The Student Room Group

Is anyone else motivated by money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_wallflower
Before I get a ton of replies saying the same thing, I'm well aware money can't buy you happiness, but at the same time being poor can't buy you anything.
I'm about to go to university this year, so obviously entering the world of work is still a way off, but I feel like if I don't end up in a job making a decent amount of money that would allow me to live in London and travel and shop at places that aren't just high-street brands regularly then I'll feel as if I've failed.
There's always been financial difficulty in my house and so I know, whilst completely unintentional, my parents have made me see money, and lack of, as a source of stress. I hate living like this and can see myself working so hard to avoid it.
People always make being motivated by money into such a bad thing but I don't know if it really is and does anyone else feel the same?

I am lucky am from London and my parents own my house :smile: . Where are you from and why do you want to move to London.
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
"Many men have lost lots of money chasing women, but no man has ever lost women chasing money" :cool:

is this sarcasm or....
Original post by Sanctimonious
Not at all. I shall be doing an AMA thread about it soon as others have asked about it as well. I ran a construction business for 2 years.

you sound like you know what youre talking about

itd be great if yeh could advice us on other matters also
Original post by vickidc18
Money doesn't make you happy but it has become more important to me now I've got a child, we know things are going to be harder for the next generation. We have just bought a house, my fiance wants to do contracting which is upto £850 a day pay it's going to be hard long hours etc, but we want to send our daughter to private school and have a house bought for her when she comes of age. I want her to have the most comfortable life possible is that such a bad thing?

buy her a house:? seems a bit spolit...like sometimes that sortive thing is better earned...
no its your choice not a bad thing at all..except might make the kid not value money as much...personally Id be pretty cheap with my kids..and spend more on education sports...learning skills etc
Hm, interesting points. Thank you for replying.
I guess leisure time and people you're with etc are also important but I like the idea that money allows you the freedom to say take a spontaneous trip to Paris at the weekend without worrying about the cost, for example. I also wouldn't mind working insanely hard for several years to get to where I want to be as long as I could then enjoy it at some point. Hopefully there are some people with a similar mindset or it might get quite lonely ahah

Ive been a miser all my life:P

but I agree....I mean right now id consider gradmed or travelling abroad etc..

as I think nows the time to do it...in your 20s not wayy down the line

sure itd be ideal to be earning by 25...but better to have the best career you can get and exprience and fun had by 30

tis a long road ahead so worth it I think

the pain is that when you get to about 30..you need to start settling down...paying for marriage...kids...theres a small bracket there if yeh want a decent family so it aint easy
Original post by Pussy Galore
Do you have access to a property to live in, within London? I.e a parents house or living with a mate?

further to your problem with the whole money issue have you ever thought about taking up training in internet marketing? you will find that many of us are now treating the money problem side of things as being less stressful although you do need a little money to start it is very beneficial in the end!
Original post by 96jaimin96
I am lucky am from London and my parents own my house :smile: . Where are you from and why do you want to move to London.

That is lucky. I live up north in a kinda quiet village and I hate it here. My mum is from London so I have family there and whenever we visit I can't get over how much better London is - there's always something going on and so many people so you could be completely anonymous if you wanted to
Reply 47
Before I get a ton of replies saying the same thing, I'm well aware money can't buy you happiness, but at the same time being poor can't buy you anything.
I'm about to go to university this year, so obviously entering the world of work is still a way off, but I feel like if I don't end up in a job making a decent amount of money that would allow me to live in London and travel and shop at places that aren't just high-street brands regularly then I'll feel as if I've failed.
There's always been financial difficulty in my house and so I know, whilst completely unintentional, my parents have made me see money, and lack of, as a source of stress. I hate living like this and can see myself working so hard to avoid it.
People always make being motivated by money into such a bad thing but I don't know if it really is and does anyone else feel the same?

Get a job.
Get a pay rise.
Get a promotion.

Youll find money actually doesnt motive you that much, unless the pay is very incentive based. Given your background id be suprised if you wanted to work for a precarious income stream.

What are you looking at doing?

Far better off chasing a decent job with a purpose - teacher, doctor, police, fire service etc and family life. You'll be far better off and enjoy a better quality of life than someone trying to get rich.

Incidentally all public sector jobs, that the government 'rinse you dry' to pay for.

(unless you teach at a private school or practice medicine privately that is)
Reply 49
Hm, interesting points. Thank you for replying.
I guess leisure time and people you're with etc are also important but I like the idea that money allows you the freedom to say take a spontaneous trip to Paris at the weekend without worrying about the cost, for example. I also wouldn't mind working insanely hard for several years to get to where I want to be as long as I could then enjoy it at some point. Hopefully there are some people with a similar mindset or it might get quite lonely ahah

Not if your high paying job means you need to suddenly work late Friday or come in at the weekend. Plans ruined.
A high salary helps pay off student debt but at what cost to your own happiness? Depends what your priorities are I guess.
Original post by Quady
Get a job.
Get a pay rise.
Get a promotion.

Youll find money actually doesnt motive you that much, unless the pay is very incentive based. Given your background id be suprised if you wanted to work for a precarious income stream.

What are you looking at doing?

Probably banking or something in the City I think. Kinda worried I won't get in but I'm not sure what else pays well given I've already chosen the degree I'm supposed to start in September
If you go out chasing the money dream in the UK then good luck but you'll find out as I did its hard work for little reward in real terms. Fine in other countries I suppose where the government doesn't rinse you dry in any way it can think of.

So I take it that you got hit with taxes/charges you weren't expecting? May I ask what these were? I've done a business plan (with me as the only full employee) and have accounted for VAT, corporate tax, NI, am I missing anything?
Original post by stainluss
So I take it that you got hit with taxes/charges you weren't expecting? May I ask what these were? I've done a business plan (with me as the only full employee) and have accounted for VAT, corporate tax, NI, am I missing anything?

Depends on the industry. The costs in construction are ridiculous because of health and safety and over regulation.

Good luck to you and your business but whilst I made profit during my time working I don't believe it was enough to say it was worth the constant stress.

Its very hard mate so the best of luck to you and at least you are driven enough to give it a try. What sector you going into? I can then give you more of an idea on overheads then.
Depends on the industry. The costs in construction are ridiculous because of health and safety and over regulation.

Good luck to you and your business but whilst I made profit during my time working I don't believe it was enough to say it was worth the constant stress.

Its very hard mate so the best of luck to you and at least you are driven enough to give it a try. What sector you going into? I can then give you more of an idea on overheads then.

Thanks for the response bud.
I was thinking just a bog-standard software reseller with commission-only independent contractors instead of employees to start off - lowest initial investment I could think of.
Yes I am motivated by money to a great extent, but I am also interested in pursuing the study of law. In addition I have a keen interest in business and economics, expecting an A for A level business and so I thought I should pursue a career as a commercial lawyer in the city
Learning is my motivation. I want to go to university to learn and then stay there to research and contribute to my field. I don't really care about money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending