The Student Room Group

How do I get to know a girl?

Hi everyone! I've sadly just gotten over a girl who didn't want to be my friend or girlfriend for that matter, but there's another girl in my sixth form. We've brought it to each other's attention that we don't know each other very well (over messenger) but the problem is that she's really smart and intelligent and quite far out of my league, and even so, her friends are very popular and I'm not popular at all. How do I just go up and talk to her without making her feel uncomfortable? Also, I'm hoping to form not just a friendship but a relationship too, but I am willing to take it slow. How do I go about it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need to be confident in yourself. You need to have a good, likeable personality. You have to be good at talking and making conversation. And you have to have something interesting or funny to say and to talk about. If you can do all of that, then you're in.
Reply 2
Leave it. Focus on your work instead.
You'll go to uni soon and probably have to break up with her, or suffer not flirting with other girls at university, only to find out she's cheated on you, and its too late.
Reply 3
She usually isn't on her own so that's a setback

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kumon
You'll go to uni soon and probably have to break up with her, or suffer not flirting with other girls at university, only to find out she's cheated on you, and its too late.

We both intend to go to London universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Stinkum
You need to be confident in yourself. You need to have a good, likeable personality. You have to be good at talking and making conversation. And you have to have something interesting or funny to say and to talk about. If you can do all of that, then you're in.

Yeah. None of those are my strong point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by kumon

Life experience?
Reply 7
Original post by Archurus23
We both intend to go to London universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're what 16/17? You have a whole life ahead of you, stop worrying about silly girls that you will break up with.

Original post by David B
Life experience?

Personally? No. But I hear it from friends in university and people with regrets.
Reply 8
Original post by kumon
You're what 16/17? You have a whole life ahead of you, stop worrying about silly girls that you will break up with.

Personally? No. But I hear it from friends in university and people with regrets.

Alright but surely it's ok to try right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

no get grades before girls, then you'll get plenty of models and no heart break either.
-Raise your head

-Take a deep breath

-Walk through those obstacles (her friends)

-Say hi

These four steps will definitely get you talking to her.
Reply 11
Original post by Stinkum

This pretty much sums it up quite nicely^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kumon
no get grades before girls, then you'll get plenty of models and no heart break either.

Plenty of models?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mystery Me
-Raise your head

-Take a deep breath

-Walk through those obstacles (her friends)

-Say hi

These four steps will definitely get you talking to her.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no harm in trying, but don't make a big deal out of it if it doesn't work out. Infact, i recommend that you actually go for it, if all else fails then at least you will know where you stand. Things like this are great for building character.

but don't stress about it too much, after all you are going to London where the population is so diverse. So Im sure you will find plenty of eye candy there :wink: and then, you will look back at this girl wondering what all the fuss was about.

By the way nobody can ever be out of your league. Look at Beyonce & Jay Z how the hell did that happen! smile, look your best, and have a decent personality...and that should be good enough.
Hi everyone! I've sadly just gotten over a girl who didn't want to be my friend or girlfriend for that matter, but there's another girl in my sixth form. We've brought it to each other's attention that we don't know each other very well (over messenger) but the problem is that she's really smart and intelligent and quite far out of my league, and even so, her friends are very popular and I'm not popular at all. How do I just go up and talk to her without making her feel uncomfortable? Also, I'm hoping to form not just a friendship but a relationship too, but I am willing to take it slow. How do I go about it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

What do you have in common?
Original post by LarissaN
There is no harm in trying, but don't make a big deal out of it if it doesn't work out. Infact, i recommend that you actually go for it, if all else fails then at least you will know where you stand. Things like this are great for building character.

but don't stress about it too much, after all you are going to London where the population is so diverse. So Im sure you will find plenty of eye candy there :wink: and then, you will look back at this girl wondering what all the fuss was about.

By the way nobody can ever be out of your league. Look at Beyonce & Jay Z how the hell did that happen! smile, look your best, and have a decent personality...and that should be good enough.

Thank you. We already live in London. Also I'm a nice guy but I'm not confident because I'm not smart, sporty or popular

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cole-slaw
What do you have in common?

We do the same subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
We do the same subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that it? There must be something else for you to feel attracted to her.
Thank you

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest