The Student Room Group

Weak 1 Again.

Seeing how everyone else has a witty as **** title i gave it my best attempt.

Background: Bro split at 16, weighed 255lbs at the time of pure fat.
Last year i got back into lifting, weighed 198lbs at between 17-20% bf, however i became ill with glandular fever, putting me out for around 6months.

Stats: 6ft.
Weight: 187lbs.
Bf: Guessing low 20s.

Used oly dbs for 2 weeks but refunded them due to fault, bought an oly bb set instead so ive just started with that.

Working sets only.

Deadlift: 70kg 8,8,8.
Didnt feel too heavy, i have some back rounding though, definite posture problem paired with tight hams and glutes.

Strict clean press: 40kg 5,5,5,2.
I'm yet to set up my new squat stand so decided to do some cleans into strict pause press, i want 45kg by next week, the sooner i hit a plate on press the better.

Bent over bb row: 55kg 5,5,5,5,5.
Das a lot of 5's mayn! 60kg saturday, then by monday im going to bang on 25kg a side.

Pushups: 11,7,5,3,3,3,3.
Lol... pathetic, between the last 5 sets i basically took no rest to treat it as an extension onto the previous sets.

Bb curl: bar 8,8,8.

Overall as a first day back with a barbell im disapointed with my strength levels, yet i fully expected it.

My aims for now are to correct form with dl, i dont believe in going too light to correct form with any compound as its a matter of strengthening myself at the same time imo, im going to keep the rep range higher untill i feel comfortable, then i will move onto 1x5.

For now i'll eat at maintenance and see how my body responds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

In.

Good luck mate, glad to see you back

How're you feeling these days?

And did you ever do that sandbag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Angry cucumber
In.

Good luck mate, glad to see you back

How're you feeling these days?

And did you ever do that sandbag?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i split it lmfao...
Also someone else cleaned it up, im going to use a better material to case it in lol.

Oh and fully recovered, i have to admit im disapointed with my strength losses but im not unhappy about it; i never understand people who are unhappy with the results of their hobbies and improving themselves, it defeats the point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
July 4th:

20minutes or so of yoga, videos of this in two days for your amusement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
July 5th.

Busy day so got a quick workout in before breakfast and will finish tonight.

Bench: 40kg 8,8,8,8.

Bent over row: 40kg 12.
- 55kg 8,8,8.

T-bar: 37.5kg 15,15.

Saw a half loaded barbell on the floor so i thought may as well.

Well it does feel wierd ****ing around with such light weight again but gainz will come, in regards to rows i havent got 70kg for 5x5 in me this week, maybe next week. Edit: maybe the week after that lol.

Im going to have to buy an expensive squat stand in a couple of months, this thing is useless, it has a load capacity of 180kg, but you cant load plates onto it without another person lol, cheap piece of ****.

Pm:
Clean: 30kg 3,3,3... i need to work on my flexibility.
Bb lunge: 30kg didnt log but high reps across 3 sets
Core: sit ups 12, 12. Floor plate twists: 6,6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
You'll be making mad gains in the next couple of months! Good luck
Reply 7
July 7th.

Deadlift: 75kg 8,8.
This really made me realise how unfit i am, i was out of breath and dying in the garden.

Press: 42.5kg 4.
40kg 4,3.
37.5kg 2.

Row: 57.5kg 5,5,5,5,5.
Should have done 60 but the last couple of sets were really tough.

Standing skullcrushers: Bar 12, 12.

Barbell curl: 22.5kg 8,8,5,4.

I've also decided that on my non deadlift days i'll be doing zercher squats and maybe taking out the bent over row and replace with a pendlay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Reps4Jesus

Thanks man.

Original post by ljoshl91
You'll be making mad gains in the next couple of months! Good luck

Haha we'll see how it goes, i may move onto a solid program in a month or two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Aldi is easily my new favourite supermarket...

1404829000333.jpg

This whole meal consisting of cottage cheese, prawn and lemongrass fish cake, rice and green beans cost me between £1.40-60.

All kindz of saving gainz, all kindz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nvmthename
Aldi is easily my new favourite supermarket...

1404829000333.jpg

This whole meal consisting of cottage cheese, prawn and lemongrass fish cake, rice and green beans cost me between £1.40-60.

All kindz of saving gainz, all kindz.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nice meal. will give aldi a visit. how much protein in that fishcake?
Original post by AreebWithaHat
nice meal. will give aldi a visit. how much protein in that fishcake?

11/26/11 with 250kcals.
Not optimal but the the entire meal is 35g's.

They have a few of these fish cakes that taste orgasmic and are only £1 each...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Aldi is amazing. I don't think they were doing them when I last went in, but for the past 4 years they did frozen tuna steaks for £4 and you get like 5 of them I think. Cheaper than buying tuna tins for the weight, and they tasted great.

They also have cheap nut packets!
Original post by ljoshl91
Aldi is amazing. I don't think they were doing them when I last went in, but for the past 4 years they did frozen tuna steaks for £4 and you get like 5 of them I think. Cheaper than buying tuna tins for the weight, and they tasted great.

They also have cheap nut packets!

Their standard tins of tuna are like 39p... I love the place lol.
People that complain they cant afford to eat lean, green or bulk are just bull****ting themselves at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nvmthename
Their standard tins of tuna are like 39p... I love the place lol.
People that complain they cant afford to eat lean, green or bulk are just bull****ting themselves at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People will go to unbelievable lengths to shift the blame of their own health failings to something else. I work at a GP surgery in a deprived area and its unbelievable how many fat people don't think it's their fault.
Original post by illusionz
People will go to unbelievable lengths to shift the blame of their own health failings to something else. I work at a GP surgery in a deprived area and its unbelievable how many fat people don't think it's their fault.

I use to be like this, then it hit me; im 16 and eat a donner kebab every day washed down with 2litres of coke. Its ignorance by choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok so today I was meant to be a rest day but funeral tomorrow; the feels.

This post was going to be a general update so i'll start with that. I said I was going to eat at maintenance but i've been eating 1800kcals and moderate protein, I feel recovery is excellent tbh! I havent been on protein shakes or any other supplements just very high micro nutrient count.

I sent my squat rack back as its a piece of **** and couldnt back squat on it anyway, decided to just do zerchers on my bench shoulders, works well.

Zercher: 40kg 5,5,5,5,5.
Like all my squats I have to squat onto a box / bench and while pausing I felt a very strong explosive surge through my quads that fronties never gave me (granted i've never been flexible enough for them.)

Bench: 45kg 5.
47.5kg 5,5,5,5.
+7.5kg and more volume from last work out.... pls continue like dis :colondollar:

Bent over row: 60kg 5,5,5,5,5.
T-Bar: 40kg 15,15.

Curl: 22.5kg 8,8,6.
Tbh I got 8 reps on the last set but 2 were slutty, easy and anyone can do them.

I'm going to upload 2 videos of my final working sets of rows and zerchers as my form breaks down a lot and i'd love some critique.
I dont see the point in form videos in the first few sets imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're increasing your bench by 7.5kg at a time you're likely to stall pretty soon tbh
Original post by illusionz
If you're increasing your bench by 7.5kg at a time you're likely to stall pretty soon tbh

Probably lol, I know I was going to up the weight more than 2.5kg as I was doing less reps and 45 felt easy.
Hope I can ride this for as long as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest