The Student Room Group

Should i do chemistry A level?

I'm really unsure whether to take chemistry at a level or not, i'm unsure of my career so i don't know whether i will want to do something medical and need chemistry. I'm also worried about the course itself and how hard it is: i got an a* in core science and a* in additional science and i am awaiting my result for further additional but i've heard people who get the higher grades at gcse drop down to like D's as it's a huge change. I'm also doing History, English Lit and Bio so they are all heavy topics :/ Anyone got any advice?

Scroll to see replies

yeah it's nothing like gcse
chem is tough for most people but it's not impossible
you can't predict whether you're gonna do well on it, you'll just have to take the plunge and put the work in
Original post by Beth_p
I'm really unsure whether to take chemistry at a level or not, i'm unsure of my career so i don't know whether i will want to do something medical and need chemistry. I'm also worried about the course itself and how hard it is: i got an a* in core science and a* in additional science and i am awaiting my result for further additional but i've heard people who get the higher grades at gcse drop down to like D's as it's a huge change. I'm also doing History, English Lit and Bio so they are all heavy topics :/ Anyone got any advice?

Firstly saying people who get high grades at GCSE drop down is just not right. There will be people who struggle to adapt to the level of work required and some of the content but if you get an A* at GCSE you are in a very good situation to be doing A level chemistry. A level chemistry will also compliment A level biology quite nicely (there are a few topics that overlap). Also, doing triple science at GCSE will help you a lot as some of the topics learnt in triple science (especially moles) come up again in the first exam of AS. In my class those who had done triple science at GCSE found the first exam a lot easier than those who hadn't.

If you do chemistry you will open many doors if you suddenly want to do something science based (while 3 science A levels can be preferred for some courses I can't think of a single science base course that doesn't require at least 2 science based A levels). This means if you do that combination of 4 you have a good combination for a range of courses (the arts, sciences, law, medicine maybe for example).

The main question is, do you love chemistry because you really need to enjoy a subject to do it at A level. Also how is your maths? While the maths at A level chemistry isn't that hard you will need to do some basic formula rearranging and manipulating so a good grade at GCSE maths will be very useful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any specific question about the exams and the course :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Munrot07
Firstly saying people who get high grades at GCSE drop down is just not right. There will be people who struggle to adapt to the level of work required and some of the content but if you get an A* at GCSE you are in a very good situation to be doing A level chemistry. A level chemistry will also compliment A level biology quite nicely (there are a few topics that overlap). Also, doing triple science at GCSE will help you a lot as some of the topics learnt in triple science (especially moles) come up again in the first exam of AS. In my class those who had done triple science at GCSE found the first exam a lot easier than those who hadn't.

If you do chemistry you will open many doors if you suddenly want to do something science based (while 3 science A levels can be preferred for some courses I can't think of a single science base course that doesn't require at least 2 science based A levels). This means if you do that combination of 4 you have a good combination for a range of courses (the arts, sciences, law, medicine maybe for example).

The main question is, do you love chemistry because you really need to enjoy a subject to do it at A level. Also how is your maths? While the maths at A level chemistry isn't that hard you will need to do some basic formula rearranging and manipulating so a good grade at GCSE maths will be very useful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any specific question about the exams and the course :smile:

Thank you that is really helpful, it wasn't me who had said they dropped down btw, that's just what I've heard. The thing i find with chemistry is that i am capable of doing it, it's just not my favourite subject as i particularly like writing subjects like History. I've got to the point for my fourth subject it will be a case of elimination as i don't really know what to do: it would be between Geography and Chemistry and i feel chemistry would be more beneficial to me as it can be applied more. My maths is alright, i understood most of the formulas and processes but I'm not an expert at maths. I'm predicted around an A/B at GCSE.
Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by PurpleSquid
yeah it's nothing like gcse
chem is tough for most people but it's not impossible
you can't predict whether you're gonna do well on it, you'll just have to take the plunge and put the work in

Thank you
Invest a few pounds in a book like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Start-Chemistry-CGP-Books/dp/1847621163/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404811368&sr=1-2&keywords=as+chemistry

Does it scare you or do you find it not particularly difficult?

Chemistry is a more useful subject, you can drop it after AS if it doesn't suit.
Take it! If you know you are hard working, take it! The reason why people who got stellar grades at gcse then go on to college to get d/e at a level chemistry is they didn't revise enough. At GCSE you can revise 2 weeks prior an exam but at A level if you do this you're gonna get the shock of your life. It's simply understanding the concept, lots of past papers, and regurgitating information under exam conditions. Admittedly I have found A level biology harder than chemistry due to the ruthless marking of Aqa. Accuracy is essential.
Reply 7
Original post by parentlurker
Invest a few pounds in a book like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Start-Chemistry-CGP-Books/dp/1847621163/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404811368&sr=1-2&keywords=as+chemistry

Does it scare you or do you find it not particularly difficult?

Chemistry is a more useful subject, you can drop it after AS if it doesn't suit.

ah thank you that's really useful, and i think it's the combination of both, once i know the information i'm fine as i just have to remember it
Reply 8
Original post by coldhell
Take it! If you know you are hard working, take it! The reason why people who got stellar grades at gcse then go on to college to get d/e at a level chemistry is they didn't revise enough. At GCSE you can revise 2 weeks prior an exam but at A level if you do this you're gonna get the shock of your life. It's simply understanding the concept, lots of past papers, and regurgitating information under exam conditions. Admittedly I have found A level biology harder than chemistry due to the ruthless marking of Aqa. Accuracy is essential.

Yeah i've heard this a lot from lots of people. I'm one of those people who is revising months before hand as otherwise i can't get it into my system. Thank you
If you think you'll enjoy it, go for it. Personally it was the biggest mistake I made, I only took it as I wanted to be a vet and had no interest in it at all. I actually took it alongside the exact same A levels as you're planning to and I came out with AAB...and an E in Chemistry, but that's because I didn't revise for it as I hated it that much :tongue: it isn't massively difficult at AS, but you do need to work for it if you want a good grade :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you should do something you enjoy, simple :smile: go with what your heart says
Reply 11
Original post by Changing Skies
If you think you'll enjoy it, go for it. Personally it was the biggest mistake I made, I only took it as I wanted to be a vet and had no interest in it at all. I actually took it alongside the exact same A levels as you're planning to and I came out with AAB...and an E in Chemistry, but that's because I didn't revise for it as I hated it that much :tongue: it isn't massively difficult at AS, but you do need to work for it if you want a good grade :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so weird ahah, as that's what i'm considering as i don't know whether i want to be a vet or something medical: although i think you have to have maths for veterinary? Yeah, i don't love chemistry but i think i like it enough to work hard for it.. hopefully! :borat:
Reply 12
Yeah chemistry is awesome!! I hated chem at gcse but needed it for medicine, now I love it! Much prefer it to biol. Its so interesting and you can do so much with the subject because its such a good one to have!! You will have so much fun in experiments, making esters and nylon and azodyes etc.! It isnt an easy course but I found it so much easier to revise than my other subjects
Reply 13
Besides, the workload will be fine. I know people who took the same courses as you and as long as you are sensible youll easily be able to manage it
Original post by Beth_p
That's so weird ahah, as that's what i'm considering as i don't know whether i want to be a vet or something medical: although i think you have to have maths for veterinary? Yeah, i don't love chemistry but i think i like it enough to work hard for it.. hopefully! :borat:

Haha oooh :tongue: don't worry, I don't think you do :smile: biology and chemistry are perfect for most universities, though universities such as Cambridge ask for at least two sciences and maths or three sciences :h: you'll honestly be fine then and shouldn't struggle, especially considering your GCSE grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by CarysE
Yeah chemistry is awesome!! I hated chem at gcse but needed it for medicine, now I love it! Much prefer it to biol. Its so interesting and you can do so much with the subject because its such a good one to have!! You will have so much fun in experiments, making esters and nylon and azodyes etc.! It isnt an easy course but I found it so much easier to revise than my other subjects

ahh cool thanks! :smile:
Original post by Beth_p

I wasn't that fond of Chemistry at GCSE but I did do well in it.

Chemistry has since become my favourite subject and at one point even considered doing a straight chemistry degree!

I would say avoid it if you don't like chemistry, or you absolutely hateeeee doing calculations.

I do think chemistry will open up a lot of doors for you, especially if you are considering doing a sciencey degree because they usually expect you to have 2 sciences
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by letsbehonest
I wasn't that fond of Chemistry at GCSE but I did do well in it.

Chemistry has since become my favourite subject and at one point even considered doing a straight chemistry degree!

I would say avoid it if you don't like chemistry, or you absolutely hateeeee doing calculations.

I do think chemistry will open up a lot of doors for you, especially if you are considering doing a sciencey degree because they usually expect you to have 2 sciences

wow aha, that's good to know! I don't hate calculations or dislike chemistry it's just not the first subject i would choose out of a bunch, my teacher said that some of the content from triple science is in the AS, is this true?
You can do it, easy.

It is a hard A level, no lie.

But I know people who did the same GCSE award as you and got ridiculously good Chemistry grades at AS and A2

just make sure you work hard and end up going through all past papers before your exam
Original post by Beth_p
wow aha, that's good to know! I don't hate calculations or dislike chemistry it's just not the first subject i would choose out of a bunch, my teacher said that some of the content from triple science is in the AS, is this true?

Yeah this is true.

Titration calculations, properties of the periodic table, balancing equations, different types of bonding overlap a bit with GCSE.
I can't really remember what else since I've just finished my A levels and it was so long ago haha :smile:

Tbh, I think chemistry AS really eases you in. I didn't feel a 'jump'.

Latest