The Student Room Group

Stephen King

Any Stephen King fans using TSR? I can guarantee yous have all read or seen a film based on one if his stories!

If you are a fan, what's your favourite book/film by him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gaslight182
Any Stephen King fans using TSR? I can guarantee yous have all read or seen a film based on one if his stories!

If you are a fan, what's your favourite book/film by him?

Massive fan over here :yep:

A favourite? No idea... I'll go for The Long Walk.
I love all of his stuff really, though :tongue:

I still need to get round to reading Doctor Sleep - it's sat on my desk at the moment.
Reply 2
Different Seasons is probably my favourite, A fan of his short stories as well, and his book On Writing was revealing.
Reply 3
Original post by Caitlin_3008
Massive fan over here :yep:

A favourite? No idea... I'll go for The Long Walk.
I love all of his stuff really, though :tongue:

I still need to get round to reading Doctor Sleep - it's sat on my desk at the moment.

Doctor Sleep is really good! I don't think it's the "balls-to-the-walls" horror that he claimed it to be, but it's still very good. I'm sure you'll love the way Danny and Abra use their Shining to communicate with each other! I have the hardcover, but I'm going to buy the paperback this week because it has an extract from Revival at the back! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Swanbow
Different Seasons is probably my favourite, A fan of his short stories as well, and his book On Writing was revealing.

I haven't really read any of the short stories. I've read Night Shift, and I bought Full Dark No Stars but just haven't got round to picking them up. There's too many novels of his to read first!
Reply 5
I've only read two Stephen King books: Insomnia and Cell. I really enjoyed Insomnia, but didn't get into Cell at all really.
Reply 6
Doctor Sleep is really good! I don't think it's the "balls-to-the-walls" horror that he claimed it to be, but it's still very good. I'm sure you'll love the way Danny and Abra use their Shining to communicate with each other! I have the hardcover, but I'm going to buy the paperback this week because it has an extract from Revival at the back! :smile:

I think I'm going to start (and finish) it tonight.

Just looked, my version doesn't... :cry2:

Mine's one of the cat editions - like this:

It has Mr Mercedes in the back :yep:
Reply 7
Original post by Caitlin_3008
I think I'm going to start (and finish) it tonight.

Just looked, my version doesn't... :cry2:

Mine's one of the cat editions - like this:

It has Mr Mercedes in the back :yep:

Ah that sucks. There is two editions of the paperback though, so I think one has Mr Mercedes and one has Revival. I was in Asda not so long ago and I picked up and Revival was definitely in it, so it must be one of the two. :confused:
Reply 8
Ah that sucks. There is two editions of the paperback though, so I think one has Mr Mercedes and one has Revival. I was in Asda not so long ago and I picked up and Revival was definitely in it, so it must be one of the two. :confused:

Yeah - I'm sure you'll find it! :yep:
Reply 9
I've massively got into Stephen King over the last couple of year, read the Dark Tower series which I loved (Drawing of the Three probably my favourite of the series).

Favourite stand alone book would have to be The Stand. Currently I'm reading Cell, which would have to be my least favourite of his that I've read so far, although it's been picking up during the final act.
Original post by Yoghurt
I've massively got into Stephen King over the last couple of year, read the Dark Tower series which I loved (Drawing of the Three probably my favourite of the series).

Favourite stand alone book would have to be The Stand. Currently I'm reading Cell, which would have to be my least favourite of his that I've read so far, although it's been picking up during the final act.

I'm the same! My all time favourite of King's work is TDT series, (and I need to pick up the graphic novels as well, they look amazing) and my favourite novel is The Stand. Both of them literally couldn't be any better, regardless of how big they are!
Reply 11
Original post by tory88
I've only read two Stephen King books: Insomnia and Cell. I really enjoyed Insomnia, but didn't get into Cell at all really.

You didn't like Cell? :eek: That book was awesome!
Not really a horror fan personally, but I love Stephen King, especially the Dark Tower (couldn't pick a favourite in the series if I wanted to).
Reply 12
Dude The Mist and IT, seriously crazy stuff
Original post by VK96
Dude The Mist and IT, seriously crazy stuff

IT was epic. I think that it definitely would have been one of my all time favourites had it been cut down 100-200 pages. There was a bit too much unnecessary stuff in my opinion that didn't really help the flow of the story! :frown:
Some scenes in it were shocking, it was brilliant! Although I can't really get my head around the whole sex thing when they were kids...
Reply 14
Strangely, as a rule, I like the books that the majority is somewhat displeased with. My favourites (of the novels) would be Duma Key, Lisey's Story, Insomnia, Long Walk (and also Under the Dome, 11/22/63). The short story collections I have all enjoyed thoroughly, as well.

But it's also one of the good things about King, so many novels to choose from that there will be something for everyone.
Reply 15
IT was epic. I think that it definitely would have been one of my all time favourites had it been cut down 100-200 pages. There was a bit too much unnecessary stuff in my opinion that didn't really help the flow of the story! :frown:
Some scenes in it were shocking, it was brilliant! Although I can't really get my head around the whole sex thing when they were kids...

Yeah man, that bit was a bit weird hahaha but overall it was a masterpiece, loved watching the massive film as well!
Original post by VK96
Yeah man, that bit was a bit weird hahaha but overall it was a masterpiece, loved watching the massive film as well!

I hear they're re-making it! Into two films, one being kids, the other being adults. They NEED to make it rated R and much closer to the book, missed so much out it's unbelievable, and yet the film was still great!
Original post by asdef-
Strangely, as a rule, I like the books that the majority is somewhat displeased with. My favourites (of the novels) would be Duma Key, Lisey's Story, Insomnia, Long Walk (and also Under the Dome, 11/22/63). The short story collections I have all enjoyed thoroughly, as well.

But it's also one of the good things about King, so many novels to choose from that there will be something for everyone.

Agree with you there. He literally has a book for every genre. Proving he isn't just the horror writer everyone associates him to be.
Reply 18
I hear they're re-making it! Into two films, one being kids, the other being adults. They NEED to make it rated R and much closer to the book, missed so much out it's unbelievable, and yet the film was still great!

That sounds awesome man! And yeah a bit more gory and true to the story would be good (that rhymed btw)
I'm going to be boring and say The Shining is my favourite. First book to really scare the hell out of me.

I particularly remember:

Spoiler

I didn't realise books could actually be scary :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending