The Student Room Group

I don't want anything else

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImABigOldTurd
At GCSE I got 2A 10A*.

I want pre-clin/clin split. Not london unis because the city's too expensive. not cambridge because I don't like the place.

oxford because I fell in love with it, as i said. St John's because i fell in love with it, as i said. It's right next to the medical sciences teaching centre also. It has a really sick powerlifting style gym. The accommodation wasn't too expensive but it was spacious and a nice style.

What you said about elements in other places. I did quite like Emma at cambridge but it didn't have the same atmosphere.

Oxford had a really nice atmosphere and the students doing tours were all consistently really friendly and sociable. the ones at cambridge were all weird.

surely i don't need more reason than that. please don't be so negative

These strike me as insufficient reasons to only apply to Oxford, and pretty stupid reasons to pick any university, to be honest.
I want to do medicine when I leave school. I went to the Oxford open day and absolutely fell in love with the place and the university, namely St John's/Wadham (St John's I prefer I think). I also wanted a pre-clin/clin split.
I sort of feel now that everywhere else is going to be second place to oxford (I went to cambridge open day and didn't really like it) and that it's the only place I want to go.

Would it therefore be unwise to forget about UKCAT and just do BMAT? I reckon even if I were to do UKCAT and get 3 offers and oxford rejection I wouldn't go to university; instead I'd wait till the next year.

I'm thinking of putting in 4 BMAT applications, even though I'm not interested in the other 3 places.

The two big gambles are going to be whether or not AS results are good enough. I think my exams went really well overall so this isn't a massive concern. The other gamble is making an application before I get the BMAT result.

Could anyone offer any advice or arguments I haven't made?
Cheers x

The BMAT in itself is a gamble, as you know your results after you've applied.

You'd want to apply to 1, 2 at best, because if you mess up (As I did), you'll lose a chunk of your application in a click.

As others have already advised regarding standards by law etc, Oxford may be great, but it's not the be all. By all means apply for it, but what's the point to applying to 4 on a gamble?
Play to your strengths.
Original post by Pectorac
No perceived prestige but you said undoubtedly going to Oxford makes somebody a better doctor. You are never going to be a doctor. Your attitude stinks and you're too immature to be left in charge of sick people.

you're calling me immature :biggrin:
you're calling me immature :biggrin:

I'm just stating the obvious. You are never going to be a doctor because you are not grown-up enough and you cannot see anything except your tainted point of view.
Was it wrong of me to assume that it goes unsaid that Oxford will make you a better doctor?
Don't imply I'll **** up just because you did.

"Why do you want to study here"
"'cos it will make me a better doctor"

Oh dear!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Pectorac
I'm just stating the obvious. You are never going to be a doctor because you are not grown-up enough and you cannot see anything except your tainted point of view.

I know some doctors and they're pretty immature ... they manage fine with sick people, just offend them a bit :tongue:
You're basically relying solely on the BMAT which is definitely not a good idea. People can prepare for months for the BMAT and completely fail it on the day. You might not, and congrats if you don't, but you have to consider that if that one exam goes wrong, your whole application is over in a flash. I know what it's like to be caught up in Oxford's charm. I thought very similarly to you in that once I'd seen Oxford I didn't think anywhere would match up. However now I'm studying Med at a different uni and I really couldn't be happier because I'm doing something I absolutely love. If you really truly want to study Medicine, then you'll do anything in your power to get there, including applying to your strengths. By all means apply to Oxford, but be prepared to compromise. If you can't compromise then perhaps you could apply to a different course at Oxford.
Original post by nohomo
I know some doctors and they're pretty immature ... they manage fine with sick people, just offend them a bit :tongue:

Offending patients is malpractice and will get them struck off eventually.
Why not take the UKCAT and see how you do? If you do great, you might consider applying to another university that considers UKCAT because it'll boost your chance of an offer. How you do in the BMAT is unpredictable... you could study for it harder than anything before but still fail it.

I'm a medical student and i was over the moon with 1 offer. It doesn't sound like you've looked into other choices. You might like Oxford, but in 2013 the number of applications per place for medicine was 11.2. Up from 10.6 in 2012, and 8.9 in 2008! If you really want to study medicine and become a doctor, it won't matter hugely where you go. You'd go anywhere and do anything to get in. Medicine is too competitive to put all of your hopes on one uni.
I want to do medicine when I leave school. I went to the Oxford open day and absolutely fell in love with the place and the university....
.....I reckon even if I were to do UKCAT and get 3 offers and oxford rejection I wouldn't go to university; instead I'd wait till the next year.

Oh Dear!
Reply 30
You do realise academics only mean a certain amount in medicine/dentistry/vet med courses? I got A*A*A and a high UKCAT score and got one offer for dentistry, I'd love to see you in an MMI interview or be asked ethical questions - you'd crash and burn. Its the same reason you hear people applying for these course with A*A*A*A* and getting no offers and yet people who miss their AAA and get AAB still get in. Its because academics are not all they're looking for.
Reply 31
I saw Emily Ratajowski on that Blurred Lines video and I absolutely fell in love with her. I've made up my mind that she's going to marry me.

I kind of feel that anyone else now is going to be second place.

Any comments? I'll basically tell you how I'm right and you're wrong, though.
Original post by Clip
I saw Emily Ratajowski on that Blurred Lines video and I absolutely fell in love with her. I've made up my mind that she's going to marry me.

Comment of the day!
Was it wrong of me to assume that it goes unsaid that Oxford will make you a better doctor?

Uncool.

Just apply to Oxford only.
Tailor your personal statement to Oxford only.
See if you get in.
Reply 34

wow, this is not professional behaviour at all.
Reply 35
At GCSE I got 2A 10A*.

I want pre-clin/clin split. Not london unis because the city's too expensive. not cambridge because I don't like the place.

oxford because I fell in love with it, as i said. St John's because i fell in love with it, as i said. It's right next to the medical sciences teaching centre also. It has a really sick powerlifting style gym. The accommodation wasn't too expensive but it was spacious and a nice style.

What you said about elements in other places. I did quite like Emma at cambridge but it didn't have the same atmosphere.

Oxford had a really nice atmosphere and the students doing tours were all consistently really friendly and sociable. the ones at cambridge were all weird.

I don't think you should be getting so confident yet.

According to admission stats on the Oxford website :

The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8.4; this rose to 10.1 for those short-listed and 10.4 for those applicants made offers.
The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.79; this rose to 0.93 for those short-listed and 0.95 for those applicants made offers.

You have only 10A*s at GCSE and a proportion of 0.83 so you are statically unlikely to receive an offer.

Don't make the same mistake I made. I only did the BMAT, applied for cambridge, ucl and imperial as well as Liverpool. Scored 6.8, 6.1, 2A and got rejected from ucl, imperial and Liverpool without interview. Luckily for me cambridge gave me an offer Cos of my strong section 1&2. You may not be so lucky
Reply 36
Why don't you listen to these people?! O_O

There is no better resource then people that had the experience.

I want to do medicine (and become a surgeon) so badly but I don't do chemistry and I can only apply to 2 universities for foundation years, which the odds are really low that I get a place. But then someone cleverly insisted I should do physiology and go the long way into medicine.
Reply 37
Original post by Clip

It's Ratajkowski you uncultured swine. :colonhash:

I had to Google her, I feel so old
There is nothing wrong with choosing a university because you fell in love with it on an open day - I bet most people wouldn't be questioning your decision if it had been e.g. Newcastle - as long as it is a realistic prospect and you do also like the course on further examination.

Oxford is a realistic prospect for you, so there's no reason not to apply there. BUT there are no guarantees you will get in, and you would be extremely foolish to risk your entire application on one university, if medicine is what you really want to do. Likewise, applying to three BMAT universities (I don't think there are four you can apply to in one UCAS cycle, as you can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge?) would be a highly risky strategy.

If you really only want to go to Oxford, then you can just apply there and leave all your other choices blank - I think you get a bit of a reduction in the application fee if you only apply to one. Then if you didn't get in this year, you could think again and apply next year with grades in hand to more universities. If you actually want to do medicine and be a doctor, then I think you need to get over yourself a bit and think about a more realistic application strategy.
At GCSE I got 2A 10A*.

That's a poor reason - there's gonna be as many weird kids at Cambridge as there are at Oxford. You just picked a small sample pool. You can't be picky when it comes to med schools, do you actually want to be a doctor? Or do you just want to go to Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending