The Student Room Group

Worst Accents?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
I like all Northern accents except Liverpool :smile:

Scouse was voted second worst accent:wink:
Original post by Tomsta
Ok so seeing as there is a "Sexist Accents" topic (of which i've posted in), i thought i'd go the other way and create one for the worst accents or "Turn off Accents"

Me:

German
Russian
Typical American
Redneck American
Greek
Ukraine

As you can see most of them (for me at least) are mainly very punchy, sharp sometimes angry languages, i've always said that even if you're complimenting someone in German, it sounds like you're insulting them cos of the brutality of the words compared to those of Italian, French or Spanish

I love German though… I think you just have to get used to it though :smile:
The people from Hanover sound really sophisticated and well educated in my opinion and the accent from the Ruhr sounds so motherly…:smile:

But you do have to listen to some German for a while, then it sounds nice in English.
Original post by qewrtyu
Scouse was voted second worst accent:wink:

I seriously don't get how brummy can be worst :frown:

Also what most people think is a 'Birmingham' accent is actually a black country accent.
Reply 103
A Essex (ironically i'm actually from Essex) and London accent annoy me as well
Brummy is whiny and makes the people speaking the accent sound quite dumb (obviously regardless of how intelligent they actually are)
Reply 105

Also what most people think is a 'Birmingham' accent is actually a black country accent.

this is true!
i have the black country accent and along with dialect it is hideous but obviously I love it because, you know, it's how I speak

I'd say Geordies have the worst accents.
I don't like most accents from Northern England. Liverpool and Newcastle are the worst. I also don't like Scottish or Irish accents.

Most foreign accents sound attractive to me.
Original post by rileyj
this is true!
i have the black country accent and along with dialect it is hideous but obviously I love it because, you know, it's how I speak

I'd say Geordies have the worst accents.

I love the black country dialect! :biggrin:
Scottish is great for swearing.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Cockney and really thick Nigerian

Original post by Another
Nigerian grates my ears usually, but it sounds nice on some people

Liverpudlian however, drives me up the bloody walls. That, and whatever Stacey Dooley is.

Yooooo don't hate! That's one half of my ethnicity you're one about lol.
:lol:

I'd say the Australian accent really gets on my nerves.
Original post by Tomsta
Ok so seeing as there is a "Sexist Accents" topic (of which i've posted in), i thought i'd go the other way and create one for the worst accents or "Turn off Accents"

Me:

German
Russian
Typical American
Redneck American
Greek
Ukraine

As you can see most of them (for me at least) are mainly very punchy, sharp sometimes angry languages, i've always said that even if you're complimenting someone in German, it sounds like you're insulting them cos of the brutality of the words compared to those of Italian, French or Spanish

French. Absolutely cant stand the accent.
Welsh and Chinese just sound comical.
Dont mind the aussie accent, they sound tidy.
So much hate for Northern accents. Especially the Scouse accent. :ashamed2: I may reconsider my decision to decline the offer from my parents of elocution lessons.

As you know most people don't know what a Brummy accent is and are just jumping on the bandwagon. Is Jamelia's accent horrible?

As for worst accent, the Manc one makes women sounds like blokes lol.
Original post by Wilfred Little
As you know most people don't know what a Brummy accent is and are just jumping on the bandwagon. Is Jamelia's accent horrible?

As for worst accent, the Manc one makes women sounds like blokes lol.

Or cat deelys for that matter.
Essex and South African.

Or I live near Great Yarmouth in Norfolk and some of the pronunciation of words is shocking. It will sometimes take me a good few seconds to register what a chavy local is trying to say!
Scottish
Russian
Cockney
Irish
(sorry :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geordie or Brummie. Anything from the north, really. But not Scottish, they're cool.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Yooooo don't hate! That's one half of my ethnicity you're one about lol.
:lol:

One half of mine alike! I must say though my perception may be tainted by the absolute cows of Nigerians that I've met in the past. The one's I've met in university though (literally... one) have been lovely.
Cantonese or Mandarin/Putonghua accent. :rofl3:

Quick Reply

Latest