The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economicsuon
No offence but you have absolutely no idea what I will and will not be able to do? Silly comment.

I don't know what you will do but I know what you will not be able to do in IB. And that's having time-consuming activities outside work.
Original post by Juichiro
I don't know what you will do but I know what you will not be able to do in IB. And that's having time-consuming activities outside work.

So you're saying no one in IB has a family. Right...
Original post by will2348
People do make family work in IB. Yes it's hard but it is do-able. A lot of people leave IB anyway to start a family with a huge savings account and going into a high paid job with less hours they wouldn't have been able to get otherwise. Seems like a pretty good deal from where I'm sitting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does reproducing and having your partner taking care of a child while you spend incredibly low amounts of time with them counts as "making family work" or "doable"?

Making a family after IB sounds like a plan but will leaving an IB job get you a "high paid" job? You might just end up jobless or with a badly paid job. That seems more likely to be the case in these times of employment scarcity and workforce abundance.
So you're saying no one in IB has a family. Right...

I am not saying no one in IB has a family. I am saying that no one working in IB has time to spend with his family (excluding holidays).
I am not saying no one in IB has a family. I am saying that no one working in IB has time to spend with his family (excluding holidays).

I agree with that but I wont be working in IB until I'm 65...
I agree with that but I wont be working in IB until I'm 65...

I would love to examine the health records of people working in IB until his 50s. :tongue:
I would love to examine the health records of people working in IB until his 50s. :tongue:

Again, you're assuming I'll be there until I'm 50 :smile: I love people like you who just make assumptions like that...
Again, you're assuming I'll be there until I'm 50 :smile: I love people like you who just make assumptions like that...

I am not assuming that you will be there until your 50s. I assume that there are people that are (or have been there) until their 50s.
I am not assuming that you will be there until your 50s. I assume that there are people that are (or have been there) until their 50s.

Correct
Does reproducing and having your partner taking care of a child while you spend incredibly low amounts of time with them counts as "making family work" or "doable"?

Making a family after IB sounds like a plan but will leaving an IB job get you a "high paid" job? You might just end up jobless or with a badly paid job. That seems more likely to be the case in these times of employment scarcity and workforce abundance.

I accept your point about employment scarcity and workforce abundance. But that's exactly why IBers are more employable than everyone else and more sought after. It is actually the opposite of what you've said, it ends up being an advantage. In times of employment scarcity and workforce abundance, employers want the best and that's exactly what IBs have and what causes salaries to go extremely inflated.

You can spend weekends with your family at a more senior level. Sure you might have to spend a few hours in the early morning and late evening working plus a few phone calls but most of the day you can spend with them.

Since you're interested in IB health at 50, take a look at this: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204062704577223623824944472
£35k starting; £75-80k by the time I'm 30.
Original post by will2348
I accept your point about employment scarcity and workforce abundance. But that's exactly why IBers are more employable than everyone else and more sought after. It is actually the opposite of what you've said, it ends up being an advantage. In times of employment scarcity and workforce abundance, employers want the best and that's exactly what IBs have and what causes salaries to go extremely inflated.

You can spend weekends with your family at a more senior level. Sure you might have to spend a few hours in the early morning and late evening working plus a few phone calls but most of the day you can spend with them.

Since you're interested in IB health at 50, take a look at this: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204062704577223623824944472

Even if you become more employable, you are paying it with far more than just your blood and sweat. Is Heaven worth a hellish pain? I guess the answer to that question distinguishes those who get into IB and those don't. The link is extremely interesting.
Even if you become more employable, you are paying it with far more than just your blood and sweat. Is Heaven worth a hellish pain? I guess the answer to that question distinguishes those who get into IB and those don't. The link is extremely interesting.

To me, yes.

But people working in IB generally have similar traits anyway that impact them:

- Upbringing (either very poor that motivates them or very wealthy that pressures them)
- Insecure (most people in IB are insecure by nature and therefore feel a constant need to prove themselves)
- Over-ambitious (most people in IB find it the only job that can contain their ambition)

If you had to simplify it down, that would be it. ^
Accounting -£80,000 +
Stockbroker - £25,000 +
Reply 314
Original post by AyanaRulesz
Anyone else here want to model? :smile:

Lets see a picture then :wink:
Reply 315
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Cute how people are actually getting excited and look forward to making 20-30k, apparently not knowing that they'll lead a pretty miserable life with that, especially living in London.

30k is very good for someone who has only themself to look after and remember that these people are getting this salary right out of university, it is going to go up over their career. you expecting to earn a 100K a year right of the bat? :wink:
Reply 316
Original post by slg60
30k is very good for someone who has only themself to look after and remember that these people are getting this salary right out of university, it is going to go up over their career. you expecting to earn a 100K a year right of the bat? :wink:

Who said it was their starting salary...? Certainly not the OP...
Reply 317
Original post by Quady
Who said it was their starting salary...? Certainly not the OP...

Lots of people have said "that after they graduate..."
I hope upwards of £40,000 . . . I really don't know, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slg60
30k is very good for someone who has only themself to look after [...] you expecting to earn a 100K a year right of the bat? :wink:

I simply disagree, particularly in London. People just have no idea what living well costs these days.

And no, 100k is pretty much impossible to achieve, but would aim for 40k+.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending