The Student Room Group

Becoming a 'Youtuber' whilst at University?

For those of you who are not familiar with 'Youtube sensations' (ie for those who actually have lives lol), it's basically normal individuals who create Youtube videos, weather it be on make up, lifestyle or vlogs (literally filming your life and uploading it onto Youtube, yes people watch that..), get loads of views and 'subscribers' and become 'mini celebrities'. Making these videos can then become a job and a stable source of income of you get quite popular.

Firstly, what do you think about this whole Youtuber culture? I personally believe that it must take a lot of courage to just post yourself online under the scrutiny of internet 'trolls' etc, so good on them for that, but at the same time I see a lot of 'popular' Youtubers who become extreamley arrogant and pretentious after gaining their new found 'fame'. In addition, I also feel there are a lot of 'pointless' blogs (excuse the pun, if you understand that then lol) of dumb teenagers doing dumb crap such as 'Hitting eachother on the head with an egg challenge' that a large demographic of teenage girls then devour, most likely because the Youtubers are 'good looking', not because they have actual talent.

Also, what do you think about a person creating a youtube channel whilst at university? Mind you the channel could be a place to vent about certian past experinces/people/teachers, obviously not from the current university but just past high school experiences. Do you think the university would have a problem? I was thinking about starting a channel at Uni to see how it goes, then was wondering if expressing myself and discussing my personal experiences would be bad as a Uni student... Although this question is much simpler if you're posting non-personal material. What about, perhaps, of the student is studying for a respectable fiels like Medicine or Law? Would venting/swearing about past bitchy teacher tothe world be really bad for a medical student?

I'd love to hear thoughts and discussions! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I started my channel just before I went to uni it was all good then. But once I started uni I kinda just forgot about it and was mostly embarrassed but now I wouldn't mind as much. One of my videos got 25,000 views which I think was awesome lol you should watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ln3fjtRUc
Original post by christianoginni
I started my channel just before I went to uni it was all good then. But once I started uni I kinda just forgot about it and was mostly embarrassed but now I wouldn't mind as much. One of my videos got 25,000 views which I think was awesome lol you should watch it.

I think 25,000 views is awesome lol! Thats a pretty good video. You're very natural and non-awkward to the camera, you should keep making videos! Your videos would be perfect if you got a DSLR!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperFly
I think 25,000 views is awesome lol! Thats a pretty good video. You're very natural and non-awkward to the camera, you should keep making videos! Your videos would be perfect if you got a DSLR!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man! Haha I wish I could afford a DSLR thats another reason why I stopped making videos I want to kinda make a come back video in 1080p, thats my dream lol, do you have a channel?
Reply 4
Omg, i've always thought about this! &ive always doubted myself lol. I mean ive even thought about some of the videos that id want to do. Like giving my on opinion on a particular topic. Tbh a vlog would be difficult, considering that theres like nothing interesting about my life at this point aha, but these little sketches and mini videos like the guy had made above seems like something im really interested in doing. At the same time Ive always thought that this would be a waste of time. Also, considering that i have 0 confidence (even though it will be me and a camera) i could only assume that these videos wont go too well. Ive watched so many of these YouTubers gradually become successful & yeah, you're right by saying that they become mini celebrities even though it took them years to get this far &btw your pointless blog pun lol. I am starting uni this year, i am also questioning whether or not i should go through with it.
The chances of you becoming a well-known Youtuber are very low. In addition, if it is the money you are after, the chances of you gaining enough money to keep you financially stable are also very low.
Hi, I think it's a good idea. Just don't make it your top priority at uni. Even if you're fans are begging for a new video, if you're too busy, don't risk failing an exam for a YouTube video.

A lot of people start making YouTube videos just because they want to be famous, if you're one of those people, don't start! You should make videos because you want to entertain and it's just fun! Don't do it if the only thing you're after is the status of a 'YouTube celebrity'

I started making YouTube videos in March and I'll carry on when I start in September, but as I said it won't be a priority. It'll just be because I find it really fun and people seem to enjoy them aha :smile:

If you enjoy talking and telling stories etc and know how to/enjoy editing videos, go for it! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

You're really good! :smile:
Original post by EatAndRevise
The chances of you becoming a well-known Youtuber are very low. In addition, if it is the money you are after, the chances of you gaining enough money to keep you financially stable are also very low.

This is so so so true. I think what gave Youtubers such as charlieissocoollike and amazingphil the edge and the ability to become famous is that Youtube was a lot smaller then. It was easier to become famous and have that support from the audience, and that they have/had their own style. There are so many new 'Youtubers' now that their videos are at the bottom of the heap with 20-50 views and they don't get the success seen in danisnotonfire and italktosnakes for example.

Not to bring this thread down or anything, just saying that if you want to do it, then cool that's fine, but it would be hard. :biggrin:
Original post by Jimmy2503
Hi, I think it's a good idea. Just don't make it your top priority at uni. Even if you're fans are begging for a new video, if you're too busy, don't risk failing an exam for a YouTube video.

A lot of people start making YouTube videos just because they want to be famous, if you're one of those people, don't start! You should make videos because you want to entertain and it's just fun! Don't do it if the only thing you're after is the status of a 'YouTube celebrity'

I started making YouTube videos in March and I'll carry on when I start in September, but as I said it won't be a priority. It'll just be because I find it really fun and people seem to enjoy them aha :smile:

If you enjoy talking and telling stories etc and know how to/enjoy editing videos, go for it! :biggrin:

Ugh I can't do with people who are just looking for fame. You can tell so quickly when you're watching, like I was watching this one girl's first video and she was just like amazingphil in mannerisms, speech, set up of the video... Be yourself! :mad:
It's a cool idea in theory but very very few people who post videos get 'Youtube famous'.
No offence, but so many people think that they are interesting and watchable...when in actual fact, they're not.
I wouldn't mention anyone in your videos (like teachers). You never know what will come back to bite you in the arse.
Hey I love youtube and am familiar with youtube sensation...AND I HAVE A LIFE LOL
Reply 12
Those youtubers make me cringe. All they do is make stupid challenge videos.

Your channel's so good! You should defo start up again :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks man! Haha I wish I could afford a DSLR thats another reason why I stopped making videos I want to kinda make a come back video in 1080p, thats my dream lol, do you have a channel?

I don't have a channel! :frown: I'm way to self concious for that right now lol, and I imagine even though it is 'just making videos' must be hard thinking of a good idea, filming, editing, uploading especially if Youtube is only a side thing. But seeing as its summer and I have nothing to do maybe I should start... But I would need to but a DSLR. The cheapest and best one I found was the Canon 600D/T3i...

And guys guys guys, I don't want to start a Youtube channel to become famous or for the money and I know that chances are very low. I wanted to know your thoughts on someone doing 'rant videos' and crappy life experiences (w/ swearing etc) and weather a University would disapprove of this, especially if you were doing Medicine or something...more than anything it would be a form of therapy for me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liomeeringca
Ugh I can't do with people who are just looking for fame. You can tell so quickly when you're watching, like I was watching this one girl's first video and she was just like amazingphil in mannerisms, speech, set up of the video... Be yourself! :mad:

Yeah, viewers arn't stupid, it so cringe and awkward seeing Youtubers that are really fake lol and if they are in it for the money, they won't last long...

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those of you who are not familiar with 'Youtube sensations' (ie for those who actually have lives lol), it's basically normal individuals who create Youtube videos, weather it be on make up, lifestyle or vlogs (literally filming your life and uploading it onto Youtube, yes people watch that..), get loads of views and 'subscribers' and become 'mini celebrities'. Making these videos can then become a job and a stable source of income of you get quite popular.

Firstly, what do you think about this whole Youtuber culture? I personally believe that it must take a lot of courage to just post yourself online under the scrutiny of internet 'trolls' etc, so good on them for that, but at the same time I see a lot of 'popular' Youtubers who become extreamley arrogant and pretentious after gaining their new found 'fame'. In addition, I also feel there are a lot of 'pointless' blogs (excuse the pun, if you understand that then lol) of dumb teenagers doing dumb crap such as 'Hitting eachother on the head with an egg challenge' that a large demographic of teenage girls then devour, most likely because the Youtubers are 'good looking', not because they have actual talent.

Also, what do you think about a person creating a youtube channel whilst at university? Mind you the channel could be a place to vent about certian past experinces/people/teachers, obviously not from the current university but just past high school experiences. Do you think the university would have a problem? I was thinking about starting a channel at Uni to see how it goes, then was wondering if expressing myself and discussing my personal experiences would be bad as a Uni student... Although this question is much simpler if you're posting non-personal material. What about, perhaps, of the student is studying for a respectable fiels like Medicine or Law? Would venting/swearing about past bitchy teacher tothe world be really bad for a medical student?

I'd love to hear thoughts and discussions! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ara do it be somethign cool to show the kids!:P

From time to time I consider getting one, but honestly, watching videos of people brushing their teeth or whatever is one of many things for which life is too short. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't have a channel! :frown: I'm way to self concious for that right now lol, and I imagine even though it is 'just making videos' must be hard thinking of a good idea, filming, editing, uploading especially if Youtube is only a side thing. But seeing as its summer and I have nothing to do maybe I should start... But I would need to but a DSLR. The cheapest and best one I found was the Canon 600D/T3i...

And guys guys guys, I don't want to start a Youtube channel to become famous or for the money and I know that chances are very low. I wanted to know your thoughts on someone doing 'rant videos' and crappy life experiences (w/ swearing etc) and weather a University would disapprove of this, especially if you were doing Medicine or something...more than anything it would be a form of therapy for me lol
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's alright then, I'm really self conscious too but on camera you can come across as confident as you like. It really helps to improve your confidence too

FYI, you don't need a really expensive camera to get going. Something like a canon s120/s110 would be fine! (I happened to have a 600D before though and it is wicked tbh)

Stories about your life and rant videos are fun to do and people enjoy watching them so that's a good thing to do. For now I'd cut out/bleep the swearing because people who know me have said they prefer it with no swearing.

And for the rant videos, the university doesn't need to know. It's your personal life, as long as you don't quote names/places you're fine anyway.
I want to make one ,too!

Latest

Trending

Trending