The Student Room Group

Anyone else have bad eyesight?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ubi1
I typed it in Google a week ago just type Computer Eye test and it will come up you have to read the letters from 20 feet and something like that.

:s-smilie: How far is 20 feet? Doubt I can see anything from that distance:frown:
Reply 141
Original post by qewrtyu
:s-smilie: How far is 20 feet? Doubt I can see anything from that distance:frown:

1st letter everybody can see and it gets smaller and harder to see as you go down. If you can't see the biggest letter then your blind but I doubt it you will see the first few lines.
Original post by qewrtyu
So what prescription would 20/200 be roughly? Apparently thats how bad your eyesight needs to be while corrected to be considered legally blind:s-smilie:

See, that's the thing. WHILE CORRECTED. Essentially that's 'we've given you the strongest glasses we can and you still can't see below the top letter', or 'we can't fix your problem'. So someone could perhaps not be able to see the top letter but if they have their, say, -4D lenses and see right to the bottom. That's not being legally blind because their correction means they can see below that top letter.

Someone who is legally blind could have a prescription of -20 or -2, depending on what's wrong with them. All that matters is that whatever is wrong, while wearing their glasses they still can't see past that letter.
Original post by ubi1
1st letter everybody can see and it gets smaller and harder to see as you go down. If you can't see the biggest letter then your blind but I doubt it you will see the first few lines.

No you aren't.
Reply 144
Original post by BlueSheep32
Someone I used to be good friends with once lied at an eye test so they'd say she needed glasses because she really wanted them :s-smilie: My cousin's ex-girlfriend used to wear frames with just clear plastic in too to make herself look more intelligent.
Yeah, unfortunately when you're 19 you can't - I can't either. It's something you just have to pay for though :s-smilie:
The glasses I have now are different to the two pairs I had before and I think they're the nicest ones I've had for a while so I'm happy to stick with those frames, I have quite a small face so it's really hard for me to find ones that don't just dominate my face or aren't too wide.
Haha, that's true :tongue: I always feel like I have to wear make-up when I wear contacts to cover that up. If I'm not wearing my contacts my excuse is that I can't actually see to put it on :tongue: I think I've got the hang of putting them in quickly now, but my eyes just seem to get irritated by them.

:eek:Presumably if you wore glasses you didn't need for any length of time you would get headaches and eventually your eyes would adjust so that you would actually need the glasses after a while:s-smilie:
I just had my last under 16 eye test but I guess I will be able to get free eye tests for another 2 years as I will remain in full time education. I just wasn't sure whether you could have 2 eye tests in one year. Anyway it is too late now as I have already ordered new glasses!
Yeah contact lenses do seem to dry your eyes out if you have them in for too long :s-smilie:. Haha thats a good excuse, though some people seem to be able to put contact lenses in without a mirror :confused:. Guess it is like putting earrings in - eventually you get used to it.
I'm too lazy to wear contact lenses and make up everyday:tongue:
Reply 145
Original post by ubi1

Actually I can't see the top letter clearly when I'm having an eye test but I'm not blind :s-smilie:
Reply 146
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
No you aren't.

I though not seeing the biggest letter will mean you wont be able to any of the letters on the grid thus failing the test.
Original post by ubi1
I though not seeing the biggest letter will mean you wont be able to any of the letters on the grid thus failing the test.

The test isn't 'pass/fail'. The letters help the optom determine what your prescription might be.

You're legally blind if you can't see the top letter when your eyesight is corrected -ie with your glasses on. (And that's after an optom has a look at it. You're not necessarily legally blind if you just haven't gone for years and your prescription is wildly out of date).
Reply 148
See, that's the thing. WHILE CORRECTED. Essentially that's 'we've given you the strongest glasses we can and you still can't see below the top letter', or 'we can't fix your problem'. So someone could perhaps not be able to see the top letter but if they have their, say, -4D lenses and see right to the bottom. That's not being legally blind because their correction means they can see below that top letter.

Someone who is legally blind could have a prescription of -20 or -2, depending on what's wrong with them. All that matters is that whatever is wrong, while wearing their glasses they still can't see past that letter.

Ok I understand that, I was just wondering what prescription a person with 20/200 vision uncorrected would have. I know they wouldn't be considered legally blind if their eyesight can be corrected.
Reply 149
Original post by ubi1

Basically in an eye test they give you different lenses to try out and then you see how much you can read with the lenses and which ones make the letters clearer, therefore determining your prescription
Original post by qewrtyu
Ok I understand that, I was just wondering what prescription a person with 20/200 vision uncorrected would have. I know they wouldn't be considered legally blind if their eyesight can be corrected.

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. I'm not 100% sure, I'm thinking in the region of -3 to -4, given that mine's about -1.5 to -2 (depending on who you ask, lol) and I see 20/80ish.
Reply 151
Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. I'm not 100% sure, I'm thinking in the region of -3 to -4, given that mine's about -1.5 to -2 (depending on who you ask, lol) and I see 20/80ish.

Urgh if 20/200 is about -3 to -4 then mine is probably about 20/400:eek:
Haha it seems to me that calculating prescriptions is very subjective, sometimes I'm not even sure which of the two lenses they show me is better or whether the circles in the green or the red background look clearer :confused:
My dad's an optician so I'm regularly checked :smile: Just got new glasses for seeing far away etc, but hardly use them, especially in school
I got mine in Year 6, didn't wear them until Year 7, after that wore them on and off until Year 9, have been permanently wearing them since Year 9. (I'm in Year 11 atm)

They were getting worse and worse between Year 6 and 9. Started off really weak, around -0.25 to -0.50 in both eyes, and then in Year 9, they got to around -5ish. They're at -5ish to -6 now (don't know exactly), but wearing them permanently has steadied the decline.

I actually like wearing glasses. I have humongous eyes but wearing them seems to make them look a little more normal-sized, haha. :redface: They still look big but people think it's the glasses - haha they don't know anything :wink:
Reply 154
Original post by Madmatician
I got mine in Year 6, didn't wear them until Year 7, after that wore them on and off until Year 9, have been permanently wearing them since Year 9. (I'm in Year 11 atm)

They were getting worse and worse between Year 6 and 9. Started off really weak, around -0.25 to -0.50 in both eyes, and then in Year 9, they got to around -5ish. They're at -5ish to -6 now (don't know exactly), but wearing them permanently has steadied the decline.

I actually like wearing glasses. I have humongous eyes but wearing them seems to make them look a little more normal-sized, haha. :redface: They still look big but people think it's the glasses - haha they don't know anything :wink:

Wow from -0.25/-0.5 to -5/-6 is quite a big drop.
Haha, this only works if you have big eyes though. If your eyes are about average sized then you just end up with small eyes :s-smilie:
Original post by qewrtyu
Urgh if 20/200 is about -3 to -4 then mine is probably about 20/400:eek:
Haha it seems to me that calculating prescriptions is very subjective, sometimes I'm not even sure which of the two lenses they show me is better or whether the circles in the green or the red background look clearer :confused:

Just go get a test rather than speculating.

If you aren't sure or they both look the same then say so - that is almost certainly more useful than guessing.
Reply 156
I need glasses but I'm not that bad
Reply 157
Just go get a test rather than speculating.

If you aren't sure or they both look the same then say so - that is almost certainly more useful than guessing.

I have had an eyetest recently and one of my eyes seems to have improved slightly while the other seems to have got slightly worse. I thought this was a bit strange but apparently its normal :s-smilie:
-7, -8. But it's calmed down, i used to fluctuate between -9 and -10 for my entire childhood. It started stabilising when I hit like 15.
Reply 159
Original post by Elelia
-7, -8. But it's calmed down, i used to fluctuate between -9 and -10 for my entire childhood. It started stabilising when I hit like 15.

so your eyesight has got better? Thats good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest