The Student Room Group

intergation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arieisit
Maybe instead of being condescending you should direct her to some sort of youtube video or website explaining it :unimpressed:

I realise that you have not been party to the lengthy conversation I have had with the poster via PM
Original post by TenOfThem
I realise that you have not been party to the lengthy conversation I have had with the poster via PM

Obviously...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by tify60
how to differentiate ?

If you don't know how to differentiate then you need to go away and investigate some resources that will explain that to you - either a book or an internet resource - prior to tackling this sort of question.

(Technically you could do the first part without differentiating if you know how to complete the square, but in order to find out the area later on you will need to integrate, and if you haven't covered differentiation yet then I suspect you'll struggle with that part too!)

Spoiler

Isn't it against TSR policy to post full solutions in help sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Waffelmeister
That's how I'd do it anyway...

Please don't post full solutions - it's against the rules of the forum!

(In this case I suspect your "explanation" won't mean a lot to the OP as he doesn't appear to have come across differentiation anyway :smile: )
Original post by davros
Please don't post full solutions - it's against the rules of the forum!

(In this case I suspect your "explanation" won't mean a lot to the OP as he doesn't appear to have come across differentiation anyway :smile: )

Really? My bad then. I'll take it down then. Also I resent the use of "s. :tongue: Nothing wrong with it. :colondollar:
Reply 26

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed (as I've just pointed out).

I don't think it will do any harm here though, since it appears from the OP's contributions so far that he hasn't covered differentiation (and I suspect he'll be even more confused by some of the notation in the "solution" given) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my apologies, I was unaware of that. I've taken it down. :smile:
Original post by davros
Indeed (as I've just pointed out).

I don't think it will do any harm here though, since it appears from the OP's contributions so far that he hasn't covered differentiation (and I suspect he'll be even more confused by some of the notation in the "solution" given) :smile:

Hey, that's how the French do maths. Works for me. :cool:
Reply 29
. Also I resent the use of "s. :tongue: Nothing wrong with it. :colondollar:

Nothing wrong with it in the technical sense - the problem is that because you've just written down a sequence of symbols without any accompanying explanation of why you're doing what you're doing, it's only going to be helpful to someone who already understands the basic method and just needs a cross-check. It looks very much from the OP's previous posts as if he won't actually follow your solution, but we'll see :biggrin:
Original post by davros
Nothing wrong with it in the technical sense - the problem is that because you've just written down a sequence of symbols without any accompanying explanation of why you're doing what you're doing, it's only going to be helpful to someone who already understands the basic method and just needs a cross-check. It looks very much from the OP's previous posts as if he won't actually follow your solution, but we'll see :biggrin:

But that's the boring (although I will admit helpful) bit! Really I should never have ventured onto this bit of the TSR. Oh well, no worries, OP can check answers with it later if he's in a position to later. :smile:

Teach me more about your French ways. I'm eager to learn.
Original post by Khallil
Teach me more about your French ways. I'm eager to learn.

For me to do that I'd have to know the UK ways, now I would've thought that they were quite similar although going by the reactions here I guess they're maybe not. The French way probably involves more wine drinking and beret wearing, but that's just my personal experience. :tongue:

Does anyone know if OP has succeeded? I feel I should be trying to help...

Fedora tipping too. What were the other members reacting to?
Original post by brianeverit
Minimum p[oint is at x=a2x=\frac{a}{2} which givesyou the value of a, then using this in the equation and putting y=-4 will give b.

I don't understand how you got x= a/2???
For me to do that I'd have to know the UK ways, now I would've thought that they were quite similar although going by the reactions here I guess they're maybe not. The French way probably involves more wine drinking and beret wearing, but that's just my personal experience. :tongue:

Does anyone know if OP has succeeded? I feel I should be trying to help...

Je savais pas il y avait une manière française de faire les mathématiques :tongue:
Reply 36

I thought it involved being locked in a prison cell, writing down lots of maths feverishly and then getting shot in a duel.

And I think the OP has gone away to learn about differentiation :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Je savais pas il y avait une manière française de faire les mathématiques :tongue:

Yeah I thought the symbols, notations and methods were pretty much universal but apparently not. :eek:

Original post by davros
I thought it involved being locked in a prison cell, writing down lots of maths feverishly and then getting shot in a duel.

And I think the OP has gone away to learn about differentiation :smile:

Ah, well you see that's the 'classes preparatoires' you've got there. *shudders* :tongue:

Well that sounds like a fun couple of hours for OP...
Original post by x.Staaarrrrr.x
I don't understand how you got x= a/2???

y=ax2axb=(xa2)2a24by=ax^2-ax-b=(x-\frac{a}{2})^2-\frac{a^2}{4}-b by completing the square.
so y obviously has its minimum value when xa2=0    x=a2x-\frac{a}{2}=0 \implies x=\frac{a}{2}
Merci Beacoup! Vous avez compétences excellent!

Bonsoir!

Quick Reply

Latest