The Student Room Group

Really bad experiences with GP surgery

Something happened today which really takes the biscuit. Yesterday night I was sick, and I was advised by 111 to call the GP in the morning to make an urgent appointment. Because I'm a regular patient there is an agreement that I will be seen twice a week by the same doctor. I understood that if I was sick and needed an urgent appointment, I would still be seen, however when I called the receptionist said I was only allowed to see that doctor and she wasn't available today. She then practically accused me of making up my own sickness. she didn't give me an apt, not because there were no doctors available, but because it was me. I am very angry and upset about this. the staff are now not only being rude, they are being hostile.
what can I do about this? Should I wait until I see my doctor and tell them what happened, or should I just change surgeries? this isn't the first time I've been treated unfairly and I don't want to be in this situation again. I still feel sick and I will probably go to A&E for something that could have been addressed at the clinic.
I don't believe I can rely on them anymore when I'm ill but I wanted other people's opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I can rely on them anymore when I'm ill but I wanted other people's opinion.

Receptionists are always very angry, they get bored of their job and sulk that they couldn't become doctors.

I'd say wait for the doctor or if you feel very upset go to another GP.
Make a formal complaint to the NHS informing them that you will be switching surgeries due to incompetent staff at your current one.
Reply 3
Original post by CemCakantemur
Receptionists are always very angry, they get bored of their job and sulk that they couldn't become doctors.

I meant *can't rely on them.
The receptionist in question is normally quite pleasant. The doctor I normally see, I dont get on with.

Lol. Not every surgery receptionist wants to be a doctor :rolleyes:

Though I do agree with the advice you gave the OP.
Reply 5
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Make a formal complaint to the NHS informing them that you will be switching surgeries due to incompetent staff at your current one.

All medical complaints made about the surgery are handled by the doctor I normally see, who came up with this arrangement in the first place, so theres not really much point,
Original post by Lamptastic
Lol. Not every surgery receptionist wants to be a doctor :rolleyes:

Though I do agree with the advice you gave the OP.

Yeah I know, but what I meant was, they're stuck being receptionists, serving for doctors. That must hurt after a while knowing that they get paid quadruple your salary.
You've described a very strange situation and there are always two sides to a story. Did they actually refuse to offer you ANY appointment or were there just none that you felt were suitable? Also, if you see your doctor twice a week, surely you have an appointment coming up pretty rapidly anyway?
I meant *can't rely on them.
The receptionist in question is normally quite pleasant. The doctor I normally see, I dont get on with.

The reason why a GP places you with one doctor is so that the doctor gets to know you and thus builds a relationship in terms of a database of how well they know your overall situation. You can always ask to be seen by another doctor if that's what you want. Make your way to the GP and do not call over the phone.
All medical complaints made about the surgery are handled by the doctor I normally see, who came up with this arrangement in the first place, so theres not really much point,

Well you can make a complaint about the receptionist to your doctor but if you decide to stay at the same surgery and things don't change, then i'm sure you could contact NHS head office and they can take further action.
Original post by shiggydiggy
You've described a very strange situation and there are always two sides to a story. Did they actually refuse to offer you ANY appointment or were there just none that you felt were suitable? Also, if you see your doctor twice a week, surely you have an appointment coming up pretty rapidly anyway?

They just refused to give me an appointment. I was advised to make an appt urgently.
They just refused to give me an appointment. I was advised to make an appt urgently.

Ok. When is your next routine appointment?
The reason why a GP places you with one doctor is so that the doctor gets to know you and thus builds a relationship in terms of a database of how well they know your overall situation. You can always ask to be seen by another doctor if that's what you want. Make your way to the GP and do not call over the phone.

The thing is though, I cant. I was told she was the only doctor im allowed to see.
Ok. When is your next routine appointment?

Thursday. Not sure if I'll still go.
Not sure if I'll still go.

Can't be that urgent then, eh? Glad that's sorted.

Not sure you understand..

I understand that you're a medical student, but that doesn't make you the authority on medical complaints.

We don't know what OP was suffering from, it could be all sorts that requires urgent attention, but that she doesn't feel is necessary for A&E because she doesn't want to take away from the people who are perhaps dying to be seen.

So, maybe she is reconsidering attending the appointment of thursday out of the principle that she can't rely on their services when she most needs it. (she/he)

OP, having had similar experiences with GP surgeries (them just being horrible), i would suggest complaining about the staff. Or ringing up and complaining to another receptionist. They usually apologise and get you a quick appointment. (in my experience at my surgery, hope its helpful)
I understand that you're a medical student, but that doesn't make you the authority on medical complaints.

We don't know what OP was suffering from, it could be all sorts that requires urgent attention, but that she doesn't feel is necessary for A&E because she doesn't want to take away from the people who are perhaps dying to be seen.

So, maybe she is reconsidering attending the appointment of thursday out of the principle that she can't rely on their services when she most needs it. (she/he)

OP, having had similar experiences with GP surgeries (them just being horrible), i would suggest complaining about the staff. Or ringing up and complaining to another receptionist. They usually apologise and get you a quick appointment. (in my experience at my surgery, hope its helpful)

Thanks. I would complain but as I said all complaints in the surgery are dealt with by my GP, who is responsible for my not getting an appt today (she pretty much runs the clinic) as she set up the unique arrangement I have with her. I think she would file my complaint under B-I-N.

...We don't know what OP was suffering from, it could be all sorts that requires urgent attention...

Would you choose to die 'out of principle' over a spat with a receptionist?
(edited 9 years ago)
Would you choose to die over a spat with a receptionist?

I would choose to go to another clinic. What's the point in being registered with them if I cant see a doctor when Im ill?
Are you being hostile for any particular reason?

Latest