The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordooooom
I don't think a sportsman who plays in a sport which only 2 or 3 countries actually care about should count. So any American sport/cricket etc

Cricket is the 2nd most popular sport after football in the world.
Phelps should get no votes.

He was at swimming, sure, but the only reason he gets so many medals is because (for some reason) swimming has different events for different strokes. I can't think of any other sport that does this.

A race is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. To arbitrarily add rules like "now you have to go backwards" or "now you have to flap your arms like a chicken" is ridiculous. Imagine if these were added to the 100m: not only would it be comical, but Usain Bolt would still win, and he'd be the one with 20 Olympic golds.

Don Bradman is one who stands head shoulders above all his peers. But is cricket a global enough sport?

I've always been impressed with multisport athletes, so would consider Bo Jackson and Jeff Wilson.

I've always thought that decathletes (and heptathletes) were the most impressive in athletics, and when I was younger Roman Sebrle was the man.
Original post by mikeyd85
That is true and probably should be taken in to consideration - quality of field is important. This is why I vote for Loeb. He's dominated WRC, holds the record for Pikes Peak and is 3rd in WTCC in his first season of road racing. He's proven himself against the best of the best time and time again. Granted, Citroen haven't been slouches either, which does maybe make it harder to argue for a motorsports person in general, especially compared to individual athletes such as Ali.

Very good point. The best drivers will tend to be signed by the best teams, but people will always argue that a less talented driver would win in the best car.
Original post by cole-slaw
Bradman, by a country mile.

Massive fail for putting "ever" in thread title, and then only including sportsmen from the past 30 years.

Pele
Ali
Reply 64
Original post by manchesterunited15
Pele
Ali

Check PM's pls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Donald Bradman.
Pele
Ali

Yeah, that's why I can't understand you didn't include Bradman.

Bo Jackson should have probably been there too, but he's much more famous amongst Americans. But to dominate two sports at the same time is some achievement.

You put a lot of footballers in, which I'm not sure is a fair representation. Most would go for Pele or Maradona anyway. And most would go for Messi over Ronaldo. I wouldn't include Messi or Ronaldo in the poll.

Nadal's seen as second to Federer really. No one's going to vote for him. Maybe if he breaks Federer's record no. of Grand slams, then he deserves to be mentioned.

Bit weird to include Lebron and miss out Michael Jordan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KrazyKoala

Bo Jackson should have probably been there too, but he's much more famous amongst Americans. But to dominate two sports at the same time is some achievement.

Or for that matter, CB Fry.

You put a lot of footballers in, which I'm not sure is a fair representation. Most would go for Pele or Maradona anyway. And most would go for Messi over Ronaldo. I wouldn't include Messi or Ronaldo in the poll.

Nadal's seen as second to Federer really. No one's going to vote for him. Maybe if he breaks Federer's record no. of Grand slams, then he deserves to be mentioned.

Bit weird to include Lebron and miss out Michael Jordan.

There's more footballers than anything else because football is the most popular sport so its harder to be the best.

How can you not include Messi? Plenty of people already consider him the best footballer ever.

I wouldn't vote for Nadal but I understand the logic. 5 years younger than Federer, only 3 less grand slams. By Federers age Nadal will probably have caught up.
Reply 69
Without any doubt a guy called Jim Thorpe.

He won Olympic Gold medals in decathlon and pentathlon, also making World Records.

He also played professional basketball.

He also played Baseball for the New York Giants.

He also played in the NFL.

He played college lacrosse.

He also won a ballroom dancing championship.

No-one will ever be able to touch that.
There's more footballers than anything else because football is the most popular sport so its harder to be the best.

How can you not include Messi? Plenty of people already consider him the best footballer ever.

I wouldn't vote for Nadal but I understand the logic. 5 years younger than Federer, only 3 less grand slams. By Federers age Nadal will probably have caught up.

Even if Nadal overtakes Federer, still most will consider Federer better as he had dominance on 3 different slams and reached a higher peak. While Nadal has greater dominance on one slam, albeit more dominance than any of Federer's. But certainly at this present time, no one really will vouch for nadal to be the greatest.

You can see that virtually no footballers have got a vote at all in the poll. And that's partly due to there isn't one footballer who is head and shoulders over the rest (in terms of all time).

It kind of shows when the top vote is other, you're missing some of the people that really should have been included in the poll.
Even if Nadal overtakes Federer, still most will consider Federer better as he had dominance on 3 different slams and reached a higher peak. While Nadal has greater dominance on one slam, albeit more dominance than any of Federer's. But certainly at this present time, no one really will vouch for nadal to be the greatest.

You can see that virtually no footballers have got a vote at all in the poll. And that's partly due to there isn't one footballer who is head and shoulders over the rest (in terms of all time).

It kind of shows when the top vote is other, you're missing some of the people that really should have been included in the poll.

But if Nadal was to become the player with the most grand slams, as he's on course to be, it would be a very strong argument for him being the best. He's won each GS though, and his level of domination on clay is incredible.

Exactly. There's a few footballers around the same level, so it makes sense to give several options for them. If you're going to complain about 4 footballers you should also complain about 2 boxers. How many people do boxing compared to football...

You're only allowed 16 options in the poll so I couldn't have included all the ones being suggested. Most of the 'other' votes will be for Don Bradman, so I missed one person that should definitely be there.
Sebastien Loeb
9 x World Rally Championships
3 x Race of Champions
X Games Gold Medalist
2nd Place at Le Mans
Pikes Peak WR Holder

Easily the greatest in Motorsport and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time
But if Nadal was to become the player with the most grand slams, as he's on course to be, it would be a very strong argument for him being the best. He's won each GS though, and his level of domination on clay is incredible.

Exactly. There's a few footballers around the same level, so it makes sense to give several options for them. If you're going to complain about 4 footballers you should also complain about 2 boxers. How many people do boxing compared to football...

You're only allowed 16 options in the poll so I couldn't have included all the ones being suggested. Most of the 'other' votes will be for Don Bradman, so I missed one person that should definitely be there.

Well yeah Floyd in there is a bit weird, considering most would go for Ali.

My point about the footballer one, is those who vote greatest of all time will usually compare sports. They will not look at the same sport, they will pick the best of that sport and compare. While guys like Ronaldo and Messi are indeed great, if you asked the majority who is the greatest footballer out of the four, I'm pretty sure Maradona and Pele would win. In fact pretty sure Pele would win, given his status in football, not even guys like Messi or Ronaldo command that. One thing as well Messi nor Ronaldo has won a world cup, which counts against them a bit in most people's eyes compared to Pele and Maradona.

Jordan instead of Lebron would be a given, but most people don't follow Basketball here. If it was an american forum, there would probably be an uproar of him being left out. Same with Bo Jackson. Babe Ruth again, but the thing about Baseball is that it isn't popular around the world, most countries don't play it. Bo Jackson's got the two sports thing going for him.

It's more setting up the poll to which people are inclined to pick. I do understand perhaps your reasons for including four footballers, but most aren't going to see it that way as I've explained earlier.

Reading my previous posts, perhaps I'm coming off a bit nasty/complaining too much and if so I apologise. It's an interesting thread. I don't wish to offend. Just stating my opinion about the poll options.
I grew up with knowing about Tiger woods and Michael Schumacher, as Father and Grandad would be watching them sports, it kind of grown on me so I went with Tiger Woods
Reply 75
Kelly Slater

11x World Champion

Youngest person (20) and oldest (39) to ever win the world title and he is still top of his league.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fernando Alonso

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Federer >>
Reply 78
Original post by Bsola
Kelly Slater

11x World Champion

Youngest person (20) and oldest (39) to ever win the world title and he is still top of his league.

No because he has a girls name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Id say Nadal has already surpassed Federer tbh. 5 years younger, missed significant chunks of his career through injury and still 2nd all time on the GS list in the most competitive era ever. Federers achievements are brilliant but for a lot of his GS wins there was no one decent or consistent enough to challenge him. I think Nadals head to head record in GSs v the other big 4 says it all for me. 25-7, Federer is 12-16, Djokovic 12-17 and Murray 5-14.

I can't find the exact stats but Nadal has had to play the other big 4 on more occasions en route to winning his slams aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest