The Student Room Group

Is modern culture destroying moral values ?

Look how family life was back in this country 60 or more years ago and now look at it, it's in complete shambles. Teenage pregnancies across the board, abortions, half of kids in this country are born with one parent,kids stabbing each others etc....

Modern lifestyle ( drinking, smoking, taking weed) has had an adverse affect on human behaviour in my opinion.

Women got habituated to modern type of dressing which makes them look bad wearing the more 'modern' they look pretty much equates to wearing less and less clothes .

Manners like respecting parents, teachers, the elderly,etc seem to not exist any more,kids are cursing at their own parents.Children seem fearless now to adults because they know they have more rights ... :mad:

What's dangerous is when the moral standards decrease, the respect of others also decreases.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

You're obsessed with 'the way things were', aren't you? :lolwut:
Reply 2
Original post by Freudian Slip
You're obsessed with 'the way things were', aren't you? :lolwut:

Why is it wrong?
I'd be weary of looking at history as being all rosey
Original post by Minju
Why is it wrong?

Times change, values change, people change. I'm not saying I agree with the things you've listed as being negative, I just think some of them are massive generalisations. Also, 'drinking and smoking' are so, so far from being 'modern', it's unreal.
Reply 5
Original post by Minju
Look how family life was back in this country 60 or more years ago and now look at it, it's in complete shambles. Teenage pregnancies across the board, abortions, half of kids in this country are born with one parent,kids stabbing each others etc....

Modern lifestyle ( drinking, smoking, taking weed) has had an adverse affect on human behaviour in my opinion.

Women got habituated to modern type of dressing which makes them look bad wearing the more 'modern' they look pretty much equates to wearing less and less clothes .

Manners like respecting parents, teachers, the elderly,etc seem to not exist any more,kids are cursing at their own parents.Children seem fearless now to adults because they know they have more rights ... :mad:

What's dangerous is when the moral standards decrease, the respect of others also decreases.

What do you think?

Yes, its obvious but feminist will not admit it.
Its a free for all now.
Reply 6
Times change, values change, people change. I'm not saying I agree with the things you've listed as being negative, I just think some of them are massive generalisations. Also, 'drinking and smoking' are so, so far from being 'modern', it's unreal.

Yes they are part of modern living.
Reply 7
Original post by samsun53
Yes, its obvious but feminist will not admit it.
Its a free for all now.

Why won't feminist admit it?
Original post by Minju
Yes they are part of modern living.

Wow. :sigh:

I meant the history of smoking, both tobacco and cannabis pre-dates 'modern culture', as does the recreational use of alcohol. If, by 'modern', you mean thousands of years prior to today then, by all means, I stand corrected.
Reply 9
Wow. :sigh:

I meant the history of smoking, both tobacco and cannabis pre-dates 'modern culture', as does the recreational use of alcohol. If, by 'modern', you mean thousands of years prior to today then, by all means, I stand corrected.

Peer pressure-most teens, even younger are around people who smoke and drink. Nowdays in modern society fi you don't drink or do drugs they will consider you as a 'reject'.
Reply 10
Original post by Minju
Why won't feminist admit it?

Feminism is a cover for women of today to sleep around and have one night stands! bring up kids as single mums, get benefits from state and free housing. Breed different illegitimate kids from different men.

Feminism gives women excuses, how its not immoral it is just womens rights and all sorts of bull.
Reply 11
Original post by samsun53
Feminism is a cover for women of today to sleep around and have one night stands! bring up kids as single mums, get benefits from state and free housing. Breed different illegitimate kids from different men.

Feminism gives women excuses, how its not immoral it is just womens rights and all sorts of bull.

I don't agree with you,being a femnist does not equate with wanting to being alone and claiming benefits. So if you're a feminist, you have to be single? Lol, What century are you living in? Discussing feminism is not "allowing women to be sluts" it is giving women the AGENCY to decide for themselves.
Original post by Minju
Peer pressure-most teens, even younger are around people who smoke and drink. Nowdays in modern society fi you don't drink or do drugs they will consider you as a 'reject'.

Your evidence for this being where, exactly? I know plenty of people who managed to avoid this peer pressure whilst growing up and continue to do so, including teens who are managing it, as we speak. You can't judge the majority by the actions of the minority.
Original post by Minju

What do you think?

The representation of modern society in the media is hardly a representation of what life is like for most people from day-to-day. Obviously the attitudes to some things have changed e.g. divorce, abortion etc. Abortion has only been legal since the 1960s, previously women had to go underground to have one which meant it was more dangerous. Things like have always existed.
Same with alcohol (assuming you mean binge drinking? Nothing wrong with having a few drinks), drugs and cigarettes, they are not new inventions, people used to smoke more in the 40s and 50s than they do now. I get extremely well with my parents and have always had incredible respect for my teachers. More and more people go to university now than ever before. That surely must be a positive about modern society.
Modern consumeristic culture? Hell yeah, it's also destroying the environment and society as a whole (especially those abroad in severe conflict).
The past wasn't all that great. You don't need to respect people that don't respect you, even if they're older than you.

I agree parenting has gone down the s****** though, but that's because of government intervention i.e being told you can't smack your kids. Most unruly children just need a good slap tbh.

Just because a woman isn't wearing a skirt down to her knees doesn't mean she's a bad person. It's called fashion and it changes - long skirts and dresses are actually in fashion right now so...

Smoking, drinking, abortions, drugs etc all happened back then too it's nothing new, abortions are just safer now and if you think that's bad then good luck going back to a time where women died unnecessarily.

Times change, always have done. Just because families are different now doesn't mean they're not loving or effective.

You just seem pretty judgemental, which people have always been - people from the generation you miss will have thought the same about the one before them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People have always complained about moral degeneracy, drunkenness, wanton women, idleness, etc. for hundred of years. There is nothing special about modern culture as a cause. Moralists need something to complain about.
So many fallacies, the most blatant being the golden age fallacy you are basing your opinion on.
Reply 18
Original post by Minju

What do you think?

You're kind of making it all up as you go along.

Modern life is exceptionally civilised. The world used to really, really suck.

60 years ago, we had Teddy Boys stabbing one another in the streets. 70 years ago there we had bombs falling on London because we were in a war of annihilation.

I can't think of a time when life hasn't been better now.
That's not the case for all families though. There are plenty of families out there who live by good morals and standards, but obviously won't get much recognition when put up against a family where there's no stability or morals. The media thrive off of that stuff. But I do understand that you're right when you say things have changed, but that will always happen. Society will never be the same all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending