The Student Room Group

Worse University Experiences? Post away! All rants welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgy Git
Did you manage to file a complaint, or did you sit and take the mess?

Complained and nothing happened so we knocked on his door the next morning telling him to clean up but he didn't until a good few hours later, however maintenance were due round because of the power cut so it was left to us to wipe up the cocaine. He did it again but we were all back at home for the weekend so returned to the mess, bin smashed to pieces, rotting food and a hole in the kitchen wall, complained again and some dude came round and took pictures of the hole but nothing came of it. Annoying thing was is that the flatmate was rarely in anyway to talk to him about it, i saw him mainly at fire drills than any other time!
Reply 21
Original post by EmmyLauren
Complained and nothing happened so we knocked on his door the next morning telling him to clean up but he didn't until a good few hours later, however maintenance were due round because of the power cut so it was left to us to wipe up the cocaine. He did it again but we were all back at home for the weekend so returned to the mess, bin smashed to pieces, rotting food and a hole in the kitchen wall, complained again and some dude came round and took pictures of the hole but nothing came of it. Annoying thing was is that the flatmate was rarely in anyway to talk to him about it, i saw him mainly at fire drills than any other time!

That's ridiculous, poor you :frown:
Original post by nohomo
My halls smelled of fart/poo.

Also, one time, loads of people were in my flat, and I was too socially phobic to make any noise in my room. So I pissed in the sink, and then washed it away, and everyone outside my room was like, "Why does the flat stink of piss?" :rofl:

You pissed in your bedroom sink because you were too scared to go out of your room and use the communal toilet, :confused:
Reply 23
Original post by Ruffiio
You pissed in your bedroom sink because you were too scared to go out of your room and use the communal toilet, :confused:

It happens ... probably social anxiety
woah now i'm worried about staying in the halls at uni ._.
My experience starts from when I was offered my place on the on-campus accommodation. I had to have my nanna help with the £250 deposit because I couldn't afford it.

Fresher's was fine - everyone seemed fine.

One of my flatmates became a complete ****, started shouting and playing music really loud, as well as being horrible to me and another flatmate (as we were the only girls in the otherwise all-boy flat).

My course itself was atrocious. The two-and-a-half-hour lectures on the Wednesday morning were horrid, as we weren't allowed a break like usual, so we sat there, dying for the toilet. The tutors were patronising, and the group I worked with for one project was okay in some areas, but the boys in the group were self-centred and wouldn't allow any views from the rest of us.

I was paying the same amount of money for my pokey room as my flatmate was for a larger room. Oh, and I wasn't able to transfer accommodation payments from my nanna's bank account to mine (this comes in later).

I began to feel under the weather, and I was then diagnosed with stress. I knew that I didn't want to be there, and with everyone else's eyebrows raised, I left.

But then they started taking another accommodation payment out of my nanna's account. So I had to keep going back and forth to try and sort it out, but to no avail. I had a different story told to me each time, and I was at one point told that I was around £48 in credit (I really don't know how) and the university took around £351 for the accommodation payment, and that in order for me to receive money, I would have to pay them the difference.

Not only that, but the Citizen's Advice Bureau refused me an appointment to see them, and my nanna refused to go to a solicitor for the money. So, not only was it up to me to sort out the university's mistakes, I also had to repay the money owed to my nanna MYSELF (while earning next to nothing) until I had 'learned my lesson'.

I was since also diagnosed with moderate depression and severe anxiety.
When I was in halls, I had flatmates who came in at 3 in the morning, being all noisy and waking me up. They wouldn't stop being noisy until 9 in the morning. They wouldn't listen to me so I moved out.
Original post by JulietheCat
When I was in halls, I had flatmates who came in at 3 in the morning, being all noisy and waking me up. They wouldn't stop being noisy until 9 in the morning. They wouldn't listen to me so I moved out.

what did they say when you asked them to be quieter?
and how did they react to you leaving, upset or?

This doesn't sound that bad.... If this is your worst experience then you've not had a bad few years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jesscann1
what did they say when you asked them to be quieter?
and how did they react to you leaving, upset or?

They laughed at me and called me a "loser". And they didn't seem to care that I left for a private flat.

Original post by ElChapo
This doesn't sound that bad.... If this is your worst experience then you've not had a bad few years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aside from the halls flatmates issue and my flatmate hallucinating about a drunken monkey in a society event, it's all been good :borat:
One of my flatmates left a load of **** cooking after a night out and had obviously gone to sleep :unimpressed: Luckily I came in at about 4am, found the kitchen full of smoke and sorted it out.

Generally living in a block with some complete idiots.

I was pretty lucky in terms of experiences though :redface:
Reply 31
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

So this is expected? Oh God...:frown:
I would be so pissed off if people came into the flat all drunk and noisy every day. I wouldn't mind if it's a Friday night or a Saturday night, because I don't have morning lectures to go to. But I seriously can't sleep when it's noisy, regardless of how tired I am.
Reply 32
Which universities did you go to guys? Are bad experiences more common in certain universities?
Original post by AnharM
Which universities did you go to guys? Are bad experiences more common in certain universities?

I go to Loughborough, I would imagine that this happens at almost every university though. When people go on a night out and they come back drunk they dont tend to go straight to bed. They will linger and chat, I locked my door so my flatmates wouldn't enter. Unless you go to a university where nobody likes to go on nights out, then you are likely to experience this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by ElChapo
I go to Loughborough, I would imagine that this happens at almost every university though. When people go on a night out and they come back drunk they dont tend to go straight to bed. They will linger and chat, I locked my door so my flatmates wouldn't enter. Unless you go to a university where nobody likes to go on nights out, then you are likely to experience this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to Bristol...so there'll definitely be people there getting drunk every night. I just hope I don't get a room that's close to the kitchen, apparently that's where everyone goes to, where they all chat and stuff.

Btw, does everybody go to those costume parties? Where you have to dress up? And those Halloween parties? It just seems so long, I don't want to put paint on my face and then wash it off in the night, and I certainly would like to save my money rather than blow it off to some **** Halloween costumes that I'll never wear again. Will I be pressured to participate?
Original post by AnharM
I'm going to Bristol...so there'll definitely be people there getting drunk every night. I just hope I don't get a room that's close to the kitchen, apparently that's where everyone goes to, where they all chat and stuff.

Btw, does everybody go to those costume parties? Where you have to dress up? And those Halloween parties? It just seems so long, I don't want to put paint on my face and then wash it off in the night, and I certainly would like to save my money rather than blow it off to some **** Halloween costumes that I'll never wear again. Will I be pressured to participate?

I didn't really take part in any fancy dress because I didn't wanna waste money on gay outfits personally.
Original post by Dodgy Git
Was on a Foundation Year this year studying Politics and Social Science.

Got an unconditional offer, which I was pleased with, so I decided to go to Keele up North in the Staffs.

Get there, everything sound, no issues with making friends (and a girlfriend) - great nights out on Fresher's week, ladi daa ..

After Fresher's week, all hell breaks loose:

- These three year-three morons start taking food from the fridges, and the fridges on the girls floor. Pizzas, pasta, ketchup, chicken all go disappearing. Uni staff don't do anything about it.

- Fast forward a couple of weeks of general disturbances our kitchen gets wrecked. Dirty pots, pans and cutlery every where; rice and pasta clogging up the sinks that hadn't been drained for weeks; egg crack open on the floor and bins over flowing - typical Uni life apparently, yet Uni staff don't do anything!

- Months go in, mess still gets worse. I was awake one night, early hours of Thursday (3 am) working. I hear the voices of these 3 pricks, shouting and carrying on. Goes quiet, then I hear one of them laughing and then doors slamming. Next morning, I'm woken up at 8:30 by the cleaners: "come check this out" they both say ... there's a long, spotted-dick shaped **** on the toilet - yes ON the toilet where the lid is with all the valves and fitting. Next we find out that the kitchen has been ransacked, pots and pans thrown out the window, rubbish bags that were on the grass close to the entrance door opened up by foxes and rats, bins full to well past the brim, eggs EVERYWHERE, ketchup, mayo, brown sauces on the ceiling, cupboards, ovens; sinks filled with murky water with bits of chicken floating around .... just pure havoc ... Cleaners call Uni staff ... Uni staff close the doors to the kitchen for 2 days ... Yet no one steps forward to complain about the 3 dudes, even though 3-4 of us heard them that night.

- Then, after my ex breaks up with me for reasons I am to blame for, I get attacked my ex friend (neighbour) for NO reason (!) with a lighter and a deodorant can to the face (eyes). I hit him instinctively out of self defence and then EVERYONE turns against me calling me a bully?

- After weeks of thinking and over thinking I decide to move to another dorm - I now realise I should've moved sooner! Spent 5-6 months in complete depression eating pot noodles for lunch and dinner. I was a wreck, I din't know what to do about it, and I'm to proud to go ask for therapy!

- Had a meeting, organised by me, to see this ex prick friend of mine with the Head of Accommodation. Nothing remotely good comes from it. My ex friend was like "I just want to be friends with him again", so I agree we could give it a try, but 4 months after giving my number, I've had no texts or calls, so I can safely call him a massive ****.

So I was a mouse for the rest of my University year ... didn't talk to anyone, barely went on nights out .... :/

What about you guys, can you top this off?

One of my housemates always had her boyfriend around and was having loud sex :/ It was like an earthquake was happening...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by EmmyLauren

I see your location is Nottingham?

Do you go to uni in notts? If so, which one?
Reply 38
They laughed at me and called me a "loser". And they didn't seem to care that I left for a private flat.

Aside from the halls flatmates issue and my flatmate hallucinating about a drunken monkey in a society event, it's all been good :borat:

Which uni was this?
Original post by cdude
Which uni was this?

QMUL :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending