambridge. I don't really mind where.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way I see it, you either have to be a genius or to have very influential parents, those with the latter would disagree, however.
The way I see it, you either have to be a genius or to have very influential parents, those with the latter would disagree, however.

Yes you are quite right. Where will you be applying ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yes you are quite right. Where will you be applying ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anywhere but Churchill haha! Pretty much any of the old buildings, Emmanuel is what I'm fancying atm.
uni: cambridge
colleges: fitzwilliam or kings ?!!?
gcse's : 5A*'s 3as 3bs 1d
as: maths , further maths, further additional maths , physics and chem ( sitting all fp modules and all mechanics modules also)
predicted as:AAAAA
A2: A*A*A*A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
uni: cambridge
colleges: fitzwilliam or kings ?!!?
gcse's : 5A*'s 8A's
as: maths , further maths, further additional maths , physics and chem ( sitting all fp modules and all mechanics modules also)
predicted as:AAAAA
A2: A*A*A*A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh and relevant maths bmo , scored 117/125 in maths challenge and got to round 2 of BMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by physicsmaths
oh and relevant maths bmo , scored 117/125 in maths challenge and got to round 2 of BMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

With regards to your college choice: kings is beautiful but is also insanely competitive, my uncle went to Fitzwilliam and loved it.

What is this additional further maths qualification I seem to hear about? I don't think OCR (my board) do it.

How did you prepare for SMC by the way, like what sort of things do you need to know? Because I'm going to do it this year!
Reply 17
Uni applying for: Cambridge
College applying for (if Oxbridge): St Johns
GCSEs: 11 A*s, D*D (Btecs), A in FSMQ, 4 maths modules in y11
AS-Levels (studied/grades): maths, further maths, physics, biology, chemistry
Background reading: done a complex analysis course online if that counts :tongue:
SMC/BMO: 115/125 in SMC, BMO1
Anything else maths related: attended an Ukmt summer school in y11. Done STEP I this year, probably got a 1 though. Done m2/m3 this year. Lots of other random junk but that's the bulk of it aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Wesbian
Uni applying for: Cambridge
College applying for (if Oxbridge): St Johns
GCSEs: 11 A*s, D*D (Btecs), A in FSMQ, 4 maths modules in y11
AS-Levels (studied/grades): maths, further maths, physics, biology, chemistry
Background reading: done a complex analysis course online if that counts :tongue:
SMC/BMO: 115/125 in SMC, BMO1
Anything else maths related: attended an Ukmt summer school in y11. Done STEP I this year, probably got a 1 though. Done m2/m3 this year. Lots of other random junk but that's the bulk of it aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you go to a private school?

Not meant in a derogatory way, just an observation from the fact you are lucky enough to do STEP I in year 12.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you go to a private school?

Not meant in a derogatory way, just an observation from the fact you are lucky enough to do STEP I in year 12.

Nope aha, I go to a very average sixth form :smile:. When they put the STEP applications in for the year 13s I was just very insistent on being put in for it so they did lol. Glad I did it though cause I'll know way better for step II/III next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest