The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missfats
We are African :biggrin:
And on what basis are we black?
Any evidence? Or is it just because we are dark skin? If so then, the native aboriginals and small minorities of India are all black (by your logic).

Don't tell other people to educate themselves...
Race is not based on "colour of skin". :facepalm:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Who said anything about the colour of skin? It seems like you equate race with skin colour.

Some Somalis are mixed if you look back but essentially we are black and not "other/anomaly" like you said in the other post. It seems like people have the perception that West African features are the poster child for how all black people should look like when that's not the case. Are you one of those Somalis that use features and hair as an argument of how you're not black?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by SophiaLDN
Who said anything about the colour of skin? It seems like you equate race with skin colour.

Somalis are mixed if you look back but essentially we are black and not "other/anomaly" like you said in the other post. It seems like people have the perception that West African features are the poster child for how all black people should look like when that's not the case. Are you one of those Somalis that use features and hair as an argument of how you're not black?

race is based on your genetics.
When referring to "Blacks", biologically we are talking about those of sub-saharan backgrounds. (check wiki).

Somalis only have 5% of sub saharan blood (e1b1b1'a')= not black. we have 77% of our own indigenous blood (e3b/e1b1b1'b') thus we are somali. :wink:

in terms of features, we are Caucasian because IT doesn't mean 'white' (before you tell me we are not white) but it means features such as slim nose, soft hair... scientists class as "Caucasian" for features but we are our own biological group.

"Genetic studies conclude that Somalis and their fellow Ethiopian and Eritrean Northeast African populations represent a UNIQUE and DISTINCT biological group on the continent"
Posted from TSR Mobile

Some Somalis are mixed if you look back but essentially we are black and not "other/anomaly" like you said in the other post. It seems like people have the perception that West African features are the poster child for how all black people should look like when that's not the case. Are you one of those Somalis that use features and hair as an argument of how you're not black?

Could not have said it better.

They think Bantu=Black but other black groups such as west African fula people who look similar to somali's.

The black race is diverse.
Reply 183
Original post by ridwan12
Could not have said it better.

They think Bantu=Black but other black groups such as west African fula people who look similar to somali's.

The black race is diverse.

fulani people are not ethically sub saharan (west African), they migrated from N-EA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fulani people are not ethically sub saharan (west African), they migrated from N-EA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point is still valid though.

THANK YOU. This is one of my pet hates, when people assume that all black people must look the same, and therefore insist that Somalis aren't black because we don't look like the typical "black" person. Do all white people look the same? No. They have a variety of different features. Black people are no different.
Reply 186
My point is still valid though.

you said "black= doesn't equal bantu"

that's why you see "west African fulani" looking like somali... I debunked your point because they are NEA, so it doesn't matter, they are not bantu.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Original post by themorninglight
THANK YOU. This is one of my pet hates, when people assume that all black people must look the same, and therefore insist that Somalis aren't black because we don't look like the typical "black" person. Do all white people look the same? No. They have a variety of different features. Black people are no different.

the fact you are trying to argue DNA is hilarious...
yet you haven't debunked my point? just :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
the fact you are trying to argue DNA is hilarious...
yet you haven't debunked my point? just :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

?

What are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
you said "black= doesn't equal bantu"

that's why you see "west African fulani" looking like somali... I debunked your point because they are NEA, so it doesn't matter, they are not bantu.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Proof
Reply 191
Original post by themorninglight
?

What are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you keep insisting that somalis are black.

where is your proof? DNA disagrees with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
race is based on your genetics.
When referring to "Blacks", biologically we are talking about those of sub-saharan backgrounds. (check wiki).

Somalis only have 5% of sub saharan blood (e1b1b1'a')= not black. we have 77% of our own indigenous blood (e3b/e1b1b1'b') thus we are somali. :wink:

in terms of features, we are Caucasian because IT doesn't mean 'white' (before you tell me we are not white) but it means features such as slim nose, soft hair... scientists class as "Caucasian" for features but we are our own biological group.

"Genetic studies conclude that Somalis and their fellow Ethiopian and Eritrean Northeast African populations represent a UNIQUE and DISTINCT biological group on the continent"
Posted from TSR Mobile

Somalis, Ethiopians & Eritreans are of the same people mixed with Egyptian and what have you. If we have 77% of our own indigenous blood and are from the East of Africa, our land, you still don't consider yourself black? I'm curious, what do you fill out in forms? Do you actually tell people you are "other"? Nobody is 100% "pure".

Ok Caucasian doesn't mean white but you can't tell me we have Caucasian features, come on. If we are our own biological group then those features aren't exclusive to Caucasians only. (I think we agree on this point anyway) There are also Somali people who don't have "soft" hair and are not another affiliate but ARE somali.

In this day & age, we are black & Somali. :smile: If you were alive hundreds of years ago, you could probably get away with that. We can't go back to how much percent we have of this and that. If everyone did that, they would be mixed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Somalis, Ethiopians & Eritreans are of the same people mixed with Egyptian and what have you. If we have 77% of our own indigenous blood and are from the East of Africa, our land, you still don't consider yourself black? I'm curious, what do you fill out in forms? Do you actually tell people you are "other"? Nobody is 100% "pure".

Ok Caucasian doesn't mean white but you can't tell me we have Caucasian features, come on. If we are our own biological group then those features aren't exclusive to Caucasians only. (I think we agree on this point anyway) There are also Somali people who don't have "soft" hair and are not another affiliate but ARE somali.

In this day & age, we are black & Somali. We can't go back to how much percent we have of this and that. If everyone did that, they would be mixed race.

Who did we mix with? arabs doubt it as only a handful came to seek refuge at the time of the prophet. Clear distinctions seen between groups like reer hamar who are known to be mixed and look different.

No somali has soft hair they dench it with oil, and brush it all day :L

Why exclude ourselves from other black populations, when we have arabs looking down at us.

Also we don't have a Caucasian nose, and have big lips a Negroid feature.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 194

In this day & age, we are black & Somali. We can't go back to how much percent we have of this and that. If everyone did that, they would be mixed race.

Firstly, we are not "mixed" with Egyptian but our dna resembled the ancient Egyptians. This is why there is difference amongst people as to where the "land of punt" was (ancient Egyptian land) and if we are actually those people.

I think "indigenous" was the incorrect term because our DNA e1b1b is found in only Moroccans (60-80%), Ethiopian (50-80%) , Tunisian (60%), Balkans including greeks (35%) and azeki jews (25%).

Just because we are African doesn't mean we are black. Somalis live in East Africa but that doesn't we are black.
by your logic, Moroccans and algerians are black because they are in africa :lol:
Yet no-one said we are pure :facepalm:

No we do not agree on this point, I think you don't understand what "race is". Race is determined by DNA aswell as features. We have Caucasian features thus we are classed.
e1b1b was the last migration of genes from Europe to Africa, thus we are Caucasian by scientific terms but geneticists have said "WE ARE A UNIQUE BIOLOGICAL GROUP". Thus we can only call ourselves somali or African not WHITE/BLACK.

gosh. Scientists do not classify us as of the negroid race because we don't have their features nor do we have any significant blood with them. :s-smilie:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Who did we mix with? arabs doubt it as only a handful came to seek refuge at the time of the prophet. Clear distinctions seen between groups like reer hamar who are known to be mixed and look different.

Why exclude ourselves from other black populations, when we have arabs looking down at us.

Some people are mixed with other but im not talking about the entire Somali people. To my knowledge I read some where during trading and such. Regardless, we are Somali and not a result of mixing.

We are not arab. Ive said this in my other posts. My argument is that we are black.

Most Somalis do have soft hair naturally without having to dagaal with oil all day :biggrin:, I dont know about you though.

Our body shape is also of the negroid feature too.
Reply 196

Are you saying we have a negroid nose?
I'm sure we don't but a Caucasian nose (slim...)
Some somalis have big lips because of negroid blood. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people are mixed with other but im not talking about the entire Somali people. To my knowledge I read some where during trading and such. Regardless, we are Somali and not a result of mixing.

We are not arab. Ive said this in my other posts. My argument is that we are black.

Most Somalis do have soft hair naturally without having to dagaal with oil all day :biggrin:, I dont know about you though.

Our body shape is also of the negroid feature too.

Well depends what you mean by soft, when I mean soft i'm talking about wavy with lack of texure/kinks. I have wavy but frizzy hair so it doesn't feel soft; and my hair frizz to a flat afro shape when it is a few inches long.

I agree somali's have the same body shape of nilotic and maasai people, with the slim but tall physique and rather long necks :L
I don't think any of you have met the entire Somali population to be able to comment on what their hair is like or what shape their noses are. Khalas I think we should just leave this debate now okay :biggrin:
Firstly, we are not "mixed" with Egyptian but our dna resembled the ancient Egyptians. This is why there is difference amongst people as to where the "land of punt" was (ancient Egyptian land) and if we are actually those people.

I think "indigenous" was the incorrect term because our DNA e1b1b is found in only Moroccans (60-80%), Ethiopian (50-80%) , Tunisian (60%), Balkans including greeks (35%) and azeki jews (25%).

Just because we are African doesn't mean we are black. Somalis live in East Africa but that doesn't we are black.
by your logic, Moroccans and algerians are black because they are in africa :lol:
Yet no-one said we are pure :facepalm:

No we do not agree on this point, I think you don't understand what "race is". Race is determined by DNA aswell as features. We have Caucasian features thus we are classed.
e1b1b was the last migration of genes from Europe to Africa, thus we are Caucasian by scientific terms but geneticists have said "WE ARE A UNIQUE BIOLOGICAL GROUP". Thus we can only call ourselves somali or African not WHITE/BLACK.

gosh. Scientists do not classify us as of the negroid race because we don't have their features nor do we have any significant blood with them. :s-smilie:
Posted from TSR Mobile

When I said Egyptians again, I wasn't talking about DNA and not the majority anyway. To my knowledge Somalis and Egyptians mixed during trading (not on a wide variety that would even make a difference let alone an impact) and share many similarities according to linguists and historians but that wasn't my point anyway. So what are you then? You cant say other or list the percent of other countries. Again, not all Somalis have soft hair or small noses.

We also share the same body type as the negroid race, whats your point? It seems like you want to list every percentage and feature then say we are unique to the point that we are not black at all. Just like the Belgians used to do with the Hutis & Tutsis and measuring their noses to differentiate them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending