The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Uni of Hertfordshire English Literature Reading List?! 2014

I'm studying, provided that results day goes down well, English Literature BAHons at the University of Hertfordshire and i've been looking everywhere for a reading list for the first year
someone? anyone?
Reply 1
Original post by _amanns
I'm studying, provided that results day goes down well, English Literature BAHons at the University of Hertfordshire and i've been looking everywhere for a reading list for the first year
someone? anyone?

The reading list has to be finalized by the module leader, and I know that this year the English department are revamping the first year modules. If you haven't received them yet, you will do soon when they're ready.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by KJane
The reading list has to be finalized by the module leader, and I know that this year the English department are revamping the first year modules. If you haven't received them yet, you will do soon when they're ready.

Will this be something that we receive by post or email? Is there a chance of having reading assessments to do before our first class?
Reply 3
Original post by purplesophie
Will this be something that we receive by post or email? Is there a chance of having reading assessments to do before our first class?

It'll be made available online, I've never received a reading list through the post. Don't worry too much about the reading list, the University is prepared for Humanities students to change or take up their subject modules in the first week (induction week.) So in that case you'd be getting a reading list when you start.

Nope, no reading assessments. Logistically it'd be a nightmare to arrange, they just give you the reading list and hope you get on with it. (Reading the entire thing before term starts isn't necessary, just make sure you keep ahead of the reading for each scheduled week.)
Hiya, I recently received joining instructions, so here's what I could find on reading lists:

Essential (for English Literature)

Great Expectations- Charles Dickens
Lady Audley's Secret- Mary Braddon
The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume E

The PDF also has some suggested desirable readings:

Victorian Literature and culture- Maureen Moran
The Fin de Siecle: A reader in cultural history c. 1880-1900- Sally Ledger, Roger Luckhurst
Literature in the modern world: Critical essays and Documents (2nd ed.)- Dennis Walder

All of these can be found on Amazon, but the prices vary quite dramatically. Apparently there's a discount for students who buy the Norton Anthology and Great Expectations together from the Waterstones store in the Hatfield Galleria.
If anybody would like the reading suggestions from any other parts of the Humanities programmes, please contact me :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you! I was so unsure about the reading list... however, I think there is another novel which has to be read beforehand as the author herself is attending one of the introduction days:/
Original post by meeran3
Thank you! I was so unsure about the reading list... however, I think there is another novel which has to be read beforehand as the author herself is attending one of the introduction days:/

Yeah its 26a by Diana Evans. I got the reading list from a link on the email Herts sent me when I got offered a place :smile:
26a is a fantastic book, quite tearful in places! I can't wait to meet the author in freshers week!
Reply 8
Original post by lucy.hy31
Yeah its 26a by Diana Evans. I got the reading list from a link on the email Herts sent me when I got offered a place :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lucy.hy31

Thank you:biggrin:
Reply 10
Hi Purplesophie,

I am going to be studying English literature and English Language Teaching at Hertforshire this september. do you happen to know what my reading list would be ?

thank you
Original post by mluthfaa
Hi Purplesophie,

I am going to be studying English literature and English Language Teaching at Hertforshire this september. do you happen to know what my reading list would be ?

thank you

Hi there. My PDF doesn't seem to have anything on English Language Teaching, so perhaps it's a different pdf? Sorry!
Reply 12
Hi there. My PDF doesn't seem to have anything on English Language Teaching, so perhaps it's a different pdf? Sorry!

Hey, Actually its exactly what you are doing. I did receive the same reading list. Did you manage to buy the books? I could not find the Norton Anthology of english lit at waterstones.

I have a question. When does uni actually start?
Original post by mluthfaa
Hey, Actually its exactly what you are doing. I did receive the same reading list. Did you manage to buy the books? I could not find the Norton Anthology of english lit at waterstones.

I have a question. When does uni actually start?

Yeh I've brought most of the books now.. 26a, lady Audley's Secret and some of the books for language and communication. (already have great expectations)
I found the Norton anthology on amazon, as well as on the waterstones marketplace. Just remember to get the correct volume and edition :smile:
First day of university is 29th September!
Just to clarify, the Norton Anthology is definitely volume E, right? I saw that on the reading list which was emailed to me, however when I asked in-store for it at Waterstones they said it was unavailable. They did have volume 1 and 2, but no "volume E". Just want to ensure it is definitely called "volume E" before I go ahead and spent around £20 on it. Thanks :smile:
Original post by roisinramone
Just to clarify, the Norton Anthology is definitely volume E, right? I saw that on the reading list which was emailed to me, however when I asked in-store for it at Waterstones they said it was unavailable. They did have volume 1 and 2, but no "volume E". Just want to ensure it is definitely called "volume E" before I go ahead and spent around £20 on it. Thanks :smile:

Yes it's definitely called The Norton anthology of English literature volume E. Be sure to buy the newest edition as it has some additional materials in it. Do a Google search and find the Norton website before you buy it!
Yes it's definitely called The Norton anthology of English literature volume E. Be sure to buy the newest edition as it has some additional materials in it. Do a Google search and find the Norton website before you buy it!

Alright, cheers :smile:
Reply 17
Yeh I've brought most of the books now.. 26a, lady Audley's Secret and some of the books for language and communication. (already have great expectations)
I found the Norton anthology on amazon, as well as on the waterstones marketplace. Just remember to get the correct volume and edition :smile:
First day of university is 29th September!

Thank you.
i foundthis one on amazon. is it the correct version?http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Norton-Anthology-English-Literature/dp/0393912531/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408459569&sr=8-4&keywords=the+norton+anthology+of+english+literature
Looks like the right one to me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending