The Student Room Group

Which A Levels for Architecture?

I'm going to be choosing my A levels soon and I was wondering which A levels universities liked for architecture? I'm predicted an A in my art gcse but I was wondering if A level art is necessary to go to a good uni, because I've heard it's really hard at A level?
Reply 1
I'm not personally doing architecture although I think some people who were in my art class for A level were thinking about it, maybe graphic design, art and maths would be a good mix. Art a level is obviously going to be harder than GCSE, I found that it was probably one of the biggest gaps out of my subjects. They say that AS is 3x as difficult as GCSE and A2 is 3x as difficult AS. To be honest it is hard work like any subject but you'll be fine with an A prediction honestly. If you're worried that good unis will look down at art then that's incorrect, I'm hoping to go to Newcastle in Sept (Russel Group) and people in my art class have had offers from Cambridge etc so don't let it put you off. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Izzie1996
I'm not personally doing architecture although I think some people who were in my art class for A level were thinking about it, maybe graphic design, art and maths would be a good mix. Art a level is obviously going to be harder than GCSE, I found that it was probably one of the biggest gaps out of my subjects. They say that AS is 3x as difficult as GCSE and A2 is 3x as difficult AS. To be honest it is hard work like any subject but you'll be fine with an A prediction honestly. If you're worried that good unis will look down at art then that's incorrect, I'm hoping to go to Newcastle in Sept (Russel Group) and people in my art class have had offers from Cambridge etc so don't let it put you off. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks! Glad to hear art isn't looked down upon - I think I'll go for art graphics a level :smile:
Reply 3
Glad I helped a bit, good luck :smile:
Original post by custardcream22
I'm going to be choosing my A levels soon and I was wondering which A levels universities liked for architecture? I'm predicted an A in my art gcse but I was wondering if A level art is necessary to go to a good uni, because I've heard it's really hard at A level?

art isn't hard at a level, it's just a lot of hard work! (: still vey enjoyable though, and sets you in good stead for architecture, plus it makes putting together a portfolio so much easier!
on the whole, you want a nice blend between arts/humanities and sciences/maths, showing you're a well rounded person! i took art/chem/physics/maths which is definitely the more technical approach!
contrary to popular belief, you don't need maths and physics - just one tends to suffice, though there are still plenty of options if you don't take either (though you do cut out the likes of bath/cambridge etc).
in short, take subjects you enjoy that will get you the grades you need! art is definitely a good bet though! (:
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I'm going to Newcastle uni to study architecture this sept. For my a levels I did fine art, photography, product design and I media, they were all the creative subjects and although I really enjoyed them all I wouldn't recommend doing 4 creative alevels at the same time. I really don't want to put you off or anything but there was an awful amount of work and I was constantly stressing and that had an affect on my final grades. Newcastle asks for AAA and I only got BBC so I thought I'd have no chance of getting into Newcastle. But thanks to do a foundation year in art and design, I got accepted :smile:)) I'd highly recommend doing a foundation year before going onto uni because it prepares you for a creative degree and it gives your application an extra edge over those who only have alevels. But anyway, I'd say a good mix of one or 2 creative subjects including art, and whatever else you feel like you will gain a good grade would be good, and then doing a foundation year! :smile:
Original post by custardcream22

I am a 2nd Year Architecture Student and I did Physics, Maths, Art and Chemistry at A-levels. From my point of view, I think Art helped me a lot throughout the course, things like sketch books which you've produced will most definitely be assessed and graded at the end of the year; so Art really is essential (and also help in Essay writing too). Unis such as UCL require Art at A-levels.
But remember Architecture is not just about being artistic, there's also Engineering studies involved, you will definitely be lectured on that at university so it may be wise to understand a bit of mechanics beforehand.
Reply 7
Original post by C0nn0rrr
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I'm going to Newcastle uni to study architecture this sept. For my a levels I did fine art, photography, product design and I media, they were all the creative subjects and although I really enjoyed them all I wouldn't recommend doing 4 creative alevels at the same time. I really don't want to put you off or anything but there was an awful amount of work and I was constantly stressing and that had an affect on my final grades. Newcastle asks for AAA and I only got BBC so I thought I'd have no chance of getting into Newcastle. But thanks to do a foundation year in art and design, I got accepted :smile:)) I'd highly recommend doing a foundation year before going onto uni because it prepares you for a creative degree and it gives your application an extra edge over those who only have alevels. But anyway, I'd say a good mix of one or 2 creative subjects including art, and whatever else you feel like you will gain a good grade would be good, and then doing a foundation year! :smile:

Im in the same boat, I am more likely to get ABC OR BCC, in art, stats and media. Can I still apply with ABB architecture requirement even if I get BCC as long as I could manage to get in foundation diploma in fine art with merit or distinction?
Reply 8
Original post by 19cvabn
Im in the same boat, I am more likely to get ABC OR BCC, in art, stats and media. Can I still apply with ABB architecture requirement even if I get BCC as long as I could manage to get in foundation diploma in fine art with merit or distinction?

Well Newcastle uni asks for AAA and I got BBC and then Distinction on foundation and got accepted. I'd still apply because most universities I looked at looked at all applications on a individual basis so it gives everyone an equal chance. Plus, having a good portfolio is really important and you'll definitely get that during foundation so yeah..apply! Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you for your advice man & goodluck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by C0nn0rrr
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, sorry for intrusion, I am currently searching universities & stressing as off the moment, if you dont mind me asking what universities did you applied to and did you get offers?
Reply 11
Original post by 19cvabn
Hey, sorry for intrusion, I am currently searching universities & stressing as off the moment, if you dont mind me asking what universities did you applied to and did you get offers?

I don't mind at all :smile: I applied to Newcastle, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, De Montfort and Robert Gordon and I got into all of them. And btw, its a good thing your searching this early but there's no point in stressing just yet :P Good luck! :smile:
I know people who are going into architecture and I know they took maths, physics and art...the fourth AS is up to you really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending