The Student Room Group

Never had a proper job. Cv help on things to write?

I'm 21. Which i know is kind of bad to not have had job.
i've been in full time education since high school. Infact i still am at university, studying illustration.
But have found it very hard to get a job these last couple years..
I've done some voulenteery work, and have had quite a few interviews for places i've applied for, but can't seem to actually get further then interviews.
I am a shy person, i won't lie. but it don't stop me from doing things i like or want. I seem to be find the face to face with the people advertising jobs a lot easier of course. but can't seem to get my Cv noticed. being as these last couple months i've been applying for almost anything i can. but hardly hear back or if i do its due to not having experience.

I'm just wondering what i could do?
should i state that i don't have any work history, but am willing to learning new skills etc..? or i don't know if thats good to state.

i'm just sick of not being able to get a job that its getting embarrassing :frown:
Original post by art127
I'm 21. Which i know is kind of bad to not have had job.
i've been in full time education since high school. Infact i still am at university, studying illustration.
But have found it very hard to get a job these last couple years..
I've done some voulenteery work, and have had quite a few interviews for places i've applied for, but can't seem to actually get further then interviews.
I am a shy person, i won't lie. but it don't stop me from doing things i like or want. I seem to be find the face to face with the people advertising jobs a lot easier of course. but can't seem to get my Cv noticed. being as these last couple months i've been applying for almost anything i can. but hardly hear back or if i do its due to not having experience.

I'm just wondering what i could do?
should i state that i don't have any work history, but am willing to learning new skills etc..? or i don't know if thats good to state.

i'm just sick of not being able to get a job that its getting embarrassing :frown:

Maybe you could attend courses that will help achieve qualifications?

My work colleague has worked at my store for two years now. It's his first job, and he's older than me. It's retail, but "a job's a job" and so at least he's getting some work history.

Not that I know where you've applied to, but maybe you're aiming too high? especially if you're not experienced enough
Reply 2
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Maybe you could attend courses that will help achieve qualifications?

My work colleague has worked at my store for two years now. It's his first job, and he's older than me. It's retail, but "a job's a job" and so at least he's getting some work history.

Not that I know where you've applied to, but maybe you're aiming too high? especially if you're not experienced enough

I've taken a few courses this year while at uni to get my maths higher etc. which I've added to my cv.

I've applied to everything to anything. from sales assistant, picker & packer for clothing/shoes companies(Only had interviews for those) to a Cleaner, cook & deliver.
Most i've applied for have had very high interest from loads of people. some jobs do get back to me and say that along with 'we will get in touch'. but most of the time they don't bother getting back to me.
Some retail jobs won't take me as of lack of experience. which i know of. so i only apply to the ones that have training or are actually willing to train.

but Should i maybe do more volunteer work but trying different area's?
Original post by art127
I've taken a few courses this year while at uni to get my maths higher etc. which I've added to my cv.

I've applied to everything to anything. from sales assistant, picker & packer for clothing/shoes companies(Only had interviews for those) to a Cleaner, cook & deliver.
Most i've applied for have had very high interest from loads of people. some jobs do get back to me and say that along with 'we will get in touch'. but most of the time they don't bother getting back to me.
Some retail jobs won't take me as of lack of experience. which i know of. so i only apply to the ones that have training or are actually willing to train.

but Should i maybe do more volunteer work but trying different area's?

Do you apply to all retail jobs, or just those that you like the look of?

Back in 2011, after handing out over 50 CVs, and being rejected from McDonalds post-interview (if you could call it that), I got an interview and a job at a retailing company. I had no prior experience in retail, just had volunteered at schools etc. for a day or two and emphasised these points in interview.

Maybe you need to have a section devoted to hobbies on your CV? Or broaden this section if you already have it?
I imagine you have put your voluntary work on your CV? I would possibly try to do some more to add to it. After doing a few months in a charity shop I managed to get a retail job quite quickly - possibly just coincidence, but I do think it helped me in my interview. Also, make a hobbies/interests section and add only those which will help your application - no silly random information. Things like social activities, group sports or clubs are good to include if you have any.

It could be an idea to get someone to do some practise interviews with you. Maybe you're just not answering the questions well enough? Getting nervous and just answering quite simply rather than expanding on your answers?
My CV sucked (I'm 16, so I only have GCSEs to my name), so I applied to major corporations that have their own application forms online so I could just fill in the boxes instead of trying to make my CV look good.
Reply 6
Do you apply to all retail jobs, or just those that you like the look of?

Back in 2011, after handing out over 50 CVs, and being rejected from McDonalds post-interview (if you could call it that), I got an interview and a job at a retailing company. I had no prior experience in retail, just had volunteered at schools etc. for a day or two and emphasised these points in interview.

Maybe you need to have a section devoted to hobbies on your CV? Or broaden this section if you already have it?

I try applying for more then just retail. but i won't lie i try applying for things i think i would be able to excel in or have my skills fit.. but then again i'm not too bothered right now on what the job is, its just finding someone who is willing to take me on.

but also because most of my hobbies are physical and creative as in Art, sports. it quite hard to join it around my hobbies, as most people don't seem to be interested in that, they seem to want better things.. to which i don't think it helps me that all my college courses and my university course is based around Art and Illustration
if that makes sense?
its like i also done work experience in a first school when in high school in 2008. so thats way in the past now, but thats on my Cv too as learnt a bit from it.

All i kind of want is to be able to get further then interviews really or feel as though i have a chance.
Original post by art127
I try applying for more then just retail. but i won't lie i try applying for things i think i would be able to excel in or have my skills fit.. but then again i'm not too bothered right now on what the job is, its just finding someone who is willing to take me on.

but also because most of my hobbies are physical and creative as in Art, sports. it quite hard to join it around my hobbies, as most people don't seem to be interested in that, they seem to want better things.. to which i don't think it helps me that all my college courses and my university course is based around Art and Illustration
if that makes sense?
its like i also done work experience in a first school when in high school in 2008. so thats way in the past now, but thats on my Cv too as learnt a bit from it.

All i kind of want is to be able to get further then interviews really or feel as though i have a chance.

Have you read this TSR article? It might prove to come in handy for you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_the_killer_CV
Reply 8
Original post by katehlouise
I imagine you have put your voluntary work on your CV? I would possibly try to do some more to add to it. After doing a few months in a charity shop I managed to get a retail job quite quickly - possibly just coincidence, but I do think it helped me in my interview. Also, make a hobbies/interests section and add only those which will help your application - no silly random information. Things like social activities, group sports or clubs are good to include if you have any.

It could be an idea to get someone to do some practise interviews with you. Maybe you're just not answering the questions well enough? Getting nervous and just answering quite simply rather than expanding on your answers?

Yeah i think i'll try a couple more voluntary works :smile:

But sometimes i do think it might be me answering the questions wrong or just not knowing what to say.
I have grown more confident though after having a few more interviews over time in the same area so i don't get too nervous with some interviews.
Reply 9
Have you read this TSR article? It might prove to come in handy for you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_the_killer_CV

I'll have a look, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest