The Student Room Group

Bakery refuses to make "gay cake"; faces legal action

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Radicalathiest
Good

the sooner people learn you can't deny someone goods and services because of their sexuality (or in this case your objections to their sexuality) the better

'I think they should be allowed to refuse to make cakes they don't like as long as they don't discriminate against their customers.'

How would that work in practice as refusing someone because you don't like something about them is discriminatory

But this was nothing to do with the customer's sexuality. The bakery still would have refused to make the cake had the patron been straight. What they were against was the political movement supporting gay marriage, not being gay.

I may not agree with the bakery, but the idea that this constituted discrimination against the customer on the basis of his sexuality strikes me as completely flawed.
(edited 9 years ago)
They have to comply with the sales of goods act and the equity act 2000

So no they do not have the right to discriminate because of someones sexuality, quite the opposite in fact.

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_home/discrimination_in_goods_and_services/default.asp

It is hilarious how homosexual politics obsessives love quoting the law now as an authority. They weren't so keen on it being obeyed when the Buggery Act was still in force, were they?
I think as it's not like a chain store and is a independent run bakery, surely they can choose whether they want to serve a customers order or not based on their beliefs in this situation. Like the other poster said, they didn't refuse to bake the couple a cake just because they was gay, they refused to bake it because of the slogan that was requested to be put on the cake. I'm sure if the couple wanted a normal cake without the slogan then that would have been fine.
Original post by tengentoppa
What a joke. it's not that they refused to make a cake for gay people. It's that they refused to endorse a political lobby. It goes against their beliefs, and it could have resulted in a backlash from their community. People keep bringing up what would happen if this was a black person being refused but again, the bakery would be perfectly entitled to refuse to make a cake endorsing the NAACP.

Secondly, why doesn't the customer just get that specific cake from another bakery? It sounds to me like they're just kicking up a fuss for the sake of it.

Kicking up a fuss for the sake of it? Really? They've been denied something that any other person would be allowed based on their sexuality. I know it's just a cake, but it's the principal of it really.
Original post by Reluire
Propaganda? Where is the propaganda?

A Christian-run bakery is facing legal action from a Government agency for refusing to produce a cake carrying a picture of the Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie and the slogan “support gay marriage”.

In my book that is the definition of propaganda.
At least they aren't forcing them to make penis shaped cakes yet as the US Tea Party leader said they would.
That's pretty stupid, if they didn't take the customer's money they have no right to complain. Go get the cake somewhere else, is that so hard?
What if they denied somebody a cake for their mosque or a cake for an equal rights movement? Isn't that discrimination? Isn't it discrimination to deny somebody of something based on their religion, skin colour or sexuality ?
Original post by thesabbath

The world you propose sounds like hell on earth

Yes a world were equality is the norm must sound like hell on earth if you are a bigoted numpty who would choose to discriminate against people because of the race or sexuality

Well thankfully the hell you descibe is coming and your heaven is past it's time
Yes a world were equality is the norm must sound like hell on earth if you are a bigoted numpty who would choose to discriminate against people because of the race or sexuality

Well thankfully the hell you descibe is coming and your heaven is past it's time

You won't get that world, you will get the one I described.
Original post by TurboCretin
But this was nothing to do with the customer's sexuality. The bakery still would have refused to make the cake had the patron been straight. What they were against was the political movement supporting gay marriage, not being gay.

I may not agree with the bakery, but the idea that this constituted discrimination against the customer on the basis of his sexuality strikes me as wholly flawed.

Would you feel the same way if they had wanted the cake with message 'black and proud' and they were refused?
Original post by fortunesfool
Kicking up a fuss for the sake of it? Really? They've been denied something that any other person would be allowed based on their sexuality. I know it's just a cake, but it's the principal of it really.

They weren't denied anything on the basis of their sexuality. They were denied on the basis that the bakery did not want to endorse a political message. If the gay customer had merely asked for a cake, they would not have been refused.
Reply 32
Original post by goldenfish
The bakery is a private business, they should have the right to choose who they decide to make business with.

You also support their right to refuse to serve black people, disabled people, people who wear mixed fibres and farmers who plant two species of crop next to each other?
Original post by thesabbath
You won't get that world, you will get the one I described.

Odd the law shows you to be wrong

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_home/discrimination_in_goods_and_services/default.asp
Reply 34
They weren't denied anything on the basis of their sexuality. They were denied on the basis that the bakery did not want to endorse a political message. If the gay customer had merely asked for a cake, they would not have been refused.

If they were asked by a mixed race couple to make the little people that go on top of a wedding cake but refused to do so as they disagree with mixed race marriage would you support their right to refuse?

Would you feel the same way if they had wanted the cake with message 'black and proud' and they were refused?
In 2007 it became illegal to discriminate people because of their sexual orientation when providing goods and services. Therefore, they broke the law.
Original post by Reluire
I don't think the rejection of service was necessarily based on the customer's sexuality, though. I think that it was the nature of the service requested that was rejected. Had the customer, who may or may not have been gay, ordered something more generic like a birthday cake, I don't think they would have been turned away.

The point is the shop does not get to define what message is acceptable or not on one of the cakes

as I have asked others how would you feel if they had refused a cake with the term 'black and proud' written on it?

Also, what is the point of that cake? Gay marriage has been legalised has it not?

How is that remotely comparable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending