The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Panicking about uni equipment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calllu-m
Firstly, essays. No university will have enough computers for everyone. I was waiting for an hour for a computer to free up just to print one of my essays. University library's are generally packed and you're fighting to get a seat, so online resources are often better. I checked 4 books out of the library my entire time in first year. My university also strongly suggests people have a laptop, and it stops just short of a requirement. You show me a university student without a laptop in this day and age, and I'll be very surprised indeed.

That's why you become a proactive student and get to the library as soon as it opens, so there will be a computer for you. If you walk in at 2 in the afternoon around an essay deadline, of course there isn't going to be a computer available. If you don't have the money for a laptop, you don't have it and there are other ways to get essays done than to spend hundreds of pounds on something you don't need, if it's just for work.

A couple of my friends who don't have laptops at uni get to the library at 8:30 am when it opens if they need to do work, and carry on until they want to stop. You can leave it on lock if you want to go and get lunch or whatever else.
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Original post by Groundearth
That's why you become a proactive student and get to the library as soon as it opens, so there will be a computer for you. If you walk in at 2 in the afternoon around an essay deadline, of course there isn't going to be a computer available. If you don't have the money for a laptop, you don't have it and there are other ways to get essays done than to spend hundreds of pounds on something you don't need, if it's just for work.

A couple of my friends who don't have laptops at uni get to the library at 8:30 am when it opens if they need to do work, and carry on until they want to stop. You can leave it on lock if you want to go and get lunch or whatever else.

That is utter ****. Most universities have hardship grants to give people laptops. My uni even has a fund for people with dyslexia etc so they can buy a laptop and printer so they can do all their work on a laptop.

You're 15, how many people do you know at uni? That last part is a cardinal sin in university libraries.
Original post by Calllu-m
That is utter ****. Most universities have hardship grants to give people laptops. My uni even has a fund for people with dyslexia etc so they can buy a laptop and printer so they can do all their work on a laptop.

You're 15, how many people do you know at uni? That last part is a cardinal sin in university libraries.

I'm allowed to have friends. At uni you're expected to use a lot of books for referencing; your point about online resources being better is crap. How many thirds have you gotten so far in your essays? They expect you to sit down in a library and take out more books than 4, do research, get references, explore the authors' backgrounds and intentions, etc. You're obviously too lazy to get up for that time in the morning. Not all universities have these funds if you're not dyslexic; I can't think of one that does.
I'm allowed to have friends. At uni you're expected to use a lot of books for referencing; your point about online resources being better is crap. How many thirds have you gotten so far in your essays? They expect you to sit down in a library and take out more books than 4, do research, get references, explore the authors' backgrounds and intentions, etc. You're obviously too lazy to get up for that time in the morning. Not all universities have these funds if you're not dyslexic; I can't think of one that does.

Considering I'm doing a degree in a subject where you have to reference, I know what I'm talking about. I probably had a 30/70 split on resources, with all my referencing from books coming from the books we were required to buy. I've gotten firsts and 2.1s in all my essays so far actually, mostly using online journals and articles as my point of call for sources. Again, you're 15, how much do you really know about study support at universities?

Some people just want a laptop so they can get onto sites they want to not necessarily for work, but like games and stuff.
And im sorry, but some people cant get to the library when it opens if they have jobs too. You can get a good laptop pretty cheap if you just want it for work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'd totally recommend getting a desktop. I was in a similar predicament, the only problem is the size especially staying in halls, but computers are wayyyyy better than laptops. I built my computer, it cost me just over £800 I got i7, 8gig of ram, 3tb of memory and an awesome Amd graphics card, not sure which one it was R9 something. I got all the stuff I need from overclockers.

I'm know practically nothing about computers and I'm sure if I can build one anyone can!
But I'm so glad I didn't cop out and get a laptop.
Reply 26
Original post by CharlotteElektra
Hey I'd totally recommend getting a desktop. I was in a similar predicament, the only problem is the size especially staying in halls, but computers are wayyyyy better than laptops. I built my computer, it cost me just over £800 I got i7, 8gig of ram, 3tb of memory and an awesome Amd graphics card, not sure which one it was R9 something. I got all the stuff I need from overclockers.

I'm know practically nothing about computers and I'm sure if I can build one anyone can!
But I'm so glad I didn't cop out and get a laptop.

Overclockers? What's that?
Can you recommend any other sites?
And if I save hard enough I'm getting a desktop and Laptop aha
Original post by Jstrange
Overclockers? What's that?
Can you recommend any other sites?
And if I save hard enough I'm getting a desktop and Laptop aha

Overclockers is the website I bought all my stuff off. I believe they do laptops too.
Since when did anyone need a laptop to go to university? All universities have computer pool rooms, which usually stay open anywhere between midnight and 4 in the morning.

This, in fact my uni's library is open 24/7.

OP you don't even need a laptop, but if you want one, realistically you only need one capable of doing basic word processing etc so any cheap laptop would do. Even a second hand one.
Original post by Last Day Lepers
This, in fact my uni's library is open 24/7.

OP you don't even need a laptop, but if you want one, realistically you only need one capable of doing basic word processing etc so any cheap laptop would do. Even a second hand one.

I totally agree, it's a luxury not a necessity, the only reason I have my computer is because I took a year out to work. However, I have to disagree with getting a cheap one, I'm doing animation, and a cheap computer/laptop just wouldn't be able to cope with what I need it for.
Original post by CharlotteElektra
I totally agree, it's a luxury not a necessity, the only reason I have my computer is because I took a year out to work. However, I have to disagree with getting a cheap one, I'm doing animation, and a cheap computer/laptop just wouldn't be able to cope with what I need it for.

Hence use the pc the uni supplies with the programs on them. I equally study engineering where we use a lot of cad much of which we can't do on our laptops because the software costs a fortune.

Quick Reply