The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missfats
Are you saying we have a negroid nose?
I'm sure we don't but a Caucasian nose (slim...)
Some somalis have big lips because of negroid blood. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not caucasian either, other groups like:

Maasai

Tigray

Nilotic

etc

All Somali's have big lips compared to thin Caucasian lips.

Another things is Somali's have a large percentage of slow twitch muscle fibres genetic to east Africa. Yes their has been a mix of genes but not enough to change the whole gene pool.
Original post by ridwan12
Well depends what you mean by soft, when I mean soft i'm talking about wavy with lack of texure/kinks. I have wavy but frizzy hair so it doesn't feel soft; and my hair frizz to a flat afro shape when it is a few inches long.

I agree somali's have the same body shape of nilotic and maasai people, with the slim but tall physique and rather long necks :L

Yeah we all have a different idea to what soft is so that's debatable. I was talking along the lines of easier to manage and not coarse (there are many many somalis who have different hair types). My hair is a mixture of curly and wavy. Anyway, soft isn't even the ideal unless we are talking about western perceptions of beauty.

Yeah, exactly. Also we carry more body fat on the lower half (women) than the upper half and have wider hips and not narrow ones.

Original post by themorninglight
I don't think any of you have met the entire Somali population to be able to comment on what their hair is like or what shape their noses are. Khalas I think we should just leave this debate now okay :biggrin:

Exactly, we were talking about the general perception anyway and I said "most". Me too im actually done, we can go on and on about this all day :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by SophiaLDN
When I said Egyptians again, I wasn't talking about DNA and not the majority anyway. To my knowledge Somalis and Egyptians mixed during trading (not on a wide variety that would even make a difference let alone an impact) and share many similarities according to linguists and historians but that wasn't my point anyway. So what are you then? You cant say other or list the percent of other countries. Again, not all Somalis have soft hair or small noses.

We also share the same body type as the negroid race, whats your point? It seems like you want to list every percentage and feature then say we are unique to the point that we are not black at all. Just like the Belgians used to do with the Hutis & Tutsis and measuring their noses to differentiate them.

wrong, we share linguistics with only cu****ies.

that is because we share 5% OF DNA WITH NEGRIOD? Our bodies come from this.
You need to understand that this is only YDNA, however our mtDNA points out we have 20%+ negroid blood.
But mtdna (maternal) is not reliable for practical genealogy so we use YDNA.
and this states we only have 5% negroid blood (which is quite a bit).
I am somali and African.

Please take a DNA test.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
It's not caucasian either, other groups like:

Maasai

Tigray

Nilotic

etc

All Somali's have big lips compared to thin Caucasian lips.

Another things is Somali's have a large percentage of slow twitch muscle fibres genetic to east Africa. Yes their has been a mix of genes but not enough to change the whole gene pool.

No one said it would change gene pool that's why we are e1b1b 77% (near to pure).
we Somalis are one of the most homogeneous people on the continent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wrong, we share linguistics with only cu****ies.

that is because we share 5% OF DNA WITH NEGRIOD? Our bodies come from this.
You need to understand that this is only YDNA, however our mtDNA points out we have 20%+ negroid blood.
But mtdna (maternal) is not reliable for practical genealogy so we use YDNA.
and this states we only have 5% negroid blood (which is quite a bit).
I am somali and African.

Please take a DNA test.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Somali and African yes but somali is not a race but an ethnicity...
As I said.. Somali's are either black or mixed-race. Goes without say for most most east/west african countries Nigerians/Ugandans/Ethiopians/Somalis/Kenyans/Tanzanians etc.. are all pretty much Black.
Reply 206
Somali and African yes but somali is not a race but an ethnicity...

black isn't a race either :lol:
the three races are:
caucasian
negriod
Mongolid

we are classed as caucasian ( and no caucasian doesn't mean white ffs).
bantu are negriod.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Original post by SophiaLDN
Somalis, Ethiopians & Eritreans are of the same people mixed with Egyptian and what have you. If we have 77% of our own indigenous blood and are from the East of Africa, our land, you still don't consider yourself black? I'm curious, what do you fill out in forms? Do you actually tell people you are "other"? Nobody is 100% "pure".

Ok Caucasian doesn't mean white but you can't tell me we have Caucasian features, come on. If we are our own biological group then those features aren't exclusive to Caucasians only. (I think we agree on this point anyway) There are also Somali people who don't have "soft" hair and are not another affiliate but ARE somali.

In this day & age, we are black & Somali. :smile: If you were alive hundreds of years ago, you could probably get away with that. We can't go back to how much percent we have of this and that. If everyone did that, they would be mixed.

i've got to say i dont think i would class somalis as black.

in regards to race the old categories were
caucasoid = eurasian (from india to england)
africanoid = north africans such as berber/tuareg
mongoloid = from native americans, indonesians all the way to turkmen.
australoid = like people from papua new guinea and aboriginal australians
negroid = west, central and south africans.
further proposition was made to separate negroid into congoid and capoid
with congoid being your typical west and central african and capoid being bushmen/khoisan

there was also preposition for a race with dark skin and straight hair that would include aboriginals, dravidian (south india) and north east africans.

north east africans would be classed sociologically now days as afro-asiatics. indeed this is what the nation of islam believes "true" black people are.

but all those "race" categories are all old and outdated because race which was a science has been disapproved and its all about "ethnicity" now. which just means foreign or pagan in greek.

but i would argue the term black comes from slavery. slave traders and plantation owners didnt care if you were zulu or igbo. all the same. all black. as a result with parents and children being separated and forced breeding all the west africans lost their original cultures and then eventually the only thing connecting them was the fact that they were black.
not only this but mixed race and light skin slaves were also considered black due to the one drop slave rule.

so people from north east africa were never really involved in the american slave colonies or at least so little that barely any genes exist. so they never really gave any culture influence like the igbo yoruba or akkan did which you can see evidenced in maroons or gullahs. nor did they give any phenotype features or genes. in fact as someone mentioned "bantu" were brought to somalia as slaves and the afro asiatics saw black people as worthy as slaves as the whites.

so i would only really use the term black for people of mixed african colonial new world background like united states, brazilians, hatians, jamaicans etc...

but thats just me.
i understand somalis saying theyre black in europe because at a clench when white people look at you they'll guess black more than anything. unless your one of the lighter skinned araby haile selassie-esque looking somalis. and certainly i my school i saw more social mixing between jamaicans and somalis (despite tension and arguments) than i ever saw somalis mixing with pakistanis (who funnily enough they would often go to the same mosque with) or maybe its because black people have more cultural popularity. like people enjoy going to black events its social. no one really wants to go to an pakistani rave. its not nice but its true.

so i guess its somalis choosing black identity not out patriotism and black power but more cause whites see them that when and blacks are cooler than arabs.

but when i hear somalis say they are black theres always a bit of doubt there n theres not that full security. it seems that their black by result in europe and that its not really their true identity. more like black by convenience than by desire. i find its not so much the case with people from somaliland but thats cause they often quite clearly have more "black" features than southern/italian somalis.

but i've heard arguments that anyone that is not white is "black"
or that even jews or irish are "black" because their "oppressed" peoples like the african. but thats all sociological theory mumbo jumbo and i think most people take it with a pinch of salt.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 208
Original post by Abdul-Karim
As I said.. Somali's are either black or mixed-race. Goes without say for most most east/west african countries Nigerians/Ugandans/Ethiopians/Somalis/Kenyans/Tanzanians etc.. are all pretty much Black.

bantu= ugandans, kenyans, and tanzanians.
non-bantu = Somalia, and Ethiopia (oromos).

why is hard for people to understand this? What is even black lol? jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by fojodef
i've got to say i dont think i would class somalis as black.

in regards to race the old categories were
caucasoid = eurasian (from india to england)
africanoid = north africans such as berber/tuareg
mongoloid = from native americans, indonesians all the way to turkmen.
australoid = like people from papua new guinea and aboriginal australians
negroid = west, central and south africans.
further proposition was made to separate negroid into congoid and capoid
with congoid being your typical west and central african and capoid being bushmen/khoisan

there was also preposition for a race with dark skin and straight hair that would include aboriginals, dravidian (south india) and north east africans.

north east africans would be classed sociologically now days as afro-asiatics. indeed this is what the nation of islam believes "true" black people are.

but all those "race" categories are all old and outdated because race which was a science has been disapproved and its all about "ethnicity" now. which just means foreign or pagan in greek.

but i would argue the term black comes from slavery. slave traders and plantation owners didnt care if you were zulu or igbo. all the same. all black. as a result with parents and children being separated and forced breeding all the west africans lost their original cultures and then eventually the only thing connecting them was the fact that they were black.
not only this but mixed race and light skin slaves were also considered black due to the one drop slave rule.

so people from north east africa were never really involved in the american slave colonies or at least so little that barely any genes exist. so they never really gave any culture influence like the igbo yoruba or akkan did which you can see evidenced in maroons or gullahs. nor did they give any phenotype features or genes. in fact as someone mentioned "bantu" were brought to somalia as slaves and the afro asiatics saw black people as worthy as slaves as the whites.

so i would only really use the term black for people of mixed african colonial new world background like united states, brazilians, hatians, jamaicans etc...

but thats just me.
i understand somalis saying theyre black in europe because at a clench when white people look at you they'll guess black more than anything. unless your one of the lighter skinned araby haile selassie-esque looking somalis. and certainly i my school i saw more social mixing between jamaicans and somalis (despite tension and arguments) than i ever saw somalis mixing with pakistanis (who funnily enough they would often go to the same mosque with) or maybe its because black people have more cultural popularity. like people enjoy going to black events its social. no one really wants to go to an pakistani rave. its not nice but its true.

so i guess its somalis choosing black identity not out patriotism and black power but more cause whites see them that when and blacks are cooler than arabs.

but when i hear somalis say they are black theres always a bit of doubt there n theres not that full security. it seems that their black by result in europe and that its not really their true identity. more like black by convenience than by desire. i find its not so much the case with people from somaliland but thats cause they often quite clearly have more "black" features than southern/italian somalis.

but i've heard arguments that anyone that is not white is "black"
or that even jews or irish are "black" because their "oppressed" peoples like the african. but thats all sociological theory mumbo jumbo and i think most people take it with a pinch of salt.

PRSOM.

except if scientists say that races are outdated then we are only somali.

thank you. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
bantu= ugandans, kenyans, and tanzanians.
non-bantu = Somalia, and Ethiopia (oromos).

why is hard for people to understand this? What is even black lol? jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The term 'Bantu' is not universally recognised.

It's like me saying Tanzanians are not Black because we call ourselves 'white+2' but in reality we're black.
Reply 211

It's like me saying Tanzanians are not Black because we call ourselves 'white+2' but in reality we're black.

bantu or sub saharan... no difference.

Tanzanians are full negroids (95%), you are bantu/sub saharan. You can't claim "White" :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Black = hard hair, wide nose, dark skin
Reply 213
Original post by wat a wizard
Black = hard hair, wide nose, dark skin

Lool astagfirulla.

somalis are dark 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 214

bantu is actually a language classification

so tanzanians are bantu by somali slang definition being that you're more black looking than somali looking and also buy academic language classification.
Lool astagfirulla.

somalis are dark 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak for yourself
Who did we mix with? arabs doubt it as only a handful came to seek refuge at the time of the prophet. Clear distinctions seen between groups like reer hamar who are known to be mixed and look different.

No somali has soft hair they dench it with oil, and brush it all day :L

Why exclude ourselves from other black populations, when we have arabs looking down at us.

Also we don't have a Caucasian nose, and have big lips a Negroid feature.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool how can u say no somali has soft hair :laugh:
Reply 217
Basically us somalis are from China, debate over

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you guys heard about the twin somali girls that went to join ISIS?
Reply 219
Original post by StyleIcon
Have you guys heard about the twin somali girls that went to join ISIS?

From Manchester? Yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending