The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meus
Does anyone have ideas or suggestions for those starting their first job this September? Classroom displays, transitional activities, equipment and general tips?

Take time once a month to think about theory. It's so easy to get swept up in data, report writing, IEPs, etcetc. It's important to take time to reflect back on what you learnt in training and how this impacts on your overall vision for education, and how you're progressing towards this.

I personally go to a club once a month at my uni which helps me do this, but you could keep a journal, reflect on a moment of learning, read some articles online etc etc. Just make sure you do something to keep you thinking about the big picture!

xxx
Hi,

I am starting my pgce primary at greenwich in September. Has anyone got any tips? I obviously realise you have to be organised and motivated but im stressing about the workload.

Thanks.

Stacie
Original post by Stacie Simmons93
Hi,

I am starting my pgce primary at greenwich in September. Has anyone got any tips? I obviously realise you have to be organised and motivated but im stressing about the workload.

Thanks.

Stacie

Enjoy the summer! That's my first advice. Don't worry about doing any reading/research before the course starts as you really don't need to.

If you can, find a school which you can easily travel to do that. It makes such a difference to your whole mentality and attitude to the job/course. Even if you can save 20-30 minutes in the morning, it is massive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back to being observed every single lesson. Feels weird after qualifying...
Anyone else in the same situation?
Original post by lantan

How do you mean? Are you still training?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any advice for those who are starting their PGCE this September?

Thanks in advance😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, what are you all going to do about union membership for your NQT year? Have you taken up the £1 offer or will you wait till the end of the year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just joined ATL with whatever offer they gave me - I like their CPD opportunities so just stuck with them.
Original post by lantan

Who is observing you? Seems odd after you've qualified...
Original post by pgce2013
Hi, what are you all going to do about union membership for your NQT year? Have you taken up the £1 offer or will you wait till the end of the year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've upgraded with ATL. Free for the upcoming academic year and then half price in 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
How do you mean? Are you still training?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I achieved QTS a month ago...
Original post by TraineeLynsey

The whole of my department on a rotation basis.
Went to my new school today and got my timetable etc... I get my own classroom!! Yay :biggrin:

Welcome to the world of full time teaching. It never ends. Teaching is a spectator sport. Everybody gets observed, all the time. Internal professional development, preparation for ofsted, visiting students, it never ends. Our head drops in all the time to anybody and everybody. Visiting parents on tours. Departmental reviews. I hate it, even after 30 years.
Only just home after induction evening for the new year 7s. Shattered!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Welcome to the world of full time teaching. It never ends. Teaching is a spectator sport. Everybody gets observed, all the time. Internal professional development, preparation for ofsted, visiting students, it never ends. Our head drops in all the time to anybody and everybody. Visiting parents on tours. Departmental reviews. I hate it, even after 30 years.

Of course, and I understand that, but the OP seemed to imply he's being observed a lot on an official basis...
Of course, and I understand that, but the OP seemed to imply he's being observed a lot on an official basis...

Well, once you are employed, being observed by whoever is given the job of doing it is doing it on an official basis. It's no longer the university who's doing it, but during your NQT year you have to be observed by whoever is in charge of doing all the paperwork for that. And even after your NQT year, the observations are part of the official system of appraisal. It never ends.
Original post by pgce2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've upgraded my student membership to full membership with NUT.
Well, once you are employed, being observed by whoever is given the job of doing it is doing it on an official basis. It's no longer the university who's doing it, but during your NQT year you have to be observed by whoever is in charge of doing all the paperwork for that. And even after your NQT year, the observations are part of the official system of appraisal. It never ends.

Yes, but not every lesson, as the poster suggested.

Every term, half term etc I understand, but it sounds like in this case it's happening every lesson all of a sudden....

Oh, I know about that. It's just feels weird having someone in EVERY lesson again. Feels like I'm back in my first day of teacher training.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending