The Student Room Group

Be honest. Did I not get the job?

Hi,

Went to an interview recently and they asked me what i would be preferred to called, at the end of the interview. Thing is, the person who asked me this, was covering for the actual interviewer (actual interviewer was 'sick'). His handshake seemed weak, light and not to firm.

I don't even know how it went, and I was asked questions and got some wrong. They told me not to worry about it, but I'm thinking they must have asked those questions for a reason...

Also, I was told at the start of the interview, that there are other candidates that they have to interview.

All in all, this interview experience has been very very different to the ones I have been in the past. I really really want this job as it related to my future. I am surprised I wasn't asked any competency questions such as...

What do you want to do in the next 5 years?

Why did you pick X course?

Name a time when you had to work in a team?

Does this mean I am rejected?
Reply 1
How could anyone here possibly even guess?
Reply 2
Only they know.
Stop worrying.
Reply 3
It could go either way to be honest... Don't think negatively about it! As long as you think you tried your best! Good Luck with it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Kill3er
Only they know.
Stop worrying.

I'm sorry but I should be worrying.

I have been applying for 8 months now, and I am still unemployed

But seriously, what are indicators that I may/may not have got the job
Reply 5
Original post by Jenjen24
It could go either way to be honest... Don't think negatively about it! As long as you think you tried your best! Good Luck with it :smile:

Oh the word, 'good luck'... I just don't like that word. It means that I am not too good or don't deserve something.

Anyways, I really want the job and told them that repeatedly.
Original post by po10tial
Oh the word, 'good luck'... I just don't like that word. It means that I am not too good or don't deserve something.

Maybe if you had a more positive attitude you'd have a greater chance of being employed? Repeatedly telling them how much you want the job is weird; you don't want to come off creepy and clingy. What's the point asking if you got it or not on here; how could we possibly know? The 'weak' handshake meant nothing, the questions are selected to find out about you (not to catch you out), and it doesn't matter you weren't asked any of the generic questions.

They ask the same questions to everybody; it's not like they don't bother asking 'competency' questions if they decide they don't like you half way through. Maybe they're sick of asking the traditional, boring questions like how have you worked in a team, and want to make more of an effort to find out different things about their applicants?
Reply 7
I'm sorry but I should be worrying.

I have been applying for 8 months now, and I am still unemployed

But seriously, what are indicators that I may/may not have got the job

They are no indicators.
You could think you've done awfully and have still got the job, or vice versa.
And for sure, nobody on here can tell you.

Hopefully you did get the job.
Reply 8
Original post by Kill3er
They are no indicators.
You could think you've done awfully and have still got the job, or vice versa.
And for sure, nobody on here can tell you.

Hopefully you did get the job.

Thanks. Hopefully I did indeed get the job :smile: Fingers crossed
Reply 9
Hi,

Went to an interview recently and they asked me what i would be preferred to called, at the end of the interview. Thing is, the person who asked me this, was covering for the actual interviewer (actual interviewer was 'sick'). His handshake seemed weak, light and not to firm.

I don't even know how it went, and I was asked questions and got some wrong. They told me not to worry about it, but I'm thinking they must have asked those questions for a reason...

Also, I was told at the start of the interview, that there are other candidates that they have to interview.

All in all, this interview experience has been very very different to the ones I have been in the past. I really really want this job as it related to my future. I am surprised I wasn't asked any competency questions such as...

What do you want to do in the next 5 years?

Why did you pick X course?

Name a time when you had to work in a team?

Does this mean I am rejected?

No it doesnt mean that your rejected. If that person was covering the actual interviewer they may not have even been prepared that day to conduct your interview and the firmness of their handshake really does not mean a thing.

As for getting questions wrong again that also doesnt mean you won't get the job, if they preferred your attitude and personality over other candidates then they take that into consideration too.

In the last interview I had I wasn't asked why I wanted the job or anything like that, I filled in a questionnaire and they asked for my clothes size for the uniform and I got the job.

They'll let you know within a given time, and most companies allow you to phone up and ask how you could improve in future ect if you were unsuccessful. Good luck :smile:

Well no good luck for you then. Jeez.

Rude much?
Reply 12
Don't worry, this is not only job you got, there are many.

Anyway good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Eagle14
Don't worry, this is not only job you got, there are many.

Anyway good luck!

It is a dream job and I told the interviewer in the end.

He asked me if I applied to other jobs or if I had other interviews coming up... Is this a good or bad sign?
Reply 14
Original post by Jenjen24
Well no good luck for you then. Jeez.

I'm sorry if I offended you.

It's just an opinion. I don't really believe in luck, because I don't consider myself 'lucky'. People close to me or know me well always say 'break a leg'.

But, admittedly with jobs nowadays there may be some element of luck. Meh, who knows, if I get the job - then I may believe or have more faith in luck
Reply 15
Original post by KateJ1797
No it doesnt mean that your rejected. If that person was covering the actual interviewer they may not have even been prepared that day to conduct your interview and the firmness of their handshake really does not mean a thing.

As for getting questions wrong again that also doesnt mean you won't get the job, if they preferred your attitude and personality over other candidates then they take that into consideration too.

In the last interview I had I wasn't asked why I wanted the job or anything like that, I filled in a questionnaire and they asked for my clothes size for the uniform and I got the job.

They'll let you know within a given time, and most companies allow you to phone up and ask how you could improve in future ect if you were unsuccessful. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your response.

The person covering for the interview didn't ask a lot of questions. He only asked quite a few questions, but then again it could be that it was short notice and he didn't have much time to prepare.

However, the person did ask me how I would like to be called.
It is a dream job and I told the interviewer in the end.

He asked me if I applied to other jobs or if I had other interviews coming up... Is this a good or bad sign?

In my opinion, there is no "good" or "bad" thing in interviews when they ask questions. As long as you're honest and well prepared.

To be fair, I've only experience two interviews but the questions they asked were rather similar; from the basic "Why our company?" to the "Do you have any other interviews/offers?" etc. The questions are just typical questions which almost every interview will ask.

I doubt employers will be throwing hints art whether you've got the job or not, especially since they can't really make decisions on the spot without seeing every candidate and then taking time to asses through which is the best person.

So like most of the posters here, just stop worrying. Don't think about whether you've got the job or not, keep doing your best and searching for jobs until you've secured a job.

Quick Reply

Latest