The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I did need the appointment, and I was advised to get one by a nurse on 111. she didn't give me an appointment because it was me. the guy standing behind me got one so there were still doctors available, they could have fit me in.
you don't know how I'm feeling or what my illness is.

You did have an appointment. It is on Thursday. So go to it.

If you cannot wait till then call 111.
Original post by Pectorac
You didn't get the appointment because you were deemed not to need it, and the guy behind you was. Do you have any idea what GPs do? They don't just see patients in the surgery; they deal with patients in the community, write prescriptions, reports, medical histories, etc for appointment patients and for patients the GPs and community nurses see in their own homes. They refer patients to other services, operating theatres, etc. They raise and take part in ongoing patient safeguarding issues, deal with the families of patients in the community, etc. They do not have time to see somebody who clearly isn't ill and is just 'anxious' over unnecessary things.

I didn't get an appointment because she didn't believe me. Yesterday I had severe stomach cramps and I was throwing up. I explained this to her. I explained I'd called 111 and what they advised me to do. I still wasn't given an appointment because I'm only allowed to see one doctor twice a week, and if I happen to fall ill at any other point during the week, I cant' see anyone!
I wont be made to feel like ive committed some sort of crime.
why do you think 111 advised me to see a doctor? for the fun of it?
Original post by Le Nombre
You could complain to the NHS Ombudsman if you feel it's sufficiently serious.

If you want to try make some money you can probably find a lawyer desperate enough to take you on no win-no fee but it'd be a pretty tenuous case at best.

Edit: Probably scratch the latter, if you have anxiety issues you'll likely compound them under cross examination and make a **** witness (no offence, just true that people with anxiety issues are easier to break on the witness stand).

I don't want money. I just want to be treated as a person, and not as a problem.
Do you realise how offensive that into someone with severe health anxiety? How would you like to spend most of your hours worrying about having a heart attack or dying from some serious illness? I cant go and see my dying grandmother in Spain, thats how bad I am. Do you have any idea what that feels like?

I'm sure it feels terrible, however it's selfish to waste a doctors time to make you feel better every time you get worried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
You did have an appointment. It is on Thursday. So go to it.

If you cannot wait till then call 111.

I already did that. 111 said to get an appointment for today.
I didn't get an appointment because she didn't believe me. Yesterday I had severe stomach cramps and I was throwing up. I explained this to her. I explained I'd called 111 and what they advised me to do. I still wasn't given an appointment because I'm only allowed to see one doctor twice a week, and if I happen to fall ill at any other point during the week, I cant' see anyone!
I wont be made to feel like ive committed some sort of crime.
why do you think 111 advised me to see a doctor? for the fun of it?

Why do you not realise that stomach cramps and throwing up are not worthy of a GP appointment? What do you expect them to do? You'll throw up antibiotics (which won't have any effect anyway), you'll throw up painkillers, you can buy hot drinks and Lemsip over the counter, etc. I think it's fair enough that you're not allowed to have more than 2 GP appointments a week; it's a service for everyone who is actually sick, not a club for people who obsess about little things. I think they've been extremely nice to you by guaranteeing you 2 appointments a week and you're being selfish by asking for any more. Anything else you might 'fall sick' with should be discussed at your next set appointment, not at the drop of a hat at your earliest convenience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Phone 111 and ask them if your Thursday appointment is suitable, and if it is then just go to that one.

Are you getting treatment for your hypochondria? If you're going twice a week due to that, you do realise you're depriving 2 people of having an appointment every single week. I understand it's a MH issue since you're health worry is irrational, but you probably need CBT or other therapy to combat it. Ask your GP if this hasn't been suggested already. Perhaps, also try to test how rational you're worry is using statistics etc. That way, you'll need less GP appointments and they'll take you more seriously when you actually have a real illness instead of it being due to worry or anxiety of thinking you're ill. It'll help you out in the long run too. Take care OP. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
I'm sure it feels terrible, however it's selfish to waste a doctors time to make you feel better every time you get worried

Posted from TSR Mobile

but this time I really am ill.
I'm not selfish, youre insensitive. you would do exactly the same if you felt like I did. doctors aren't gods, they are supposed to help people.
I don't want money. I just want to be treated as a person, and not as a problem.

Complain to the Ombudsman then, they can investigate if they feel it's a serious complaint.

Again you may have to undergo something not unlike cross exam, but thats an inevitable part of any investigatory process, they can't just take your word for it.
I already did that. 111 said to get an appointment for today.

Then call them back and say you cannot get an appointment.

If it was actually urgent then you would have gone to A and E instead of faffing around on here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by C'est la vie :P
Phone 111 and ask them if your Thursday appointment is suitable, and if it is then just go to that one.

Are you getting treatment for your hypochondria? If you're going twice a week due to that, you do realise you're depriving 2 people of having an appointment every single week. I understand it's a MH issue since you're health worry is irrational, and you probably need CBT or other therapy to combat it. Perhaps, also try to test how rational you're worry is using statistics etc. That way, you'll need less GP appointments and they'll take you more seriously when you actually have a real illness instead of it being due to worry or anxiety. It'll help you out in the long run too. Take care OP. :smile:

here we go again. why am I being made to feel like some sort of criminal. I see her for 5 MINUTES. what's more, these appointments were her idea, not mine. ive had CBT. I'm doing everything I can. but I shouldn't have to justify myself.
if youre ignorant of a problem like mine then don't try to dish out meaningless advice.
Original post by Le Nombre
Complain to the Ombudsman then, they can investigate if they feel it's a serious complaint.

Again you may have to undergo something not unlike cross exam, but thats an inevitable part of any investigatory process, they can't just take your word for it.

I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. theyd say what a lot of people on here have said, that I'm just a waste of NHS resources.
You won't get this arrangement - of a guaranteed twice weekly arrangement - anywhere else. How did you get your gp to offer this?!!

the receptionist was following the instruction that you can only be seen by one GP that has made this arrangement which is reasonable given you already go twice a week.

Since you are wanting to go more often it is understandably unique situation that you should clarify on Thursday. You said that you felt you could be seen if urgent but I doubt this was your practice opinion. The receptionist has been told you were to see only one doctor and they are away. Just clarify when you see your doctor again.

Nhs 111 is a terrible service for hypochondriac - you call for reassurance but you will get told go to a&e or urgent gp appointment for everything else - not the reassurance you need, particular with anxiety disorders.

Best of luck x
but this time I really am ill.
I'm not selfish, youre insensitive. you would do exactly the same if you felt like I did. doctors aren't gods, they are supposed to help people.

Yes you're being sick, so what? Most people get stomach bugs now and again, most don't go to the doctors every time they're physically sick, I'm pretty sure most doctors would say someone who was sick one night demanding an emergency appointment is wasting their time, unless theirs blood in the vomit then there's real cause for concern or it's been more than a couple of days

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, you aren't dying, you'll be OK till Thursday, just hang in there :smile:

Just keep telling yourself its probably just a stomach bug and you can make it through. How's the chundering? Has it let up at all?

Your doctor sounds amazing, I don't recommend you leave. My friend with cancer struggles to get that kind of service, she seems very supportive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Yes you're being sick, so what? Most people get stomach bugs now and again, most don't go to the doctors every time they're physically sick, I'm pretty sure most doctors would say someone who was sick one night demanding an emergency appointment is wasting their time, unless theirs blood in the vomit then there's real cause for concern or it's been more than a couple of days

Posted from TSR Mobile

what part of "I was advised to see a doctor by 111" do you not understand?
go away.
I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. theyd say what a lot of people on here have said, that I'm just a waste of NHS resources.

They're an independent Ombudsman, they aren't linked to the NHS. I can't really offer you any alternative, if you don't think the GPs internal complaints system will work you should escalate to either the Ombudsman or a court, depending which you feel is appropriate.

If you don't want to use any of those then you'll just have to sit it out, I can't conjure up an alternative independent body for your complaint.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry
OP, you aren't dying, you'll be OK till Thursday, just hang in there :smile:

Just keep telling yourself its probably just a stomach bug and you can make it through. How's the chundering? Has it let up at all?

Your doctor sounds amazing, I don't recommend you leave. My friend with cancer struggles to get that kind of service, she seems very supportive.

She is not amazing. she only thinks about how much money she can make out of each patient. she has no bedside manners and most of the time shes ice cold.
feel sorry for your friend.
here we go again. why am I being made to feel like some sort of criminal. I see her for 5 MINUTES. what's more, these appointments were her idea, not mine. ive had CBT. I'm doing everything I can. but I shouldn't have to justify myself.
if youre ignorant of a problem like mine then don't try to dish out meaningless advice.

I was trying to be understanding and helpful, OP stop wallowing in your own self pity. Are you still having CBT, because if you've had it, then it clearly hasn't worked. Anyway, the idea was probably hers, probably because you saw the GP too much. I was only trying to help OP, sorry my advice seemed meaningless to you.
Reply 59
Thanks. I would complain but as I said all complaints in the surgery are dealt with by my GP, who is responsible for my not getting an appt today (she pretty much runs the clinic) as she set up the unique arrangement I have with her. I think she would file my complaint under B-I-N.

Any complains that are made that have to deal with promptly and formally.. It doesn't go straight in the bin regardless of who it is from.
Worth a shot, people take the "c" word very seriously and usually try to resolve the matter quickly before it causes a bigger issue.
This is coming from experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest