The Student Room Group

Ask a Sri lankan girl anything!

Scroll to see replies

Are you Tamil or Sinhalese?
Original post by Slk4ever
It's our cast+our name+the place we come from.

ah right interesting, is it compulsory for all Srilankans? If so, why?
Reply 22
Original post by kdizzle97
Are you Tamil or Sinhalese?

Tamil
Reply 23
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
ah right interesting, is it compulsory for all Srilankans? If so, why?

For all Sri lankan tamils yeah because most of us are Hindus,even the Christian converts have longue familly names due to their parents being Hindus.
For all Sri lankan tamils yeah because most of us are Hindus,even the Christian converts have longue familly names due to their parents being Hindus.

ah ok so it only apply to Srilankans and not Hindus in India or elsewhere?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
ah ok but why don't Hindus in India have long names?

This is because you see the Hindus in India are not the natives,this is the reason why we left India in the first place.Because after the aryan invasion most of Dravidian Indian and Aryan Indian did interracial most of them are mixed race,who follow a corrupt form of hinduism the one with the cast system...
Reply 26
Bump!
Reply 27
Bump!
I'll be honest

Buddhist/Muslim/Christian/Hindu

select one form the above?

also Sinhalese or Tamil?
Reply 29
Original post by tazza ma razza
Buddhist/Muslim/Christian/Hindu

select one form the above?

also Sinhalese or Tamil?

Tamil/Hindu but I do have some catholics in my family.
Reply 30
Original post by MeeranB
OMG I'm tamil too c: HI!

Vanakam
Reply 31
Original post by MeeranB
I never learnt tamil though :c, I know vanakam is hello though!
I was born in the UK, but both my parents are from sri lanka

I was born In France both of my parents are Sri lankans ,and I can speak Tamil fluently,I don't know why but in the UK Tamil are whitewashed,like most of them are ashamed of their origins,while in France,we can speak both Tamil and French fluently,don't you speak in Tamil with your parents?
Reply 32
Original post by MeeranB
It's not that I'm ashamed! It's that I went to a boarding school n stuff and I never got the opportunity to learn! I may learn in the future though :smile:

You don't need to go to school just speak tamil with your parents/friends or watch Tamil movies :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by MeeranB
I don't have any tamil friends! :frown:, and how can I talk it with my parents if I don't know any to begin with ._.

O my god I feel so sorry for you,when I was in France,I first learned Tamil than French all my friends were nearly all Tamil.How do you communicate with your relatives in Sri lanka lol?
Reply 34
Original post by MeeranB
I don't really talk to them much ._.

Are you the kind of tamil gir that only like white guys?

Why don't you talk to your relatives?
Reply 35
Original post by MeeranB
I'm a guy!! xD, and I don't know, I just never really developed much of a relationship with them. Also, I'd love some tamil/sinhalese friends, but I just haven't had the opportunity to find any, there weren't any at my college/school.

Oh yeah sorry bro xd ,since I left France ,there are no Sri lankan Tamils in my area so I know how you feel^^,.
I was born In France both of my parents are Sri lankans ,and I can speak Tamil fluently,I don't know why but in the UK Tamil are whitewashed,like most of them are ashamed of their origins,while in France,we can speak both Tamil and French fluently,don't you speak in Tamil with your parents?

Hey...tamil here too!
Just to say we're not "whitewashed"...I speak tamil and it's the language I learned first! Depending on where you live, there are SO many tamil schools full of tamil speaking kids!! I think tamils integrated quite well in the UK as well (not to say we didn't in other places) but I hate it when immigrants form a tight knit group in a specific area and only go around speaking in their own language. So just to say I wouldnt call it "whitewashed!"
Reply 37
Original post by tealover96
Hey...tamil here too!
Just to say we're not "whitewashed"...I speak tamil and it's the language I learned first! Depending on where you live, there are SO many tamil schools full of tamil speaking kids!! I think tamils integrated quite well in the UK as well (not to say we didn't in other places) but I hate it when immigrants form a tight knit group in a specific area and only go around speaking in their own language. So just to say I wouldnt call it "whitewashed!"

A OK Sri lankan tamils are well integrated everywhere in the world,we are 'refereed as economical immigrants in Canada'.

You hate it???Everyone is like that we are better within our own people.

When I was in France I used to speak Tamil with my Tamil friends like that people could not understand what we were saying,same in England but I can speak both French and English.
What do you think about this guy Slk4ever
Reply 39
I used to interact with graduate Tamil students from London . Most of them can speak Tamil with English words....

They speak Tanglish loooooooooooooool

Quick Reply

Latest