The Student Room Group

University courses

Really undecided what i want to do at University. I want to do Geography, like really want to, but i feel like i wont get the grades, so then would do primary education and come out with a QTS. really dont know what to do!!! Help??
I'm not entirely sure what you're problem is.. do you want to do Geography as a degree and then a PGCE and become a teacher, or are you trying to decide if you want to take an Undergraduate Geography degree or a Primary Education degree with QTS? Either way, I'll give you advice in both circumstances.

First of all, do not go into teaching if you do not love it. Honestly, I know you think it's easier, but I promise you teaching primary education requires complete devotion, long nights marking, and total organisation around you life. It's not a job where you clock out at 3pm and hey-ho off you go; it's very demanding, but if you love it, it's all worth it. Have you had any work experience in Primary Schools? Do you know if it's a job you'd love?

Either way though, it sounds like Geography is your passion, and it's down to your personal beliefs that you won't achieve the grades you want. I would recommend asking your teachers, parents, mentors etc on their opinion on your dilemma. I feel like you should do Geography at University, because you LOVE it. I would say you almost alwaysdo better in subjects that you love rather in subjects you sort of are interested in. You can do it, you can achieve those grades, it's just down to self confidence.

If you are interested in Primary, and you actually do love it, why not do a Geography degree and then a PGCE? That way you can teach! :smile:

P.S: By the way, sorry if I misinterpreted your question, but if you're still worried I'm happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaaNoeel
I'm not entirely sure what you're problem is.. do you want to do Geography as a degree and then a PGCE and become a teacher, or are you trying to decide if you want to take an Undergraduate Geography degree or a Primary Education degree with QTS? Either way, I'll give you advice in both circumstances.

First of all, do not go into teaching if you do not love it. Honestly, I know you think it's easier, but I promise you teaching primary education requires complete devotion, long nights marking, and total organisation around you life. It's not a job where you clock out at 3pm and hey-ho off you go; it's very demanding, but if you love it, it's all worth it. Have you had any work experience in Primary Schools? Do you know if it's a job you'd love?

Either way though, it sounds like Geography is your passion, and it's down to your personal beliefs that you won't achieve the grades you want. I would recommend asking your teachers, parents, mentors etc on their opinion on your dilemma. I feel like you should do Geography at University, because you LOVE it. I would say you almost alwaysdo better in subjects that you love rather in subjects you sort of are interested in. You can do it, you can achieve those grades, it's just down to self confidence.

If you are interested in Primary, and you actually do love it, why not do a Geography degree and then a PGCE? That way you can teach! :smile:

P.S: By the way, sorry if I misinterpreted your question, but if you're still worried I'm happy to help :smile:

Thank you for replying, and the great advice.
its mainly down to my grades. at sixth form, we are writting our personal statements, and they want them done by monday, so i kinda need to decide. i am going forwards with geography, but the thing is, if i dont get the grades, i wont get in a uni. If i get the grades, i will do geography, then a PGCE in primary school.
I have been doing an afternoon a week in my primary for the past year, so im trying to get experience, and i teach swimming, which has made me want to do it even more. i can imagine theres a lot of work, as my sister is a secondry school teacher and she's pilled with work.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, but thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by Alice Moody
Thank you for replying, and the great advice.
its mainly down to my grades. at sixth form, we are writting our personal statements, and they want them done by monday, so i kinda need to decide. i am going forwards with geography, but the thing is, if i dont get the grades, i wont get in a uni. If i get the grades, i will do geography, then a PGCE in primary school.
I have been doing an afternoon a week in my primary for the past year, so im trying to get experience, and i teach swimming, which has made me want to do it even more. i can imagine theres a lot of work, as my sister is a secondry school teacher and she's pilled with work.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, but thank you for your advice :smile:

Hi there! My advice to you would be to think about whether a gap year would be feasible for you. By then you'd know your grades and not have to worry about what you might receive, and then you can plan from there! If so, you could also apply to some universities and if you don't get the necessary grades you can apply again to different places the next year!
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte Goss
Hi there! My advice to you would be to think about whether a gap year would be feasible for you. By then you'd know your grades and not have to worry about what you might receive, and then you can plan from there! If so, you could also apply to some universities and if you don't get the necessary grades you can apply again to different places the next year!

Thank you. i have decided to go forward with geography for the time being. if i get a bad grade in geography this year, i will apply for primary teaching :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending