The Student Room Group

Feminists want us to move towards dictatorship

For a few years now feminists have been holding up their banners saying things like "I need feminism because science toys shouldn't be in the boys section" and "I need feminism because boardrooms and politics are full of men" etc.

Feminism is trumpeted as the solution to these problems, but you'll almost never hear a feminist stating exactly how feminism will go about solving these problems.

The reason they never say how is because the only way such views can be enforced is via a larger and more controlling state. Feminists are suspicious of the vast majority of humans who make judgements on ability rather than gender, and thus want state regulation to ensure they get their own way.

Rather than leading to increased freedom for women, what feminism really leads to is bigger government and more normalisation of state control, taking us on the path towards authoritarianism and dictatorship.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Step 1. Feminism
Step 2. Paranoid rambling
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Dictatorship

Cool post.
Reply 2
Original post by betaglucowhat
Step 1. Feminism
Step 2. Paranoid rambling
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Dictatorship

Cool post.

You haven't argued against anything I've written. Poor post.
Reply 3
Having studied feminism in detail, I can only conclude that feminists are authoritarians who wish to force their values upon us without our consent. That is the very definition of dictatorship.
Reply 4
The links between feminism and authoritarianism are plain to see, and it's scary how many young people support state intervention to give women unearned privileges.
Everyone knows feminism is a joke. We don't need incessant threads showing time and time again how that is the case.
Reply 6
I thought that was obvious.

Only a couple of months back the main UK groups were protesting against Lads Magazines. Initially they argued the fronts should be covered and placed on top shelfs. After supermarkets placed the magazines in covers, they then suddenly wanted them banned and removed altogether and started insisting "no half measures!" despite them initially campaigning for that measure.

The feminist way now just seems to be, if you don't like something (for whatever reason), it doesn't matter about who may like it and in the Lads Mag examples the countless models making a good career out of it, then it must be banned no discussion available.
Please can you spell out your argument, supplying individual pieces of evidence rather than broad generalisations, in order to support your assertion that feminists want dictatorship? When you've done this we might be able to communicate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan
For a few years now feminists have been holding up their banners saying things like "I need feminism because science toys shouldn't be in the boys section" and "I need feminism because boardrooms and politics are full of men" etc.

Feminism is trumpeted as the solution to these problems, but you'll almost never hear a feminist stating exactly how feminism will go about solving these problems.

The reason they never say how is because the only way such views can be enforced is via a larger and more controlling state. Feminists are suspicious of the vast majority of humans who make judgements on ability rather than gender, and thus want state regulation to ensure they get their own way.

Rather than leading to increased freedom for women, what feminism really leads to is bigger government and more normalisation of state control, taking us on the path towards authoritarianism and dictatorship.

The majority of feminists do not want change to be forced. In fact, legislated help for women is demeaning - it's like the government are officially saying that women are not as good as men, so need the help. What (most) feminists want is for society to change, not the law. They want people to be judged on ability, not gender - you've got yourself in a muddle there, and inadvertently prove their point that some men still seem think men are superior.
Original post by JG1233
I thought that was obvious.

Only a couple of months back the main UK groups were protesting against Lads Magazines. Initially they argued the fronts should be covered and placed on top shelfs. After supermarkets placed the magazines in covers, they then suddenly wanted them banned and removed altogether and started insisting "no half measures!" despite them initially campaigning for that measure.

The feminist way now just seems to be, if you don't like something (for whatever reason), it doesn't matter about who may like it and in the Lads Mag examples the countless models making a good career out of it, then it must be banned no discussion available.

That's just the feminists who you see campaigning for structural change. Media attention will always focus on those who want to change the law - it's not a newsworthy story to say 'feminists want people to stop being sexist'.
Reply 10
Original post by PythianLegume
The majority of feminists do not want change to be forced. In fact, legislated help for women is demeaning - it's like the government are officially saying that women are not as good as men, so need the help. What (most) feminists want is for society to change, not the law. They want people to be judged on ability, not gender - you've got yourself in a muddle there, and inadvertently prove their point that some men still seem think men are superior.

So when women say "we need feminism because...", how is feminism going to bring about those changes?

We already have laws ensuring that women are judged on ability. If these laws are breached, it is women's responsibility to ensure they are enforced, rather than holding up placards and whining on Tumblr.
Reply 11
That's just the feminists who you see campaigning for structural change. Media attention will always focus on those who want to change the law - it's not a newsworthy story to say 'feminists want people to stop being sexist'.

Well that campaign was spear-headed by UK Feminista and Object, the two biggest feminist organisations in the UK. I don't see how its un-reasonable to say the two largest feminist organizations in the country would probably fairly accurately portray the beliefs of most?

Or are we supposed to look at the different organizations still, such as the Oxford feminist society who only recently demanded the witch-hunt and resignation of their student ambassador based on a false rape accusation before he was even charged never mind convicted. These feminists you seem to be referring to seem to be either a big minority or relatively pointless considering they appear to do nothing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi
Alright Ridwan, I strongly suspect that you suffer from delusional paranoia, in which case I feel only sympathy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Please can you spell out your argument, supplying individual pieces of evidence rather than broad generalisations, in order to support your assertion that feminists want dictatorship? When you've done this we might be able to communicate.

I never said feminists want dictatorship. I said they want us to move towards dictatorship.

Here's an example. Feminists are threatening legal proceedings against shops that sell lad's mags. This demonstrates how they want our society to become more authoritarian and infringe on our freedoms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22678149
Reply 13
Original post by JG1233
Well that campaign was spear-headed by UK Feminista and Object, the two biggest feminist organisations in the UK. I don't see how its un-reasonable to say the two largest feminist organizations in the country would probably fairly accurately portray the beliefs of most?

Or are we supposed to look at the different organizations still, such as the Oxford feminist society who only recently demanded the witch-hunt and resignation of their student ambassador based on a false rape accusation before he was even charged never mind convicted.

Well said.

Banning things is inherently authoritarian; and a hell of a lot of feminists support bans and censorship of things they don't like.
Original post by #Ridwan
So when women say "we need feminism because...", how is feminism going to bring about those changes?

We already have laws ensuring that women are judged on ability. If these laws are breached, it is women's responsibility to ensure they are enforced, rather than holding up placards and whining on Tumblr.

But it's impossible to enforce them - my dad recently had trouble with an employee they believed was only hiring men and excluding more qualified women, but there was nothing he could do about it, because it's impossible to prove.

Feminism attempts to bring about these changes by raising awareness of sexism in society, and by making sexism less acceptable, just like racism is. It's going to be a slow thing, obviously.

Original post by JG1233

Or are we supposed to look at the different organizations still, such as the Oxford feminist society who only recently demanded the witch-hunt and resignation of their student ambassador based on a false rape accusation before he was even charged never mind convicted. These feminists you seem to be referring to seem to be either a big minority or relatively pointless considering they appear to do nothing.

Yeh, just like the NUS accurately represents the views of students. Oh, wait.
Original post by #Ridwan
I never said feminists want dictatorship. I said they want us to move towards dictatorship.

Here's an example. Feminists are threatening legal proceedings against shops that sell lad's mags. This demonstrates how they want our society to become more authoritarian and infringe on our freedoms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22678149

Oh good, one example. I'd agree that this kind of feminist sits on the side of the political left in advocating state control, but that in no way necessarily constitutes dictatorship. Your definition of feminist is also laughably narrow. I consider myself a feminist in a broad sense, but I'm very politically liberal. By talking only about hardline feminist activism, you exclude the majority of self-defining feminists.

More to the point, that's not an argument. You will only cease to look paranoid when you provide a full argument, rather than one anecdote twice.
Original post by #Ridwan
Well said.

Banning things is inherently authoritarian; and a hell of a lot of feminists support bans and censorship of things they don't like.

See what's really your problem here is that some feminists are authoritarian. By all means criticise that, I'm certainly against it. But it's not a criticism of feminism any more than opposing a ban on cigarettes is a criticism of doctors.
See what's really your problem here is that some feminists are authoritarian. By all means criticise that, I'm certainly against it. But it's not a criticism of feminism any more than opposing a ban on cigarettes is a criticism of doctors.

Well put.
Reply 18
Yeh, just like the NUS accurately represents the views of students. Oh, wait.

So where are these feminists you seem to be referring to?
I've seen a group of radicals protesting in my home town, i've been watching live shows where radicals have run on topless, and i've witnessed them physically move to ban things which they don't like.

Do you know of any non-radical feminist organisations then? Ones which aren't and haven't pushed to ban something for seemingly no reason, surely they must exist if they are actually a majority of feminists?
Original post by JG1233
So where are these feminists you seem to be referring to?
I've seen a group of radicals protesting in my home town, i've been watching live shows where radicals have run on topless, and i've witnessed them physically move to ban things which they don't like.

Do you know of any non-radical feminist organisations then? Ones which aren't and haven't pushed to ban something for seemingly no reason, surely they must exist if they are actually a majority of feminists?

Well what I'm talking about is my friends who would identify as feminists. I don't know if they are members of any organisations, you certainly don't have to be in order to be a feminist. I also know some who would purposely avoid joining many of the mainstream feminist groups because they simply don't agree with what those groups say and do.

Another analogy - point me to the sensible, centre-leaning student organisations. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending