The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Think Seb Coe on this one, 3 world records in 41 days and Olympic titles in the strongest era for athletics generally, also achieved a lot after his career is over ( I know some on the poll can't have done this as they're still competing though to be fair :tongue:)
Reply 21
Steve Redgrave anyone?

I would also say Ali.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's on sporting merit alone, Ali is no where near a top 10 let alone number 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by CB91
If it's on sporting merit alone, Ali is no where near a top 10 let alone number 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. He'd still be top 10 though I agree he wouldn't be number 1. But all. Factors considered he is by far and large the greatest sportsman of all time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
I disagree. He'd still be top 10 though I agree he wouldn't be number 1. But all. Factors considered he is by far and large the greatest sportsman of all time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt even put him in the Top 5 boxers of all time, nvm all sportsmen.

When you take into account his impact outside of the ring then yeah he'd be Top 5.
Reply 25
Original post by CB91

When you take into account his impact outside of the ring then yeah he'd be Top 5.

Agree wrt his impact outside the ring boosting his status but out of curiosity which would be your top 5 boxers? I'm only aware of 1960+ so can't comment on anyone before that so that's why I'm asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CB91

Yeah "sportsman" is slightly ambiguous but I meant it to be based on ability alone so 'athlete' is probably the better word.
Surprised you didn't include Don Bradman, considering his achievement is probably the greatest out of any sport, ever.
Original post by FKLW
Agree wrt his impact outside the ring boosting his status but out of curiosity which would be your top 5 boxers? I'm only aware of 1960+ so can't comment on anyone before that so that's why I'm asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive not really watched much pre 50's except Sugar Ray Robinson and Dempsey but in no order; SRRobinson, Duran, Whittaker, Mayweather, Pacquaio. Theres not really much between those 5 and Monzon, Hagler, Hearns, Chavez, SRLeonard and Ali tho tbh. Id love to put Roy Jones Jr in there, he was probably the most naturally gifted fighter ever but he fought bums for 99% of his career.

Id say hes definitely Top 3 ever in the Heavyweights, probably number 1 really. Imo Lennox Lewis had the tools to take apart any Heavyweight in history but he was in a poor era.
Freddie Flintoff!!!!!!!!!!!
Boxer and cricketer hey. Won us the memorable Ashes!!!

Bobby Moore- Seriously, Leading England(out of all teams) to winning the World Cup is not easy! See this times World Cup an you will respect him more.

Oliver Kahn- dunno why but this guy is probably the best goalkeeper IMO and he's pretty underrated and idk why but I respect this guy. Getting a lower than average German team to nearly win the World Cup is just amazing .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by CB91
Ive not really watched much pre 50's except Sugar Ray Robinson and Dempsey but in no order; SRRobinson, Duran, Whittaker, Mayweather, Pacquaio. Theres not really much between those 5 and Monzon, Hagler, Hearns, Chavez, SRLeonard and Ali tho tbh. Id love to put Roy Jones Jr in there, he was probably the most naturally gifted fighter ever but he fought bums for 99% of his career.

Id say hes definitely Top 3 ever in the Heavyweights, probably number 1 really. Imo Lennox Lewis had the tools to take apart any Heavyweight in history but he was in a poor era.

Pacquaio is an interesting choice tbh. I would personally say that Mayweather is the legend but not Manny, I think to gain that status they need to fight and Pacquaio end his unbeaten streak. Also no Tyson? A bit of a **** but watching him was just wow. Honourable mention for Calzaghe, although not a top 5 boxer still a legend of the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fedor Emelianenko
Original post by manchesterunited15
Title.

I voted for usain but it didnt work:P

anyways....

Muhammad ali what a man

he did a very famous interview in ireland...wow it was amazing..he loved it

he travels here now as some of his descendants come clare in ireland:smile:

such a character...really likeable and hes not afraid to be himself
Tiger Woods. At the top for the longest ass time. Played well in almost every tournament he played in. His form dipped after the scandal and his back problems. Still hoping he can get back to the top. A legend in my eyes.
Bradman. No other sportsman was so ahead of every other cricketer. He averaged near 100 when batsmen in those days averaged 30s. And just under twice as much as the guys second to him. I read an article how he was statistically the best sportsman ever.

Can't believe he's not in the poll.

Many are saying Mohammed Ali, whom no doubt was the most influential, but I'm not sure he was a huge amount better than the next best guy when it actually came to the sport. Not the extent of guys like Bradman.

I'm no big fan of running, but it's pretty significant how Bolt has broken the records and seems to be a distance ahead of the next guy (in terms of 100m running time). As well as holding the WR for 200m and in the relay. And when you look at him, it seems as he's running within himself at the end. Even the guys near him, most of them have been involved in drugs, so you're not sure about the authenticity of their speeds, but Usain's clean. It'd be interesting if anyone can break his record after he's retired. If they do, then he'll be considered just another great. If no one can, that'd really be something, he'd be the fastest man who ever lived, and no one can reach those heights again. Whilst in athletics we see that athletes records always seem to be broken, not sure it'll be so easy to break Bolt's 100m record.
Reply 35
Don Bradman: statistically the greatest sportsman ever to have lived. There is a far greater difference between his level of achievement and that of the next cricketer (a Test average of 99.94 compared to 60.97) than between the top two sportsmen in any other sport.

What's more nobody will ever top his achievement, and I'm not sure the same can be said for any other sportsman.
Walter Payton...quite possibly the best running back to ever play Football, but a sportsman who did a lot for raising awareness with organ transplants.

Deacon Jones, Lawrence Taylor and the 'minister of Defense' Reggie White are also up there.

In terms of other sports though, what Federer and Nadal have done for tennis is just spell binding. Phelps and Bolt for their Olympic exploits. Also, Daley Thompson doing the decathlon.
Nice to see so many Don Bradman shout-outs. Definitely deserves to be mentioned amongst the greats.
Reply 38
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Nice to see so many Don Bradman shout-outs. Definitely deserves to be mentioned amongst the greats.

Imran Khan> Bradman

Not srs

Semi-srs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Imran Khan> Bradman

:biggrin:

But no, just stop.

Quick Reply

Latest