The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for a Masters (2014)?

Pretty much all the deadlines I have seen state August 1st. Do you think it is worth applying this year or waiting a year? I have everything ready (personal statement/transcripts), just need references - which shouldn't take more than a few days.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some of the more popular courses might be at capacity by now, but if the webpage for your course says it's still accepting applications, then that's the way it is.

You certainly have nothing to lose if you have the funds in place to start this September.
Reply 2
Original post by Feartheunknown
Pretty much all the deadlines I have seen state August 1st. Do you think it is worth applying this year or waiting a year? I have everything ready (personal statement/transcripts), just need references - which shouldn't take more than a few days.

Which master's are you thinking about going for?
Original post by Kasa
Which master's are you thinking about going for?

Masters linked to molecular biology research (neurosciences, immunology, microbiology etc.)
Reply 4
Masters linked to molecular biology research (neurosciences, immunology, microbiology etc.)

Where?

I did a Biomedical degree and i can tell that leaving it to the last minute is not wise..
Original post by Klix88
Some of the more popular courses might be at capacity by now, but if the webpage for your course says it's still accepting applications, then that's the way it is.

You certainly have nothing to lose if you have the funds in place to start this September.

The websites don't state whether there are any remaining places.. I have emailed some tutors regarding this. But I'm kind of hoping that if you have a decent applications universities will take you on as this is a substantial way universities get money - if I'm not mistaken.
Original post by Kasa
Where?

I did a Biomedical degree and i can tell that leaving it to the last minute is not wise..

You did a masters in biomedical sciences? What are your experiences? Im applying for around London, where did you study biomedical sciences?

Not late at all, I applied for mine 2 years at the end of July and our course had a healthy amount of people on it too. If you meet all of the requirements and they have room on the course, you'll be fine. Write a good application, they're way more lenient at MSc level for your application than they are during the whole UCAS bachelors degree application.
Reply 8
You did a masters in biomedical sciences? What are your experiences? Im applying for around London, where did you study biomedical sciences?

No I did an undergraduates in Biomedical sciences.

I had many mates who graduated on to do a master's in molecular biology..
Imperial has a masters course in immunology and in molecular biology of viruses; both indicate they are still accepting applications for 2014 start. It might be worth emailing the course admin to confirm this is still the case. References must be supplied direct from referees via an online portal, so that's often the slowest part of the process. Good luck.
Original post by xenophile
Imperial has a masters course in immunology and in molecular biology of viruses; both indicate they are still accepting applications for 2014 start. It might be worth emailing the course admin to confirm this is still the case. References must be supplied direct from referees via an online portal, so that's often the slowest part of the process. Good luck.

Thanks! That's a good idea!
If you just want to go anywhere, you can still apply. But all the good schools would have their good programmes filled up already.
Its not too late to apply - but your chances of getting any funding at this stage in the year are next to zero.
You'd be much better off getting a relevant job and applying from October for 2015 entry - most funding schemes close around January.
Original post by clh_hilary
If you just want to go anywhere, you can still apply. But all the good schools would have their good programmes filled up already.

This isn't true.

Original post by returnmigrant
Its not too late to apply - but your chances of getting any funding at this stage in the year are next to zero.
You'd be much better off getting a relevant job and applying from October for 2015 entry - most funding schemes close around January.

I agree. As you don't seem certain about which area of molecular biology you want to research (which, frankly, is pretty important!) it may be worth taking a year out to carve out research ideas, make some money, get some work experience, and apply for all the funding opportunities.
Original post by maskofsanity
This isn't true.

It only isn't if you define 'goodness' very liberally. Which good programme from which good school hasn't been filled up? All Oxbridge programmes, as far as I know, have deadlines months before now.
If you are self-funded most Universities will accept an application up to the enrolment date - including Oxbridge. Early deadlines are set so they can get what they think is the pick of the crop - it doesn't mean that all places dry up at that point. Many funding opportunities close between January and April, but some are still available. See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2551148

PS. Oxbridge is not the benchmark by which to judge all Universities. I think you need to get out more.
(edited 9 years ago)
It only isn't if you define 'goodness' very liberally. Which good programme from which good school hasn't been filled up? All Oxbridge programmes, as far as I know, have deadlines months before now.

There are several programs in your department still open. Or do you believe only the three MSc Education tracks that are closed are good and the three still open aren't?
Original post by roaringlamb
There are several programs in your department still open. Or do you believe only the three MSc Education tracks that are closed are good and the three still open aren't?

They probably just didn't update it. The 'deadlines' have all been passed, and as far as the dictionaries are concerned, it should mean you cannot apply for it any more.
Because you cannot find any evidence to support your claim? That's right.

As the OP has already noted, there are lots of universities that do not close until July 31st/August 1st (and even then they are only formally closed and will still consider you if there are spaces, which more often than not there are for taught masters). Examples in London (where the OP wants to apply) include UCL, Imperial, and KCL.

To conclude, OP, listen to the previous advice from returnmigrant and I - wait for next year for funding.
Original post by maskofsanity
As the OP has already noted, there are lots of universities that do not close until July 31st/August 1st (and even then they are only formally closed and will still consider you if there are spaces, which more often than not there are for taught masters). Examples in London (where the OP wants to apply) include UCL, Imperial, and KCL.

To conclude, OP, listen to the previous advice from returnmigrant and I - wait for next year for funding.

That doesn't change the fact that their better programmes have been filled up...'Better' in this context draws from competitiveness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending