The Student Room Group

A-Level French

Hi, is anyone doing A-Level French who is currently online? I'm thinking of buying a lever arch file for each of my subjects.

Do you think I'll need one for French, really? I mean, I've been considering how I'd split the file up with dividers. I can only think of having different topics i.e. drugs, education etc. on different dividers. But I don't think there'll be enough work to do this plus the topic areas or quite vague.

What would you do? Or what have you done?
Original post by rileyj
Hi, is anyone doing A-Level French who is currently online? I'm thinking of buying a lever arch file for each of my subjects.

Do you think I'll need one for French, really? I mean, I've been considering how I'd split the file up with dividers. I can only think of having different topics i.e. drugs, education etc. on different dividers. But I don't think there'll be enough work to do this plus the topic areas or quite vague.

What would you do? Or what have you done?

Hi :smile:

I did AS German last year (currently starting A2), and we follow a similar syllabus.

Personally I found folder dividers very useful. We studied four topics each split into three sub-topics, and my ring binder (didn't need a lever arch as there wasn't enough content to quite justify the extra price and annoyingly-large size of one) contained a folder divider for each of the four topics, with the work under the three sub-titles in each in separate plastic wallets. It's also useful to have a separate folder for work you do this year that's not AS specific - such as vocab and articles you've read online for extra reading.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Hi :smile:

I did AS German last year (currently starting A2), and we follow a similar syllabus.

Personally I found folder dividers very useful. We studied four topics each split into three sub-topics, and my ring binder (didn't need a lever arch as there wasn't enough content to quite justify the extra price and annoyingly-large size of one) contained a folder divider for each of the four topics, with the work under the three sub-titles in each in separate plastic wallets. It's also useful to have a separate folder for work you do this year that's not AS specific - such as vocab and articles you've read online for extra reading.

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks for the reply!

this is the overview of the topics:

the only way I could imagine dividing it is by having 1 section for general stuff, as you said, and then 2 more for leisure&lifestyle and the individual&society?
Original post by rileyj
thanks for the reply!

this is the overview of the topics:

the only way I could imagine dividing it is by having 1 section for general stuff, as you said, and then 2 more for leisure&lifestyle and the individual&society?

Ooh, it's unusual that they're grouped them into just two topics. The ones we studied were Life & Style (Exercise, smoking/alcohol/drugs/eating disorders, holidays), Relationships (friendship, family, love/marriage/parenthood), Media (TV, advertising, computers/newspapers/video games) and Popular Culture (Cinema, Music, Fashion/the celebrity cult/image). I think the best thing would be to talk to your teachers, or maybe just wait and see what suits you best personally when you get further into the course :smile:
Reply 4
Ooh, it's unusual that they're grouped them into just two topics. The ones we studied were Life & Style (Exercise, smoking/alcohol/drugs/eating disorders, holidays), Relationships (friendship, family, love/marriage/parenthood), Media (TV, advertising, computers/newspapers/video games) and Popular Culture (Cinema, Music, Fashion/the celebrity cult/image). I think the best thing would be to talk to your teachers, or maybe just wait and see what suits you best personally when you get further into the course :smile:

okay thanks very much, what other subjects did you take? just wondering
Original post by rileyj
okay thanks very much, what other subjects did you take? just wondering

Maths, Geography and History :smile: What are you going to be taking?
Reply 6
I do A-level French and I did definitely need my lever arch file this year. I just used dividers to split it into different topics, grammar, homework and exam stuff/past paper questions.
Reply 7
Maths, Geography and History :smile: What are you going to be taking?

Ooh great combination :smile: Apart from French: English Literature, Human Biology and Psychology. I'm 99% sure that I'm gonna drop eng lit at AS haha
Original post by Toriar
I do A-level French and I did definitely need my lever arch file this year. I just used dividers to split it into different topics, grammar, homework and exam stuff/past paper questions.

so there is a lot of things which need storing i.e. paper? thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by rileyj
Ooh great combination :smile: Apart from French: English Literature, Human Biology and Psychology. I'm 99% sure that I'm gonna drop eng lit at AS haha

so there is a lot of things which need storing i.e. paper? thank you!

Well I guess it all depends on your sixth form but at mine, they gave us booklets for each topic and we also had to do a lot of writing outside of that, so I definitely needed some storage.
Reply 9
Original post by Toriar
Well I guess it all depends on your sixth form but at mine, they gave us booklets for each topic and we also had to do a lot of writing outside of that, so I definitely needed some storage.

okay thank you. would you recommend getting getting an 80mm lever arch file:

or an average ring binder?:
Reply 10
Original post by rileyj
-
Definitely lever arch :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest