The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Economics and Mathematical Sciences degree at OU?

I'm wondering if an economics and mathematical science degree at the OU is highly valued by employers? I'm hoping to become an actuary, as i know economics is an option for this field of work. I hope it is highly valued though because my only option is to study with the OU :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nessa76
I'm wondering if an economics and mathematical science degree at the OU is highly valued by employers? I'm hoping to become an actuary, as i know economics is an option for this field of work. I hope it is highly valued though because my only option is to study with the OU :smile:

OU degrees are highly regarded by employers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
What's an OU degree??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Open university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but how is it different? Apparently they aren't any entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It isn't different, a degree is a degree. I know that some of the degrees offered by the OU are accredited but i wasn't so sure about my course but i'm sure it is highly valued by employers as said above.
Original post by nessa76
It isn't different, a degree is a degree. I know that some of the degrees offered by the OU are accredited but i wasn't so sure about my course but i'm sure it is highly valued by employers as said above.

Ahh I see, I plan on doing economics at surrey/Bristol/kent is your course more valued? Like if I did economics from an open university would it be more valued? A bit confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I wouldn't say at open uni it would be more valued by employers than other uni's (surrey/kent/bristol), i just wanted to know if it was valued by employers because of me studying with the OU.
I'm doing an OU computing degree and don't think it's the same standard of training as you'd get from a "real" university and support is poor. i'd recommend contacting the companies you may want to work for and asking their advice on the best route in. It looks like you can do actuarial exams with just a maths A level, if you're confident that its the career for you and you'd have to do the actuarial exams anyway that might be an easier way in. Good luck it's great that you have a goal.
Reply 9
Thanks but i only got level 2 & level 3 (A level equivalent), not a full A level of maths. I'd rather do a degree though because it'd prepare me better i think because i've heard the actuary exams are hard. The thing is that doing a maths/economics degree it open up other doors other than actuary. Doing an acturial science degree, only allows entry to becoming an actuary.

I'm sure my degree would be highly valued by employers anyway & if i pass the 1st actuarial exam, then that'd demonstrate to an employer that i'm capable along side my degree. I did get told that from the OU that i'd need a 2:1 minimum or a 1st to be an actuary, so i'd have to work hard.

Hope your OU computing degree gets you somewhere though, even if it not the same standard of training as a "real" uni but i'm sure it would/should because there's a thing called STEM (science, technology, engineering & maths) that are in high demand so that gives one hope who is going down those routes. So good luck with your studies anyway.

P.S. I did contact the actuary profession by e-mail but i never got a reply but there is a telephone number i can ring to the acturial profession in london, but its early days anyway so i'll just see where my degree takes me.

always good to be flexible re work these days! just to aware OU grading a 1st at 0U is 85-100% and a 2nd 70-85 (i believe normal universities are 1st 70-85%, 2nd 55-70%)
are there companies who hire actuaries that you could contact - their HR people may be able to give you some guidance as to what's valued in real terms.
Original post by winalotuk
always good to be flexible re work these days! just to aware OU grading a 1st at 0U is 85-100% and a 2nd 70-85 (i believe normal universities are 1st 70-85%, 2nd 55-70%)

It's true that the OU grade boundaries are different (and higher), but the marking is also different. In my brick uni degree the highest mark I ever got was, I think, 82%; and that was jaw-droppingly high. Whereas at the OU I tend to come out in the high 90s, and once got 100% for a TMA - and I didn't suddenly get cleverer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending