The Student Room Group

Why do guys generally get along a lot better than girls do with each other?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arieisit
Why do you keep emphasising masculinity? Men that are not very masculine cannot get along?

Because he's specifically comparing men and women.

Men aren't inherently better at getting along - rather the personality traits typical of men allow for that (supposedly).
Reply 61
Original post by EatAndRevise
You are crazy, who has "the largest penis" competitions? Or "who can pee the farthest" competitions?

a metaphor.
have you not heard the expression "lets not get into a dick measuring contest" or "i dont want to get into a pissing competition"

perhaps these are done literally from time to time. but the point i was making is those two phrases are to do with petty male competition.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Not really, you're not even a girl so what would you know?

People are good looking and better looking than others in different ways. Only insecure girls would resent the other, it doesn't apply to all

And people should be resented if they are nasty to others (applies to all, even good looking people)

Ok
Original post by Michael!
When male friend get in a fight, they'll most likely be best mates again the next day. With women, it'll last years.

This is something I've noticed a lot too. Fights between guys are generally very short-lived and tend to be forgotten about moments later/the next day.

Fights between girls? So much drama that's unnecessarily drawn out over long periods of time, even when it's over petty s***.
Reply 64
Original post by InsertWittyName
I think it mainly comes down to how both sexes deal with anger and problems with others. Guys generally end up having a go at whoever they're pissed off, getting into a fight or w/e, or at least outwardly showing their discontent.

Girls often (or at least, are more likely to) be like 'naa I'm K' and then chat about each other behind their backs or scheme against whoever they don't like in their group.

Guys can be d-bags to other guys, but girls are often downright cruel to each other.

Yeah, when me or my guy friends have fallen out we'd usually just have a physical fight then shake hands afterwards unless it was something huge and unforgivable.

Girls seem to delight in continuing these dramas between themselves for pointless and unnecessary reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ForgetMe
Like they say "true love can only be between 2 men" :sexface:

No one says that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RayApparently
Because he's specifically comparing men and women.

Men aren't inherently better at getting along - rather the personality traits typical of men allow for that (supposedly).

Yeah, that makes no sense because non masculine men don't get into as much fights as girls either.

Original post by fojodef
a metaphor.
have you not heard the expression "lets not get into a dick measuring contest" or "i dont want to get into a pissing competition"

perhaps these are done literally from time to time. but the point i was making is those two phrases are to do with petty male competition.

That's not a metaphor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C.Almasy
Something I have never understood. Guys tend to find common ground a lot easier with each other provided that they have a masculine type of respect for each other. No matter the race or social persuasion, guys just tend to find it very easy to get along with each other provided that there is a masculine respect and common interests.

But with girls, in my observations, tend to fall out with each other or try to belittle each other for the most innocuous of reasons. There is just so much politics when it comes to girls.

I completely agree. I think with girls its always as if we're competing against each other. Personally I don't get a long with girls but that stems from going to an all girls primary school followed by an all girls secondary school.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
No one says that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe not in England but we do have such quote :colonhash: Are you mad? :colone:
Reply 69
Yeah, that makes no sense because non masculine men don't get into as much fights as girls either.

That's not a metaphor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how is it not
All of my close friends are girls :s

This makes no sense.
Original post by TolerantBeing
All of my close friends are girls :s

This makes no sense.

because your experience is typical of everyone elses

lol

just lol
Some girls are bitchy, jealous, always competing with each other :dontknow:
Original post by tehforum
because your experience is typical of everyone elses

lol

just lol

We'll most girls I know have a circle of girl friends.

You actually don't think it's the norm to have a group of girl friends :lolwut:
Original post by TolerantBeing
We'll most girls I know have a circle of girl friends.

You actually don't think it's the norm to have a group of girl friends :lolwut:

Can you even read the thread title?
Reply 75
Original post by fojodef
a metaphor.

Nope, I have not heard those expressions.
Reply 77
Original post by EatAndRevise
Nope, I have not heard those expressions.

urban dictionary
Reply 78
This is a crap judgement. Girls who aren't ratty bitches will get along and boys who aren't self-obsessed will get along

It's the OP's point, not mine - I'm just clarifying it. Masculinity here simply refers to traits typical of men. The OP is stating that this is one of those traits.

Quick Reply

Latest