The Student Room Group

Is it just me who thinks Pirlo/Scholes are Overrated?

Scroll to see replies

They're hyped up because it's very rare you find a footballer who was amazing vision and can pass the ball like they can. That skill is invaluable in modern football
Original post by Kenan and Kel
No. But do you honestly believe Scholes wasn't half as good as Zidane?

Hard to quantify but what is certain is that Zidane was a once in a generation player, absolutely influential, inspirational and complete in every sense.

Ive seen Scholes play a few times and never felt like I was watching a player I'd be telling my grandkids about. In all honesty Roy Keane was better.
Original post by matthewduncan
scholes has never ever been able impose himself or dominate the game like xavi and iniesta have.

You must be on something. Scholes had the ability to rip apart opposition with a single pass, even without it being a final ball, and he pulled it off with consistency that I haven't seen since - multiple times a game I'd say. When that wasn't happening, the ball was still almost always moving at scholes' pace, never losing it; or he was scoring an absolute cracker. Absolutely controlled games in the latter stages of his career.

That's certainly a quality that Scholes cannot be questioned on.
Scholes was never the star player in any team he played in. Harsh but true.
Zidane was the star player in every team he played in. Fact.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Zidane was the star player in every team he played in. Fact.

Ronaldo?

I'm genuinely asking as I don't know.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Ronaldo?

Ronaldo joined after Zidane did so even if we say he was, Zidane was still the star player when he signed for Madrid, thus the star player in every team he played in.

Strikers who failed as strikers so were forced to play in midfield: Alan Smith, Paul Scholes.
Ronaldo joined after Zidane did so even if we say he was, Zidane was still the star player when he signed for Madrid, thus the star player in every team he played in.

Strikers who failed as strikers so were forced to play in midfield: Alan Smith, Paul Scholes.

Fair enough.

Lol you're probably trolling with that but anyway it doesn't mean anything. Ashley Cole was a striker, doesn't mean he wasn't an amazing left back.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Ronaldo?

nah, Ronaldo was another Galactico who was glitzy but Zidane was always the man driving those Real Madrid teams, absolutely fundamental to them whereas Raul was always there to replace Ronaldo.

I saw Real Madrid live at Higbury in 2006 when they needed to win, and you always felt that if something was going to happen it would be through Zidane.

Ronaldo wasnt that big a success at RM in all honesty, never won the CL and had a few barren spells too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Midfielders who failed in midfield for England so were forced to play out wide: Jermaine Jenas, Paul Scholes.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
You must be on something. Scholes had the ability to rip apart opposition with a single pass, even without it being a final ball, and he pulled it off with consistency that I haven't seen since - multiple times a game I'd say. When that wasn't happening, the ball was still almost always moving at scholes' pace, never losing it; or he was scoring an absolute cracker. Absolutely controlled games in the latter stages of his career.

That's certainly a quality that Scholes cannot be questioned on.

Yes but not like xavi or iniesta.
Theres absolutely no shame admitting hes great but not that great. As i said he never reached those heights.Hes not far behind mind you but none the less hes still behind.
Im a united fan saying this btw but xavi has been a dominant force in not one but two teams whilst in their prime many consider the greatest of all time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Michael Owen - 1
Paul Scholes - 0
Original post by MrKappa
Pirlo has been very overrated the past couple of seasons...as Costa Rica showed, if you close him down and don't give him any time/space, he offers absolutely nothing.

But that can be said about practically every player. Costa Rica did very well to close him down, and that is what limited his effectiveness, England did next to nothing to deal with him so he controlled midfield. If you stifle Messi (like Switzerland did well for 118 minutes) or Ronaldo (like Germany did) you'd hardly notice them.
Stifled Messi so much he set up the winning goal.

#Stifled
Stifled Messi so much he set up the winning goal.

#Stifled

That's why I said stifled for 118 minutes when he set up Di Maria to score. Behrami and Inler were all over him for most of the match, until Argentina counterattacked at the end.
Original post by matthewduncan
Yes but not like xavi or iniesta.
Theres absolutely no shame admitting hes great but not that great. As i said he never reached those heights.Hes not far behind mind you but none the less hes still behind.
Im a united fan saying this btw but xavi has been a dominant force in not one but two teams whilst in their prime many consider the greatest of all time.

However he only started being mentioned as one of the best in the world from 2008, which is when Barca and Spain started setting up in a way that suited him perfectly. Scholes has never had that, which is why I put them at the same level.
scholes is overrated but not pirlo.
Reply 57
From this thread, it seems like xavi and iniesta are the overrated ones
Original post by h3isenberg
But that can be said about practically every player. Costa Rica did very well to close him down, and that is what limited his effectiveness, England did next to nothing to deal with him so he controlled midfield. If you stifle Messi (like Switzerland did well for 118 minutes) or Ronaldo (like Germany did) you'd hardly notice them.

He didn't control anything vs England he was ****

Love it when people come out with this *******s
Reply 59
I've never seen Scholes in his prime, but he's highly though of.

Pirlo though, is one of the finest on his day.

Quick Reply

Latest