The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In all fairness, how do we know OP isn't a hypochondriac, constantly making appointments and wasting NHS resources over nothing?

I'm not saying that's the case at all, just that we are only hearing one side of the story. It is a very strange situation..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I would choose to go to another clinic. What's the point in being registered with them if I cant see a doctor when Im ill?

You have an appointment on thursday and you apparently receive two appointments per week.
(edited 9 years ago)
If it were that urgent than an ambulance would have been sent. GP surgeries do not have the funding any more to waste on people who just 'feel sick' and the receptionist was right to turn you away. It can't be that bad if you've turned on your computer and posted on the internet to moan about it.
Original post by TolerantBeing
In all fairness, how do know OP isn't a hypochondriac, constantly making appointments and wasting NHS resources over nothing?

I'm not saying that's the case at all, just that we are only hearing one side of the story. It is a very strange situation..

I am a hypochondriac. Does that mean that the clinic shouldn't provide a basic service when I am genuinely ill?
Health anxiety is very stigmatized compared to other mental illnesses. Its not something I can easily control.
Original post by Pectorac
If it were that urgent than an ambulance would have been sent. GP surgeries do not have the funding any more to waste on people who just 'feel sick' and the receptionist was right to turn you away. It can't be that bad if you've turned on your computer and posted on the internet to moan about it.

She was completely in the wrong. She didnt offer me an appointment because of who I am, not because im not genuinely sick.

I was following the advise given to me through 111.
I was following the advise given to me through 111.

111 would have called you an ambulance if it were that serious. How do you know it was because of who you are?
She was completely in the wrong. She didnt offer me an appointment because of who I am, not because im not genuinely sick.

If you're really worried, call 111 back and ask them if your appointment on thursday is suitable given whatever your current condition is. If not, they will direct you to other services.
Original post by shiggydiggy
lol, I'm just reciting what you yourself said previously, so I know that much.

Do you always get upset when you don't get your way?

If you're really studying medicine, why cant you find something better to do with your time than trying to upset other people?

It sounds like you always go in for silly things all the time and they're sick of you if that's the case, the boy who cried wolf, how often do you go? And why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
111 would have called you an ambulance if it were that serious. How do you know it was because of who you are?

Because I have an arrangement with them. Read the op.
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
It sounds like you always go in for silly things all the time and they're sick of you if that's the case, the boy who cried wolf, how often do you go? And why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you realise how offensive that into someone with severe health anxiety? How would you like to spend most of your hours worrying about having a heart attack or dying from some serious illness? I cant go and see my dying grandmother in Spain, thats how bad I am. Do you have any idea what that feels like?
I would choose to go to another clinic. What's the point in being registered with them if I cant see a doctor when Im ill?
Are you being hostile for any particular reason?

Literally in all the posts i've seen of this guy he always seems so aggressive and hostile. I wouldn't take it personal, I try not to
Do you realise how offensive that into someone with severe health anxiety? How would you like to spend most of your hours worrying about having a heart attack or dying from some serious illness? I cant go and see my dying grandmother in Spain, thats how bad I am. Do you have any idea what that feels like?

Mental health issues aren't deemed "serious" enough op, i feel you
Reply 34
Thanks. I would complain but as I said all complaints in the surgery are dealt with by my GP, who is responsible for my not getting an appt today (she pretty much runs the clinic) as she set up the unique arrangement I have with her. I think she would file my complaint under B-I-N.

if she is fully booked there is not alot you can do and they can do either unless its urgent and they will allow you to see someone else. I spent some time on work experience with a doctor who was working from 9am until 8pm with patients (he was the most favourite at the surgery) and even during his lunch break whilst eating, he was making phone calls in between to patients who wanted an appointment to see what he could do and if they can squeeze them in with someone or himself.
There would literally be no time to squeeze other patients that day unless they would wait until he was next available or see another doctor from looking at his timetable and he only has 10 mins with each patient.
Because I have an arrangement with them. Read the op.

I have read it. She wouldn't give you an appointment because you didn't need the appointment, arrangement or not. Do not go to A&E because of whatever this is; that would be a waste of everyone's time and NHS money. They won't do anything for you in A&E because there's probably nothing physically they can do, and you''ll wait hours to be told this. Go to bed.
I have read it. She wouldn't give you an appointment because you didn't need the appointment, arrangement or not. Do not go to A&E because of whatever this is; that would be a waste of everyone's time and NHS money. They won't do anything for you in A&E because there's probably nothing physically they can do, and you''ll wait hours to be told this. Go to bed.

I did need the appointment, and I was advised to get one by a nurse on 111. she didn't give me an appointment because it was me. the guy standing behind me got one so there were still doctors available, they could have fit me in.
you don't know how I'm feeling or what my illness is.
Reply 37
Something happened today which really takes the biscuit. Yesterday night I was sick, and I was advised by 111 to call the GP in the morning to make an urgent appointment. Because I'm a regular patient there is an agreement that I will be seen twice a week by the same doctor. I understood that if I was sick and needed an urgent appointment, I would still be seen, however when I called the receptionist said I was only allowed to see that doctor and she wasn't available today. She then practically accused me of making up my own sickness. she didn't give me an apt, not because there were no doctors available, but because it was me. I am very angry and upset about this. the staff are now not only being rude, they are being hostile.
what can I do about this? Should I wait until I see my doctor and tell them what happened, or should I just change surgeries? this isn't the first time I've been treated unfairly and I don't want to be in this situation again. I still feel sick and I will probably go to A&E for something that could have been addressed at the clinic.
I don't believe I can rely on them anymore when I'm ill but I wanted other people's opinion.

Tell your doctor.
Personally though, I'd go into the surgery, ask for the receptionist and confront her. She has absolutely NO grounds for what you have explained
I did need the appointment, and I was advised to get one by a nurse on 111. she didn't give me an appointment because it was me. the guy standing behind me got one so there were still doctors available, they could have fit me in.
you don't know how I'm feeling or what my illness is.

You didn't get the appointment because you were deemed not to need it, and the guy behind you was. Do you have any idea what GPs do? They don't just see patients in the surgery; they deal with patients in the community, write prescriptions, reports, medical histories, etc for appointment patients and for patients the GPs and community nurses see in their own homes. They refer patients to other services, operating theatres, etc. They raise and take part in ongoing patient safeguarding issues, deal with the families of patients in the community, etc. They do not have time to see somebody who clearly isn't ill and is just 'anxious' over unnecessary things.
Thanks. I would complain but as I said all complaints in the surgery are dealt with by my GP, who is responsible for my not getting an appt today (she pretty much runs the clinic) as she set up the unique arrangement I have with her. I think she would file my complaint under B-I-N.

You could complain to the NHS Ombudsman if you feel it's sufficiently serious.

If you want to try make some money you can probably find a lawyer desperate enough to take you on no win-no fee but it'd be a pretty tenuous case at best.

Edit: Probably scratch the latter, if you have anxiety issues you'll likely compound them under cross examination and make a **** witness (no offence, just true that people with anxiety issues are easier to break on the witness stand).
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest